Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quick impression of the game.

After buying the game on a whim, I haven't stopped playing this game. I have taken my phone from 100% charge to 0% 3 times playing this game.

The fun is in the challenge. Yes, I find the game pleasantly difficult enough so that decisions actually matter. I really don't like out leveling and out grinding the AI in RPG's and grind for loot that I don't care about.

This game really shines compared to games that I've played like Chaos Rings or Baldur's Gate in that:

- Each character having a unique flavor to them. Luck being a big factor in combat, blessings, long corridors hiding an army of vampires etc.

- Money is not easy to come by but every time I feel short, I usually manage to score some in the next dungeon.

- The quest is meaty and you can farm some gear to extend the playthrough. Trying out different characters is fun. Finding the right combo of characters to work as a unit is a nice meta-game in itself.

- Very simple combat system but there is depth there because planning out each turn is important if you want to survive attack of the CC'ing Spiders.

- I love the blood spatter, the Game of Thrones-esque intro animation to the towns and the spell effects are pleasant to look at.

- Nice graphics, great music, interface is fairly well made even on a iPhone screen.

Some quick issues I take with the game:

- Luck counts for a way too much in every aspect of the game. Those endless waves of mobs that just pile on really is tough to prepare for even for RPG veterans. Plus, I only know now that skills are randomly doled out to leveling characters at set intervals. I'm at level 5 with certain characters and probably should've hard reset for better skills. This was not explained well in tutorial.

- Certain spells are hard to select on the iphone screen. Picking out Shadow Bolt instead of Healing Mist is not easy for my regular sized fingers. Sometimes you deselect the character completely and have to find him, and find the spell again. This adds some frustration to the experience. Although not a deal-breaker, it certainly should be addressed.

- Leveling characters can be frustrating. Low level characters have trouble hitting high level enemies. What I end up doing is just Cyclone of Silencing the last enemy every turn hoping my Level 1 Shadow Warrior can hit it to level up. Again, not a deal breaker. However, if I'm spending good money on IAP characters, I want to be able to use it fairly quickly without having to slog through multiple dungeons dragging him along. Perhaps another IAP potion can be made to give 1 level to your newly minted Bright Wizard for 99 cents?

- IAP is pricey. If I were to purchase everything it'll be well on its way to be a full priced game in line with PSP/DS prices. I don't know if the production values and gameplay is quite up to that standard. I have no complaints otherwise since IAP is balanced as can be. I never found myself unable to heal or run a dungeon without forking over a dollar.

This game tickles my dungeon crawling, loot-mongering itch incredibly well. Without any dealbreakers and only minor annoyances, this is actually the perfect mobile RPG - easy enough to play on the go but deep enough to satisfy some hardcore fans of the genre.

I give it a 5/5 for RPG fans and 3/5 for casual gamers. Definitely would tell people to buy it and spend at least 10 bucks on IAP to get the most out of it.

Thanks for reading!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 PM

I have four level 6 guys, and I am constantly being barraged by Orc Big Boss ambushes. Four or six of them kind of just appear every two turns, and it is starting to piss me off.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
I have four level 6 guys, and I am constantly being barraged by Orc Big Boss ambushes. Four or six of them kind of just appear every two turns, and it is starting to piss me off.
Yep I hate it when I finish killing them then another ambush appears
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
Some dungeons are just like that. I found that if your first encounter in a dungeon throws 4 big bosses at you, then just leave and come back. Sometimes you'll get easier spawns. I may be wrong but that's the impression that I get.

Also, those annoying little "lasts 1 dungeon" debuffs will fall off if you just go into a dungeon and pop back out. So will all your blessings but at least you fixed your warrior's cracked skull.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Quick video of gameplay with my favorite heroes.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by thecmancan; 09-01-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

has anyone got an idea what developers are doing now? i heard that it's gonna be another warhammer title.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth1118 View Post
has anyone got an idea what developers are doing now? i heard that it's gonna be another warhammer title.
The only announcement that has been made has been the news that the next title will use UE4.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth1118 View Post
It's an existing GW title apparently, and considering Rodeo's Hunters and WQ game engines, likely it will be Space Crusade.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Is it just me or does the IAP bow miss a lot? I use normal bows with my waywatcher and his hit rate is a lot higher.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
iPhone 5

Anybody try this out on a 6plus? How is the text size compared to it on a 5?