iPad app: need to support all screen orientations?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by digiva, Aug 24, 2011.

1. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    I heard that some iPad apps have been rejected from App Store due to them not supporting all screen orientations, instead just one i.e. fixed portrait or landscape. Is this really the case that all orientations need to be supported in iPad specific apps?

2. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    No, we've submitted 5 games for the iPad with only 1 orientation.

3. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    Ok, thanks. :)

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    you need to support at least 2: on iPad, you must be able to turn your iPad upside down and your app must support it. So, no need to support both landscape and portrait but if you support portrait, for example, you must support both portrait with home button down and portrait with home button up ( same with landscape)

BTW, iOS support that very easily, you haven't much to do to support it.

JC

5. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    I see, well that makes sense. Thanks for the info :)

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Funny thing is, while the guidelines do state that. There really are quite a number of iPad games that only support the one version of the orientation.

I guess the people factor in the review process has some chinks to it's amour :p

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I had apps rejected because of that. Are you sure they are any recent iPad apps not supporting this? This isn't mandatory for the iPhone, just the iPad.

JC

8. strayrobot1

strayrobot1 Active Member

One thing that surprised us was the amount of people requesting landscape orientation for our game. Maybe this is peculiar to our game, or perhaps most iPad games are in landscape to begin with.... anyway, something to keep in mind.

9. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just fired up the iPad and checked a few and these dont support both orientations:
    • Continuity 2
    • Rage HD
    • Tap Tanks Lite

The frustrating part about it is they usually support the wrong version of the orientation so when the iPad is on a table, laying flat and raised by it's cover the screen is the wrong way around :-(

10. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    Just curious; what is the "wrong way" in this case, is it landscape with home button on the left side or right side?

11. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    On the left

12. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

Anyone have any upto date news on this?

My app is portrait only. It does not support portrait upside down. It is a universal app so will be on iPad.

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Nah. Home button on the left is the right way when using a Smart Cover to tilt the iPad up.

It's only wrong if you're propping it right upright - like when you're watching a film.

14. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    On the left is always the right way. (Except if I'm propping it against a desk, then the volume buttons get pressed)

If not, my headphone's jack gets in the way of me being comfortable.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #15 iPadisGreat, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Just my 2ยข.

Please support both orientations for either:

Landscape (so that the [Home] button can be on the left or right), because some cases may prop up this way or that, or even if it is the wrong way, the speaker can sound louder when it is on the buttom left corner.

Portrait (so that the [Home] button can be below or on top) as people like me who use Wi-Fi will prop it upside down for better reception.

As someone else said, don't waste your time supporting both landscape and portrait modes. That is because you will need to recode all your UI elements each time you change anything, which can be a PITA...

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I always use my iPad with the Home button on the right, just because that's where the spine of my case is and I can let the flap of the case fall down onto my lap, allowing for a little more heat dissipation.

17. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

Thanks, I am supporting both portrait orientations now.