Games with depth that keep you hooked

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pannthamann, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Pannthamann

Pannthamann Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Would anyone recommend warhammer quest? I wanna bite but I'm not convinced

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    First game that comes to mind when I looked at the thread title was Dues Ex: The fall. Xcom is a VERY close second, but since I beat Deus Ex the fall two full and am already more than halfway through it a thrid, I have to stick with it.

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh man, yes. I put quite a few hours into that. I only stopped because in the first version, iCloud dint work. Very simple, but in my top five fav TBS games on iOS.

4. Stika

Stika Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Portugal
    While I think Organ/Oregon trail are great games, I do think they get a bit repetitive after a few hours of gameplay.

They're usually best in short bursts imo

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #25 undeadcow, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    I would discourage Warhammer Quest. The difficulty is imbalanced and too easy even on hard. Also, side quests tend to be repeated. Regardless of level, it's the same 4-5 enemies "randomized" into a basically the same level set-up (corridors and simple rooms)... dungeon/enemy variety is fataly limited (only real change is in plot, but plot is shallow). There are 7 towns, each with 1-2 main quests, so fairly limited content, such as it is. It's more of a lazy cash-in than an actual game that I found insulting.

It's admirable that WHQ uses the pen & paper mechanics with obvious dice results impacting magic use and some of the simplified levels might be a nod to the board game. It's an ok casual time killer, I enjoyed it for a while, but it's not worth $4.99 or the 700mb+ file size and ultimately disappointing because there was so much more potential with the license missed. There are better iOS turn based strategy games (like the Kingturn Series, Final Fantasy Tactics, Spectral Souls, World to Conquer, Aliens Vs Humans, etc).

6. Pannthamann

Pannthamann Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Bummer guess ill just put it in appshopper and pick it up when it goes on sale.

7. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Swordigo, oh man. That game had me hooked from the start and I'm sure plenty of people would agree that its a great game. Its pretty challenging at points, but its an all around awesome game.

8. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ascension...

No other game has lived longer on my iPad Mini :p

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's great, but it is a board game so expect those types of mechanics (if you've played any of the old GW boardless games like Space Hulk you'll understand). It has an expansion coming shortly so it could potentially go on sale, it is worth full price though.

My main gripe would be repetition and IAP characters that are overpriced and built into the menu, other than that I had a lot of fun.

10. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Warhammer Quest bored the hell out of me, I bought it on launch day but its a huge disappointment.

if you want games that keep you hooked, try Baldurs Gate.

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    ...oops

12. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    If you like a grind than Mission Europa offers a lot of play time

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Has anyone who has suggested Baldurs Gate looked on the App Store for it recently? It doesn't exist. I think I remember hearing something about them yanking it? I don't know but I wish it was up. I think it's iPad only though anyway. :-(

14. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
  15. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    About how depth game gave me, i pick all game from Kairosoft, depth gameplay through lot of items unlock at very late game.

16. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    These. You need these. Everyone that I have recommended Swordigo to has gotten hooked. And Space Miner is just amazing.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    9th Dawn is amazing. Its like an early Ultima game, tons of missions, large world to explore, very very addictive

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Bastion
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Xcom

Pretty much my top 3 iOS titles as far as deep gameplay goes, Bastion is lighter than the other three as the story is shorter but it's an awesome adventure.

Like someone had mentioned the Kairosoft titles are addicting and surprisingly complex, don't let the screenshots fool you. My favs are Game Dev Story, Epic Astro Story, and Grand Prix Story. I wasn't really fond of the town building Kairo games, but these three I could not stop playing.

19. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    With me, adding Dungeon Village, Pocket League Story, Beastie Bay, Hot Spring Story to the list :).

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This is a terrific thread. Ive learned about a lot of really awesome games! Thanks everyone! :D

I would definitely say Kairosoft games are solid and offer plenty to sink your teeth into.

I would also recommend The World Ends With You: Solo Remix. The only downside to that game is the amount of space it takes, but it's a triple A full fledged game with some of the best and unique game play mechanics I've ever experienced.

Also I highly recommend Might and Magic; Clash of Heroes. I was straight up addicted to that game for quite some time. Super fun battle system!

I havent played it yet but I have my eye on Spellsword which looks to be a fun RPG/Platform type game. Another game I have my eye on is Palm Kingdoms 2 deluxe. It looks freakin awesome if your into Heroes of Might and Magic type games.