iPhone games releasing before IPAD...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    My recommendation for developers:

If you release an iPhone game (such as NBA Jam) and plan to provide an IPAD release in future - you could allow IPAD users to buy the Iphone version now ...and then purchase an upgrade to the IPAD version when it's released. The upgrade could be priced to cover the price difference between iPhone / iPad.

Under the current model, ipad owners such as myself put off the purchase to await the IPad release.... but by the time that happens, the game doesn't have the same buzz and new games are available.

Surely it's better to secure the sale now?

Your thoughts?

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cant blame the devs. There is no way to do something like this in Appstore.

3. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't believe they are really losing out on a lot of sales because of the wait. If someone doesn't want to double-dip, they bought one copy at least. If they want the HD version and wait, it is less likely they will change their mind the following week or whenever. Just take a look here at TA. A lot of this is just complaining impatient customers that disillusioned themselves into thinking a developer should be threatened by said customers and a loss of sales. Then, you find within the context of their posts later that they did buy the iPad version afterall.

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    There is a way... They simply release two apps for the iphone version, one for the iPhone users and one for iPad users. When the iPad release is ready they upgrade the initial iPad release only, possibly as an in-app purchase.

I don't really think they will start doing this.... But they could.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I agree... I guess that I'm talking about the situation where the delay between iPhone and iPad releases is longer than a week.

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    There is no way to lock the ipad version with IAP. And using 2 separate apps for iPhone will only end up creating confusion. Unless and until apple allows devs to add the option to download/enable the ipad version via IAP, there is absolutely nothing devs can do.

In the end, its just a few weeks wait at best. Just stop buying apps simply coz there is a buzz and only get the games which you find interesting and your problem will be resolved much more easily IMO.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Yeah, waiting is probably the easiest option. I'm just not a patient man and like to ride that buzz.

Out of curiosity, why cant an application be upgraded via IAP. Isnt that what gameloft did recently with their Zelda game? I thought the whole purpose of IAP is to buy an upgrade?

8. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Simple: In order for an app to be universal, changes must be made to the binary (code) of the app. IAP is only allowed to add content, not modify existing code. Therefore, you can't change an existing app to universal without violating Apple's restrictions.

9. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I wasn't aware of that policy constraint. Thanks for explaining.

10. markie4eyez

markie4eyez Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I would at least like more info on the games that will have a hd version
    I find it hard to find information on the hd versions and it's release date
    At least then you would know
    If it is coming and when
    I've had this problem with need for speed hot pursuit
    And sacred odyssey as examples
    I just checked app store and saw there is a hd version of sacred od