Toucharcade Users Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by upsidedown, Sep 15, 2009.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 upsidedown, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Hey guys, we had previously come up with the idea to make a game for the iDevice. Right now, we need some people to step in and help. All users who have any skill in a particular field are welcome to give it a shot.
    We need:
    Programmer: We need this most!(someone who would be able to code the game who knows how to program)
    Artwork(someone to provide the artwork for the game, someone fairly good)
    We have:
    public realtions/creative manager:٩๏̯͡๏)۶
    website designer:yourofl
    promotion/advertisement:upsidedown
    Sound:robertf224
    Game mechanics:Comassion

So anyone who wants to help, post your area of particular skill, and we will let you know if you have been accepted.
    Also: Ideas for a game would be greatly appreciated!!Post them in the thread!
    Ideas:
    Name: Touch Gladiators

Concept: player controls a small group (up to 6) of fighters/monsters in real time, to try and win a gang battle against a group of determined enemies.

Theme: could vary widely and be upgraded with updates. Could start with basic gladiator theme, with potential to expand with challenges from robots, undead, wizards, etc.

Game Mechanics:
    - Player's units, if untouched, would stand and turn to face the closest enemy, and only attack if any enemy came into range.
    - Drag line from a player unit to move it.
    - Drag unit to an enemy to engage combat via hand-to-hand attacks.
    - A unit's attack can vary depending on how you approach the enemy. Dash at enemy (fast drag) for a charging attack. Approach enemy from behind to grab them and hold them still. Drag to a prone enemy to attack them while they are down. Attack with multiple units simultaneously to pile on.
    - If one of your units is grabbed, tap on the enemy unit grabbing it to try and fight free.
    - Tap unit, then tap an enemy to execute a long distance attack (i.e. shoot with bow or spit venom).

Basic attacks:
    - melee (approach and smash/bash)
    - grab (render an enemy unit defenseless - useful while ganging up)
    - missle (shoot - straight line attack)
    - lob (throw over other units)

Unit types and stats could vary widely. Some units would be expert grapplers. Others could have long range (attack with spears) but be vulnerable if flanked or grabbed. Others would be super-skilled in one-on-one combat, able to block/dodge/counter, but have problems if ganged up on.

At the end of each round, winnings could be used to gain new recruits, or buy upgrades (armor, weapons).

Would be a natural for bluetooth head-to-head battles.

Another idea:
    It is a line drawing castle defense game, with two possibly three different defenders. One has normal speed and would take him about 3-5 seconds to defeat an average enemy(depending on what type. Another is slow but defeats enemies very fast. The other is fast but takes 7-10 seconds to defeat an enemy. Your defenders can not die, you lose if your castle get invaded. Also, It has powerups such as a shockwave, which sends enemies flying off the screen in a limited area. Also, one other thing which I think would be very cool would be traps. Before the level, you can lay traps, such as pitfalls, and nooses which pull up enemies. The game would have levels and also survival mode. I think this would be an awesome game to play.
    More ideas:
    1. Boarding party: A turn-based tactical game where you command a group of marines in engagements where you board hostile vessels and attempt to seize control of the ship.

2. A naval game in which you control a medium-sized capital ship and participate in engagements either alone or as part of a fleet. One can go many directions in terms of theme - you can have a fantasy setting and incorporate magic and creatures into naval battles, a futuristic (or even space) setting with advanced and unusual weapons, or a historical setting and attempt to recreate naval conflicts of any given era.

3. A mech fighting game a-la classic Battletech, with more detailed damage models (to take advantage of the calculating power of a computer) and less copyright infringement.

I do personally refuse to be involved in the creation of yet another match-3. I don't think anyone here particularly wants one, but just sayin'. I'm not married to any of the above ideas, and recognize that from a feasibility standpoint we might be better suited to making a simpler game like Doodle Jump since we'll likely have just one developer.

2. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    #2 Kris Jones, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    What kind of game is it?

The title shows TouchArcade Users Game... does that mean its a collaboration of many ideas from users or designed specifically for TouchArcade users?

3. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I can do sound

4. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    #4 upsidedown, Sep 15, 2009
    Well, Basically it is an app involving any users who want to help's skill.
    Any dev at all who knows how to code is welcome to code for us.

5. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Ok, we need sound to, I forgot about that.

6. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    C'mon! Dev out there, sitting on the couch, we need you!
    Do it for the faithful users of TA!

7. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Do you have an actual game designer? That is, someone who works out the details of what the game is (with input in this case from TA users) and the mechanics of how things interact. I can provide my talents in that area if you like.

8. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Cool, we would love that! Thanks!

9. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    So the question becomes - what do TA users want in a game? I have ideas, but they tend toward the turn-based, in-depth crowd, which may not be what people want to play (or what our dev, should we find one, is interested in programming - one wants the project to be something that the team is enthusiastic about doing).

10. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    I have what I think is a really cool idea with a simpler gameplay. If you want, I'll PM it to you.

11. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Why not put up a few ideas here first and then let the forum members decide with a poll.

12. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    What do you mean, ideas for games?

13. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    I was replying to comassion. I meant ideas for what kind of game genre will ta users want you guys to develop.

14. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Ok, you know what, I'll just post my idea.
    It is sort of like this guys idea, basically:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=25443
    But a bit different.
    It is a line drawing castle defense game, with two possibly three different defenders. One has normal speed and would take him about 3-5 seconds to defeat an average enemy(depending on what type. Another is slow but defeats enemies very fast. The other is fast but takes 7-10 seconds to defeat an enemy. Your defenders can not die, you lose if your castle get invaded. Also, It has powerups such as a shockwave, which sends enemies flying off the screen in a limited area. Also, one other thing which I think would be very cool would be traps. Before the level, you can lay traps, such as pitfalls, and nooses which pull up enemies. The game would have levels and also survival mode. I think this would be an awesome game to play.

15. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    I would have to create a new thread to make a poll.

16. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    #16 Comassion, Sep 15, 2009
    I'll lead-in with a couple. People are more than welcome to submit more.

1. Boarding party: A turn-based tactical game where you command a group of marines in engagements where you board hostile vessels and attempt to seize control of the ship.

2. A naval game in which you control a medium-sized capital ship and participate in engagements either alone or as part of a fleet. One can go many directions in terms of theme - you can have a fantasy setting and incorporate magic and creatures into naval battles, a futuristic (or even space) setting with advanced and unusual weapons, or a historical setting and attempt to recreate naval conflicts of any given era.

3. A mech fighting game a-la classic Battletech, with more detailed damage models (to take advantage of the calculating power of a computer) and less copyright infringement.

I do personally refuse to be involved in the creation of yet another match-3. I don't think anyone here particularly wants one, but just sayin'. I'm not married to any of the above ideas, and recognize that from a feasibility standpoint we might be better suited to making a simpler game like Doodle Jump since we'll likely have just one developer.

17. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Yes, no match 3 games, but It appears to me those games would take a lot of work and some very good graphics.

18. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    You can add a poll in this thread only. But you'll need to ask a mod for that.

19. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    It depends - such games do get better with better graphics, but then you have a game like Slay where the graphics aren't so good, but the gameplay is a lot of fun.

20. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    can i help with advertisement also, the more advertising the more sales?

also maybe a soldier ants type game, or a first person shooter?