Why So Many Zombie Games in The Appstore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iVaro, Mar 10, 2010.

1. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    To me the whole concept is quite repetant and stale, I know that there are a few stories of success using the genre but that was when the Appstore was fresh and basically everything was new there.

I think the idea is so overused that the only thing left that would be new is a zombie-racer and I wouldnt even be surprised if it already was in the store.

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I think it's partially because you need absolutely no AI for zombies, I mean all they have to do is chase and attack you. Unlike other enemies that actually have to dodge and stuff. There are other reasons also, like it has proven to be a selling point for games so...

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I know that newer games like Plants vs Zombies have been doing quite well but the game has been praised because of its simplicity not it's creativeness

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    It's because zombies are 'in' nowadays. Not just on the appstore: Look at games in general. Can't step two feet in a game store without seeing another zombie game hanging on the wall :\

It's annoying. They need some new ideas, just like Hollywood :(

But if it's making money, why throw it away? Just like Hollywood, again.

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i like em loads! they're great! for games that is

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    And you still havn't found it boring yet?

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

not really. they just kinda seem to appeal to me.

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Done. Zombie-Karts. Not a bad game, I liked it.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I rest my case.

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i agree, there has almost been a zombie everything, now we just need zombie puzzle game and zombie fighting game

11. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    yea to be honest I like zombie games and movies! Zombieland was awesome, I reckon its even better than avatar. And as for games, yea there are heaps but there is something crazily addictive and fun about shooting hundreds of helpless zombies running towards you. Just like COD:Zombies, its awesome, and on the xbox/ps3 it seems most people played this more than the actual game.

12. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

The problem imo isn't that there are too many zombie games, its just there are too many crappy zombie games. I can count on one hand good zombie games for the iPhone. Too many games that suck just try to throw in zombies in hopes that suddenly it will be "cool" and "fun." No, a sucky game is a sucky game whether you have aliens or zombies or fish in it.

Likewise, I think a lot of people will unfortunately write off a good game just because its in an overcrowded genre.

imo zombies are just fun to kill. For some reason people are drawn to killing them.

Then again of course I'm bias ;) But in all fairness our zombie game started development last January (a year ago) before the zombie boom happened. Trust me I let out a big sigh and roll my eyes every time I see another zombie game released.

13. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    cause zombie games rock

14. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

It's because you don't have to think in these games. All you have to do is repeat the same actions over and over again and see tons and tons of cartoon blood. It's what lazy people like these days, makes themselves appear powerful by "slaying pixels and see lots of violence" when they can't win in proper games like strategy sims, racing, or chess.

15. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    Zombies pwn

16. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

@Aurora: That's not true at all. You can have mindless gore in an alien game or whatever else. If someone makes a mindless zombie shooter, then that's just called: crappy game. Really has nothing to do directly with zombies.

17. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    haha really? I mean sure they are easier than games that are focused on strategies but I dont think its because of laziness that people enjoy zombie games, its just because of the pure awesomeness of blowing something up that actually has a chance of killing you, i.e not an animal, but isnt a human, so you still have the upper hand. And the horror element makes it a bit more fun as well.

18. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Repetitive zombies dont

19. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    I think there are so many zombie games because:

1. The game would be marked too violent if we were blowing up humans. Zombies are the closest thing to humans we can machine-gun in 3d.

2. Zombies suck.

3. Everyone thinks they are "making the final and best zombie game."

20. Zallman

Zallman Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Observer
    Alaska
    #20 Zallman, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Why so many "jump" games?
    Why so many "fps" games?
    Why so many "shootemup" games?
    Why so many "tower defense" games?
    Why so many "dual stick shooter" games?

People look at what sells and they tend to go in that direction.

Zombies have been big the last few years, what can ya do about it.