Untitled Retro Platformer - Scylla Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Charybdis, May 21, 2012.

1. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi there
    Here is my new game under development. I have very fond memories of my childhood days playing gameboy, so this game has been a lot of fun to work on.
    Blocky, lowres, monochrome, retro graphics. Yeah baby!
    Anyway, here are a few screenshots and a video showing the first level.
    Let me know what you think :)
    Cheers guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love it ! Love the old skool Gameboy look, from the video it seems to play very well. Please add a fair few resume spots though, that other game which was a gameboy platformer was great apart from (in my view) it was too tricky and you had to start from the beginning everytime.

I'll be getting this game for sure, looks great

3. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Looks very good. Do you have a set release date or price yet?

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Looks good, but tbh, for me the time of retro platformers has gone now. There are far too many. Hope this has something to make it stand out.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think you can have too many platformers, its like some people like constant running games when they seem roughly all the same to me.

If this has well designed levels then it should be a great little game. Theres many people out there who seem to love retro platformers, always seem popular

6. CamZer0

CamZer0 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Looks great, will check it out upon release for sure. Please say it will have GameCenter integration inc. achievements... Sigh I long for a day where I don't have to worry about that.

7. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Looks intriguing! When the game is released it will probably be on my list of games to try!

Have you got a release date in mind? Will it be this year?

8. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Absolutely love the look of it! Keep up the good work!

9. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I havent decided on release date or price yet. Most of the graphics and game code are done, but now I'm working on designing levels at the moment, and that takes a lot of time! *phew*. I hope to release it sometime next month. Fingers crossed.

Also, I dont have music or sfx yet. Any idea where I can get free/cheap retro tunes? I love chiptunes, and I need spooky-cute ones.

There will be 25 levels in all, getting larger and larger, with a boss fight every 5th one. After killing a boss a new power is obtained, such as shooting, hovering and sticking to walls (nod nod wink wink to gargoyle's quest ;-D )

Yes there will be gamecenter integration for achievements. Any suggestions for interesting ones?

I don't really want to give too much away at the moment, but here are some tentative boss fight screens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Wow dude! This looks awesome :)

11. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Thanks mate. You're my #1 tester by the way :D

12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Well, this looks fantastic and I can't wait try it :)

Looks like many people will be watching closely at this thread.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yes of course, I love platformers and can't get enough of them, but the constant spam(well not really) of new retro platformers start to bore me. Not the game itself, but the graphics. At first I just loved them, but now they're all starting to look the same even though they're not. Will probably end up getting this, because graphics aside this looks great!

14. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Hey man, I've PMed you with some tips and tricks which I have used for MANOS: The Hands of Fate. Hopefully should help with your development!

15. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks awesome.

16. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Whoa. I need this. xD
    This looks really, really good. Can't wait for release!

17. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    So you haven't thought up a title yet?

Untitled meaning there is no title, or it's in progress?

The title needs to suit the theme of the game.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Each to their own but i'm loving the retro platformers. Kale in Dinoland did a great job of mimicking a Gameboy game (Really does need resumes in it though), i cant think of any other games with 'Gameboy' style graphics. The gameboy for many of us old timers was a brilliant device so i think its only natural we'll get one or two Gameboy style games.

I mean theres 99999 versions of Angry Birds in the app store, please let us oldies have a couple of Gameboy-esque type games !

19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    #19 PointOfLight, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    Love platform games, love retro style graphics, lovin' this. If you need any help testing before release please look me up. I'd be happy to lend a hand. I actually helped test Kale in Dinoland.

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Sure you can have your gameboy-esque games, I never had one even though my friends did so I guess they didn't appeal to me that much. Started to appeal me when I got my iPod, but Gameboy types were always less appealing to me than 8-bit or some sort. My complaints of the graphics were mainly to give feedback to the developer so he could have a larger feedback base other than the regular 'Love it!' 'oh gosh darn it I have a retro soul' or something. The game does look good, but I'm just hoping we'll see more platformers with unique style, because to be honest, seeing another and another retro platformer makes even CreaVures seem fun.

Regarding the Angry Birds copies, We have 99 thousand but not a single is fun. :p I hate AB besides Angry Birds Space.