Netflix Dragon Up (by East Side Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jimwagner, Dec 9, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    When does this go live in the US?

2. jimwagner

jimwagner Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I would say late January? Lot's of stuff still to go in and a small team to do it with!

3. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    The video is great though! I used to work as a trailer editor and it is such a pain getting good footage off iOS devices. I eventually found a really hacky workaround, but you saved me the trouble! It's nice to have a link of the game in action.

4. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    #24 xbtran, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    I'm on an iPhone 5, so maybe that's why it seemed faster for me before. Doesn't bother me all too much! And I did notice the sorting by hoard. It's pretty useful. I did run into a weird bug where when I got a new equipment, it prompted up the menu when you have hoard space so I went to equip it to one of my dragons, but then it kept prompting me to upgrade my hoard when I clearly had an extra space.

On an idea note, I would love to see possibly a collection database (equipment "pokedex", if you will). It might encourage more users to fuse items in order to "catch 'em all". And with that, it'd be nice to upgrade the amount of fusions we could have queued up, of course for the cost of gems.

Edit: I just noticed that my last two hatched dragons have a different job scheme. When they're hatched they have a 5 min (or 1 min) for 1 heart and a half hour for 3 hearts. Is this part of the new balance? And will my old dragons ever be switched to match them?

5. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Oh man, have you been sitting in on our design meetings? Totally have got plans for a pokedex and multiple fusions. Glad to hear there's a want for them too!

There are 4 trip balances in the game right now: Common Dragons, Uncommon Dragons, Rare Dragons, and Epic Dragons (Ultra Rare!!) Trips tend to get longer and have better payouts as the rarity of the dragon increases.

But I'm actually working on some balance stuff now that will add more variety to the trips, stay tuned!

6. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Haha awesome that we're on the same page!

Oh ok that explains it! I got three (of what im assuming is) uncommons in a row. Is this just due to the fact that I probably got the commons already, so now theres a bigger chance of getting the more rarer dragons?

I gotta say this game has been so addicting when I just sit here and do minute quest. I racked up about 50-60 gems just from a little over an hour session of doing so. Just wanted to let you know that, because that does seem like a lot. But for all I know you guys intended it to be that way.

Another note, the notifications are done really bad. They woke me up last night! Maybe only one notification for the first dragon? And also, it'd be nice if the little notification on the menu showed when a fusion is completed and not just when theyre available.

7. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah we're looking at the gem economy now, might tune some stuff down, but we're also going to be adding gifting from friends and guilds so that should open up more ways to get gems.

Also I forgot to mention we went live in some more countries! We are now live in Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Ireland, Finland, and Denmark! Tell your friends (hopefully some of them live in those countries...)

8. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Yea just to give you a perspective, in about a week I maxed out the hoard and ship, and accumulated 300 gems give or take. And this is probably playing actively for an hour or two each day on average. Definitely think giving dragons their dream item should only award one gem.

9. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks for the data! I'm working on the balance now, we may leave the bonus at 2 gems, but then raise gem prices across the board. I like the 2 gems as a reward cause sometimes you can spend a gem to speed up fusion, but get back 2 gems which can feel good to some players.

Also as we add in more treasures it will dilute the pool of dream treasures for the dragons you have which should help with the gem economy too. We already did that a bit by adding in shields.

More Hoard slots coming! How many dragons are you at now?

10. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    That's very true! I never thought of doing a fusion that way. And your solution for gem balance sounds great.

I'm at 21 dragons. :) Really want that door to open! Haha.

11. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm gonna go ahead and tell you now so you're not too disappointed... The door doesn't quite open in the current build... We're furiously building out the presentation and mechanics that unlock with the door opening, but I think you're gonna beat us there! Didn't expect such dedicated players like you!

Do you have any favorite of the dragon designs?

12. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Oh really? Well, I have been slowing down play for awhile so maybe I won't unlock all the dragons unless I'm really close already. That and increased cost, I probably hatch a dragon every one and a half to two days compared to one or two a day before. Oddly enough, I was a lot more addicted when I was supposed to be studying for exams. Maybe that's just the procrastinator in me. Haha. Regardless, I'm sure whatever you guys come up with will be worth the wait.

As for favourite designs, I like Hairy Fangscreech and Dragon the Fool because they look like more of the traditional evil dragons. But I also really love Thorfinn the Silly and Murk the Jenky because they're so quirky and weird, which is wonderful.

13. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    It definitely gets expensive up in the 20's. We're working on adding some kind of coin multiplier for having same color treasures and dream treasures on a dragon to help with that!

The names in the game are actually randomly generated and I forgot we don't have dragon "type" or "species" visible to the player (Working on that too!). What do they look like?

14. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    A coin multiplier for dream treasures is a fantastic idea. I think it'll give players more reason to grind up a dream item through fusions. Any eta on the next update?

Oh really? I would have never known. Some of the names made sense, but a few others made me wonder why they were named that. Haha. I like the red firey dragon, purple dragon with bat wings, the yellow dog dragon, and my personal favourite has to be the purple dragon with a moustache and monocle.

I have two bugs to report. During fusions, I was able to fuse a lvl 5 item with a lvl 6 item, but it resulted in a lvl 6 item. And I'm also able to equip two of the same items by clicking an item and swapping it with an item in the hoard.

15. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah the monocle guy (Distinguished Dragon) is one of my favorite too. We also want to let players rename their dragons or re-roll a random name til they get one they like.

We'll probably submit the next build the first week of Jan. Might be a bit of a wait in submission as there could be a backlog from the Apple holiday shut down... But the big changes there will be a new Quest system where you can have more than one quest at the same time and Guilds! For starters Guilds will be just for gifting, but we hope to add in more functionality if players like and use them.

16. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    #36 xbtran, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    Oh wow. I wasn't expecting to be at the limit of dragons so soon! My last two dragons were the green fruit dragon and the purple gargoyle dragon which I really enjoy both designs.

I was just wondering, do items max out at lvl 10? I'm planning to fuse dream items for dragons as I figure a maxed out dream item would net more than a rare item like "The Precious" (love that reference by the way). I'd also like to be able to sort items in the fusion menu much like everywhere else in the game.

Can't wait for that update early next year. Hopefully it'll bring a lot more users once you guys go live in the U.S., especially on this forum. It's funny that it's basically only me and you talking back and forth for 4 pages! I feel that if you had a few screenshots on the first post it will garner some more interest in this game. The art itself is worth playing the game.

P.S. Merry Christmas to you and the guys at Eastside Games!

17. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Merry Christmas!

Our artist is busy today working on Dragon designs, but there's also gonna be a new feature when we put in more dragons! The idea being that once you get to 24 dragons to make room for a new dragon you have to level up one of your dragons to level ten, and have a certain number of hearts (ie: needs good treasure) then you can send him to "Valhalla" or "Dragon Paradise" still working on the phrasing, where your dragons are super happy and start producing coins without having to manage them. Then you can buy a new dragon in its spot!

We're trying to avoid the bloat and workload that I personally led me to stop playing Tiny Tower... I got to 100 floors and it was starting to feel like work...

But it's a lot of work to get it in there, so bear with us! Hoping to have new dragons and "Valhalla" in for late January.

18. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Any word on US release?

19. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I don't understand this game at all

20. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Going for end of January! Feverishly working away!