Battleheart strategy, tips, & tricks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Howlix, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    How do you know base stats are scaling? So that means casting time and criticals are scaling per level? What I mean is, as I level up my base cast time gets shorter? So if I equipped a haste ring, it would be even more so? I understand that +6 spellpower is not the same between level 1 and level 30, or at least I think I do. Hard to comprehend as we have no information showing the value sp has against enemies.

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Excellent thread. Especially helpful to RPG neophytes like myself.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #23 Dazarath, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    That's not what I was referring to.

I'm making the following assumptions because I don't actually know exactly how everything is calculated, but the below is pretty standard for a lot of RPGs:
    - X% haste means you attack X% more per Y time (or CD between attacks is reduced to 100/(100+X)%)
    - X% crit means you have X% chance to deal 2x damage
    - DPS for normal attacks is linearly proportional to attack/magic power

If you equip 2x +10 attack trinkets, the increase in DPS is linear and the %-increase is dependent on your current attack. For example, 100->120 is a larger %-increase than 200->220. But if you equip 2x 15% haste trinkets, your DPS will increase 30% regardless of whether you have 100 or 200 attack. Under the above assumptions, the formula for auto-attack DPS would be (K being a constant): K*attack*(1+haste)*(1+crit). So haste and crit scale with your attack, but attack doesn't scale with itself. Also, if there exists a 15% crit trinket, a haste+crit > 2x haste | 2x crit. Of course, this doesn't take into account CDs or procs, so it's not quite that simple of a calculation.

4. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Haste is applied multiplicatively for each item or skill effecting it. If the default attack speed is every 1.5 seconds, and you have two rings of 15% haste, the calculation looks like this.

1.5 * 0.85 * 0.85 = 1.08 seconds.

(The 0.85 is just 100% minus 15%, a.k.a 85%, expressed as a decimal)

You can definitely argue that at high level, you get more bang for your buck out of haste items than you would a simple +X to your power. That said, haste doesn't really help most of your on-use powers (barbarian enrage and frenzy are exceptions) so if you're trying to maximize how much damage you do with a single powerful strike, getting your base power as high as possible is what its all about.

5. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    That's an interesting way of calculating it. That would mean if a hypothetical 100% haste trinket existed, each attack would be instant and have no CD. I would think 100% haste, which is usually interpreted to mean "twice as fast" would cause your attacks to take half as long. Not that it's a big deal either way. Knowing the formula will definitely help for calculations though, thanks.

6. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    It's not a bug or an exploit; just something that the developer didn't think that someone will use. Of course it is not intended lol.

7. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm curious how you managed this, Epox, care to share? (via PM if you don't want your super secret secret revealed :p )

8. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    pm sent nothing special though lol

9. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    *SPOILERS BELOW, DON'T READ IF YOU ENJOY DISCOVERING RARE ITEMS ON YOUR OWN*

Here are some of the "rare" items I've got from farming the last boss, usually get a rare once in every four or five battles;

Pillar of the Venom Lord - For the Wizard, AT 57
    Beacon of the Heavens - Cleric, AT 52
    Holy Blade of M'ir - Knight, AT 40

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I got the 1 and 3. Where did you get 2?

11. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    #31 Andylasian, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Any advice for the Slime boss? It keeps splitting into 4 (that I can't finish off) after I kill it over and over until my healer dies.

Never mind, searched through the main thread and got the strategy for it.

12. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I've gotten the Holy Blade of M'ir, but I've also gotten:

Obsidian Soulcrusher - Knight, AT 45
    The Spirit of Battle - Bard, AT 39

13. Dann

Dann Active Member

Jan 11, 2011
    @Seishu: Thank you for the information you posted on the rare weapons! Now I know what to look for when farming that boss. :)

14. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    No problem. It's great that there's a bunch of rare weapons out there, but they're hard to get. According to my save file I've clocked in a good 15 hours into playing the game.

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    It doesnt prove anything, statistics can be wonky...but I have farmed the last boss over 10 times with 0 rare drops.

16. BootyJuggs

BootyJuggs Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Love this game.

Party:

Monk (hybrid spec with attack all to round up as well as speed boost/regen skill to quick pick-up stray mobs when attack all is on cooldown, and evasion to mitigate)
    Wizard (dps and some cc with snow storm and lightning storm to clear mobs)
    Bard (turn monk into mini-god)
    Cleric (bomb spell with iinvulnerability to clear mobs like wizard lightning storm)

Team has decent dps with Monk and Wizard and amazing staying power as long as Monk isn't crit consecutively and evasion or priest shield is on cooldown. Slimes and red bats are tough because they ignore attacks for whichever character they have targeted meaning I have to burn them down quick with wizard/monk, but chase strategy works well as long as they aren't locked on the priest that would cause cancel of most healing besides bards DoT.

This game is soo much fun.

17. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    Let me take this opportunity to expose how our random loot works a bit. If you're really into game mechanics and want to know some of the inner workings, read on. If you'd rather preserve some of the mystery of how item drops are calculated, then ignore this post. :)

There are 9 loot tables - these are collections of items, grouped by relative power. Generally each level will draw from a specific list, with a small chance of drawing something random from the next list higher. There is a little bit of overlap between them when it comes to trinkets and armor, but each table has its own tier of weapon (so there are 9 weapons per class).

The final boss has an equal chance to drop something at random between the tier 7 and 8 tables. Most (but not all) of the tier 8 table can't be purchased or upgraded to. By doing very well in the 2nd and 3rd arenas, you also get a random selection from the tier 8 table - the cutoff is 115 kills in Brightstone and 50 in Doomvale.

The 9th and final loot table is only accessible by doing crazy well in the arena, even the final boss doesn't drop stuff from this list and its entirely unique (i.e. no overlap with table 8). There are no trinkets in the 9th tier table, its all ultimate weapons and armor.

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The final boss is not worth farming for tier 8 loot...lots easier to get tier 8 by getting more than 115 kills in arena 2. Arena 2 doesnt even get challenging for lvl 30 party till 80 or 90 kills, and doesnt get really hard until around 120.

Of course the final boss can be farmed for XP. As good XP per minute as anything I'm aware of, particularly if you have a high dps party. Farming the first level in the third set of worlds is around 80% of the XP and much easier, but takes about the same time, or even longer if you have a very high dps party.

19. ConorJBoughey

ConorJBoughey Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Loved this game so far, absouloutely amazing, a game made for the iOS purely and works great.

My current team is
    Monk
    Rogue
    Cleric
    Wizard (Under leveled as i started late with him)

what do you recommend, to go through the campaign with?

20. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Could anyone that has a level 30+ cleric, 30+ bard, and 30+ both wizards try out having those four characters go through the harder levels? One of my wizards just got the teleport ability, and I'm thinking of new strategies to try out. You could have both wizards, each supported by a bard or cleric. This probably won't work as well as other builds, but if anyone would try it and find out otherwise, it'd be nice to know. Thanks.