Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
It's a F2P base builder with a simple combat engine
The combat mechanics are definitively extremely simplistic. However, it should be said that in the context of freemium (and possibly social) city/base building and micromanagement, the combat engine is almost unrivalled in complexity, for the simple reason that it is interactive. The dominant norm is either fully automated battles, or combat where the only element of player control and skill is choosing where to employ troops. Which is probably the primary reason I've stayed away from the genre, more than the general lack of challenge and skill, freemium limitations and potential money-grubbing.

Little Raiders, with its simple RTS mechanics (for those of you yet to try, tap to move or target, activate special hero abilities), is still leagues and bounds beyond almost all of the competition. I only know of some rare few games within the same genre that allow similar control in battle (primarily Battle Nations, with its simple turn-based combat, and Empires of Sand's really polished tower defense engine).

I was surprised by the polish of the game as well, (bare-bones) narrative, music, graphics as well as atmosphere. I doubt it will stay on my device for long, but a short while is better than any freemium city builder before it, except for above-mentioned.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
The combat mechanics are definitively extremely simplistic. However, it should be said that in the context of freemium (and possibly social) city/base building and micromanagement, the combat engine is almost unrivalled in complexity, for the simple reason that it is interactive. The dominant norm is either fully automated battles, or combat where the only element of player control and skill is choosing where to employ troops. Which is probably the primary reason I've stayed away from the genre, more than the general lack of challenge and skill, freemium limitations and potential money-grubbing.
Oh, I didn't mean to denigrate it by saying that - just didn't want to make it out to be anything it's not. The combat is still fun and even on the missions where the odds are stacked against you there's room for some level of skill and quick thinking to turn the tide. Even when I've completely wiped I don't feel too mad at the game - the first boss knocked out everyone but Lucius - who got the final blow with a sliver of his health left - and yet I couldn't help thinking "Yeah, that was partly my fault - I could have done that better", which might not sound like much, but it's a hell of a lot more than most F2P games manage. It is turning the screws markedly tighter now (putting nine of my ten raiders on the bench put a tremendous dent in my resources, and they stay benched a lot longer at higher levels , from a few minutes up to half an hour) but it's still fun. The easy random missions are easy even with a smaller team, and they do help get you back into the game.

It is a very freemium game in many respects, and whether I manage to complete it or I give up on it I don't see much scope for replay. But it's given me a hell of a lot of entertainment value for pretty much nothing so far, so I can't complain. It deserves a lot more attention here than it's getting.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM
iPhone 4

I think this is one of the best freemium games I"ve played. The quest scenarios are varied enough. The ingame currenctly is largely something you have control over (silver, wood, food). Its got great polish, and you do not need to buy IAP. I'm now upgrading my classess in the laboratory and enjoying seeing them perform better.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm up to the swamp, but I'm holding off on questing while I just grind side missions and get everything upgraded that I can before moving on.

What are people's opinions on the best uses of amber? I've been saving them all, so far, but I've been considering spending some to open up extra crafting slots in my workshops. Alternatively, I've been wondering if I should go for a third builder or not. I don't see much use for a third builder currently, but I'm wondering if I'll wish I had one later in the game.

What's everyone else doing with their amber?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM

I opened up a slot in my archer wepon factory. I purchase the starter pack so I'm sitting on almost 450 amber and two builders. A third would be nice to level up houses quickly but it's not a need. I think I'll either save for a really high end weapon or more crafting if the game gets more difficult. I'm also in the swamp fully researched all level one items and it's almost impossible to make it through a red battle without losing one character which means I'm building a few items. Those archers just pick me off too quickly. I've almost got enough to research level two which will help. I like the idea of weapons that don't break but I'm scared if I spend amber on weapons at this point I'll be able to craft stronger weapons that break later in the game.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagegrod View Post
...I'm also in the swamp fully researched all level one items and it's almost impossible to make it through a red battle without losing one character which means I'm building a few items. Those archers just pick me off too quickly. I've almost got enough to research level two which will help.
Just made it to the next Lab level and researching more defense for my swordsmen, which will be followed by more speed, so they can better bum rush the enemy ranged fighters and die less (I get swordsman killed more often than any other class of raiders). Still have a lot of L1 stuff to go that's benefit wasn't immediately obvious.

Quote:
I like the idea of weapons that don't break but I'm scared if I spend amber on weapons at this point I'll be able to craft stronger weapons that break later in the game.
Probably a good strategy since I'm largely doing the same with my surplus amber (only thing I've spent it on is opening a 3rd slot in all my production buildings).

While the broken weapons are a silver sink, silver is more easily replaced than amber. I haven't purchased any enchanted (blue) or legendary (purple) weapons yet, but I have gotten a few from the wishing well. So far (my units all L8 & L9), the only blue to be obsoleted was a blue bow I'm pretty sure was scripted into my possession early on, but it's only 2 points behind the best bow I can craft, the others have remained unbeaten by anything I can craft so far. Of course, since you see things in the building tech tree that require Fame 43, and I'm just at 21, I know there's obviously a long way to go so holding off to see what the future brings for the same reason as you.

In as much as you do have unbreakables, I find it a better deal to put them on the raiders and use the breakable greens from the merchant/well for the heroes since they die so rarely compared to the more fragile raider units.