Which programming language?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Poo, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    So I'm half way through a Big Nerd Ranch C# book but have to use my wife's computer so I put it on hold until I can buy a copy of OSX for my Windows laptop. In the mean time I picked up a Java for beginners dummies book since it's free.

Do people make iOS games using Java? If not which language would benefit me most?

If I wanted to put the game on android or even the computer would using unity or another language work better?

If I learned C# using X-Code would the game be limited to only iOS?

2. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Well I'm installing visual studio which is taking its sweet time so I can install cocos2d-x. That's what I decided. Having the library order books for it and ordering OSX tonight in the meantime to continue C#

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Just download unity3d

It makes 2d or 3d games. It is free. C# is one of the scripting choices.

You can deploy on (if you get the licence from the company)

ios
    android
    windows
    windows phone
    osx
    wii u
    xbox
    blackberry
    playstation
    ds
    opengl
    webplayer
    linux

and more I have forgotten to include

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You cant install osx on a windows laptop. At least not in the traditional way. You need specific comparible hardware for a hackintosh.

5. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I found a tutorial online that explained step by step how to get OS X and Xcode on Windows.

Are there decent tutorials for unity? I feel like the village idiot looking at code unless I type it out to see how it's working.

6. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I'm saying "install" because the instructions to get it on a Windows laptop look easy to me.

But if unity is free I'll download that! I must have confused it with a different one thinking it wasn't free.

7. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I just started the download for unity.

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

There are also loads made by other people.

9. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks a bunch! I'm installing it right now, can't wait to start learning!

10. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Yea I would go with unity as well. Even tho it may be possible to install OS X and Xcode on a pc it's a pain in the ass and probably won't even work right. Every update will break it and it's just not worth it. Spend 300 on a Mac mini and be done with it.

11. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Would if I could. I have very bad degenerative disc disease and can't hold a job. Hurts too much no matter what I do. But I can take breaks often at home and work at my own pace. So 300$ is extremely expensive for me right now.

12. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Make your game first. Unity is make once, build for every platform. You can do most of the testing in the editor. Once you get to needing to deploy on device you know your investment will be used or you can find a friend with a mac to help you out.

You can always deploy to other platforms if you choose.

13. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Ok thanks for the advice!!! My wife has a Mac it's just hard getting time on it haha

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Then you are set. You only need the mac to deploy to device or send to app store. Rest you can do on your PC.

15. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Ok awesome thanks a bunch! I've been watching tutorial videos so far.

16. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I think you would be far better off learning C++ in the long run. This way you will know a portable language that will work on any platform, plus it will give an understanding of good programming practices.

It's all very well stating that you should just learn Unity and it's scripting languages by other people… This is actually a bad idea because it's just a tool that makes games and that's it. Say in the future you realise making games is not for you then you have wasted time on learning Unity. But a language like C++ can take you to other careers.

My advice is to learn C++… From there you can transfer those skills into other languages like Java and such, and as I mentioned it's portable and will work on any platform. It's also bad to tie yourself to one platform like learning Objective C or Swift for the Apple platforms. The key here is to know something that is portable.

17. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Not saying C++ isn't worthwhile learning (it was one of the first things I learnt) however it is rubbish to suggest C# which is a CLI doesn't have applications outside of unity. Many more jobs look for C# than C++ however the reality is you will probably need a formal education in it.

Learning in something which gets instant results does a lot for motivation to continue. All of the logical structures are the same.

18. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Back when I tried community college like 15 years ago I tried learning C+ and failed three times cause the classes are soooooooo friggin boring. Now if I tried I would be much more into sticking through the slow parts. I just can't afford taking even one class at the moment and taking more then one would be disaster as I'm watching three little ones most days and getting solid time in is hard.

I could do one class. Just need the money.
    I'm not sure they teach C# in a regular school but my knowledge is dated.

19. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I just stumbled on a learn to code by making games in unity by Ben Tristem on udemy.com says first course is 24$ so it's 51 hours of instruction/lecture for 24$.

That sounds good to me.

20. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    It's normally 200$