Any Hidden Emulators In Appstore Currently?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by IdreesInc, Apr 14, 2013.

1. IdreesInc

IdreesInc Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Hey mates! I wanted to make this thread so people would know when any new emulators have gotten past the gates and into the store. Games like Gridlee, Awesome Baby Names, and *Slider Puzzle*. Please help me find out all the emulators that currently reside in the store!

Currently Exist In Appstore: :)
    -*Slider Puzzle*
    (Note: *Slider Puzzle* has many bugs including no GBA roms and the inability to use the start button. This is due to BIOS not working. If anyone can fix please help.)

Removed From Appstore: :(
    -Gridlee
    -Awesome Baby Names

Please say of any others that reside in the appstore. I have heard of some using HP Calculators and Etc. Anyone know of any? Thanks!

Hope I helped!

(P.S. This is my first post so sorry if I messed up in any way :D )

2. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Where did you hear about the emus hidden in calculators ? I'd like to know too. But as far as I know only slider puzzle is the only hidden emu on the AppStore right now.

3. IdreesInc

IdreesInc Member

Apr 14, 2013
    It was just a rumor I heard but I may have misinterpreted. It was from long ago so even if it existed it is probably gone now. Have you downloaded Slider Puzzle? And if so, was it successful?

4. IdreesInc

IdreesInc Member

Apr 14, 2013
    #4 IdreesInc, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    I have just downloaded *Slider Puzzle* and I am actually enjoying it. I am playing Pokemon Red on it and it is working well. The music is slightly distorted but I think it is just the rom that I downloaded. I will edit later to check the save status.

EDIT: Save seems to not be working. I am dissapointed but will look to see if i can fix this

5. trevytrev

trevytrev Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I downloaded *slider puzzle*. How do I get the emulator, all I see is a slider game

6. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #6 mrbiggles, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Gridlee = MAME emulator (probably the best emulator to have)
    Awesome Baby Names = GBA emulator

prob find more info here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=183269

also you can probably trouble shoot this version by reading up on the older other version as i heard they are similar http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182581

now we need a SNES/Sega Genesis, N64 and C=64 emulator ;)

7. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Fair Warning about Slider: 4A devices (like iPod Touch 4th generation) don't work! The screen only draws one frame at a time.

It does (poorly) play GB and GBC games. The sound is awful, and you can't save. (The start button works just like the original gameboy).

Only download Slider if you're a real GB(C) fan. . . I say that because 90% of people are going to be really disappointed with it. Slider's GBA functionality is hopelessly broken (Apple may of intervened, after seeing baby names in the App).

There's a few legit emulators on the store like Spectrum, C64, Activision Anthology. . .I said this in Slider's thread, but, I'll say it again here: If Ninetendo made a legit Gameboy app where the games cost $1-3 each, I would be happy to invest $15-25 in the app.

8. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    work with bios

dont own this, like you said i read "NO gba play" just a gb + gbc emulator, u need to rename .gbc to .gb to play...and there is NO saving features, plus sound sucks bad!

did you get this working? read some say the bios is in the app so you just add your .gb and run. read other say add the bios or GBA4IOS.

9. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    bios in it or add it?

thanks for the info...

read some say the bios is in the app so you just add your .gb and run. read other say u need to add the bios or GBA4IOS?

10. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #10 m44, Apr 16, 2013
    We all messed around with GBA a good bit, and never got it working. :( (The guy in the App Store review that says "it works great, just make sure to add the bios file". Unfortunately, he's a troll. :( )

Here's a mini rundown of what was tried. (Any one is free to jump in here with ideas ;) )

*Roms that are known to be good.

*Several different bios. With multiple variations to the file's name.

*Emulator files that work as bios, but aren't Nintendo's.

*Ensuring file permission were set to 755.

*Adding files from GBA4iOS in an attempt to patch Slider.

----////----

So far no luck with GBA. I'm not really a "computer guy", but, the computer guys in the main thread are stumped too. :confused:

----/////-----

*Edit* If you were talking about GB or GBC games, no bios is needed. Just transfer whatever.gbc to Slider as whatever.gb and it should work. :)

11. trevytrev

trevytrev Member

Apr 16, 2013
    How do I transfer games from my comp to this app? And what's all this .gba/.gbc/.gb stuff

12. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I have some questions:
    Does your iDevice need to be jail broken for this?
    Can this 'brick' your iDevice?
    If you have an app downloaded and Apple removes it from the store, is it removed from your device too?

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #13 psj3809, Apr 16, 2013
    These emulators are 'hidden' as they try and fool Apple to get them on the appstore. Gridlee was around for a while before getting taken down. You dont have to be jailbroken thats the whole thing.

This wont 'brick' your device, dont worry. (If 'somehow' it did you would simply do a restore from your itunes backup - you do backup dont you !)

Ha ha no if Apple removed an app its still on your device. If Apple could delete all apps they want remotely from iphones/ipads etc there would be uproar !

But simply backup all your apps. Eg i managed to download 'Awesome baby names' (The other app with a hidden emulator), straight away once i downloaded it i backed up my device and checked i had the .ipa file nicely tucked away in the folder i had specified to backup my apps on my PC.

I then get a new ipod and install the latest saved backup and its now on my new ipod as i had backed it up (in case it was taken down from the app store which it was eventually).

So dont worry, dont get too paranoid about things !

14. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    is there anyway to use the .ipa file and download it, i never got awesome baby names when it was available.

15. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #15 m44, Apr 16, 2013
    GB = Gameboy
    GBC = Gameboy Color
    GBA = Gameboy Advance

It's pretty easy to transfer the files. Get everything organized on your PC first. Open iTunes, connect your iDevice, select your device, selects Apps, you should see Slider and be able to transfer your files into the App.

There's a lot of info in the main Slider thread. :)

----////----

You could jail break and get the actual emulator that Slider and Awesome Baby Names tried to hide. It's called GBA4iOS.

I would not recommend doing that however. . . . It would not be very practical (or enjoyable) to play GBA on a touch screen. . . . Those shoulder buttons would be really hard to use, and the D Pad isn't great.

I'm not saying you shouldn't jailbreak, if you want to go for it. :) . . . . But, if you're willing to spend five or ten dollars on a USB controller, you can play whatever on your computer. ;)

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think you can do that. Or people would simply copy .ipa files amongst friends and they would be all over the web for non-jailbroken devices.

Sorry you missed out, missing out on Gridlee would have been even worse ! At some point in the future these apps will hit the app store again i think, i have no news , but i just meant it seems devs like to try and 'beat' Apple and get these apps in there on the app store for a while.

In the past we had MAME appear one Xmas for a week or so, then Gridlee a few months back and of course the Awesome Baby Names app. There will be another time

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Emulators are fun to play with for a few minutes, but then the lack of physical controls kills them. If you jailbreak you can use a Wii Remote, generally, but it's not really that convenient. Who carries a Wii Remote with them everywhere? I suppose some do, but I haven't ever done that. I am jailbroken again, and this time I haven't even bothered to install any emulators anyway.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think Gridlee is superb with the controls, play that regularly. I do admit i dont go chasing for high scores and just like to enter in tons of coins to complete some of these old classics which i couldnt as a kid.

Plus theres the thrill of having these old classics in your pocket, a dream to an 8 year old kid in the 80's !

Awesome Baby Names controls arent the best but again playing Super Mario Land (Gameboy mono) whenever i want and some other old classic GB games to me as a non-jailbreaker is a dream

19. trevytrev

trevytrev Member

Apr 16, 2013
    #19 trevytrev, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    And when you say transfer files, is it just the rom in transferring or what

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Please do not ask for roms. Use Google.

Once you have the rom (in a zip file or say a .gbc format) then copy that over