Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 05-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockEB View Post
I dont understand this at all. They lose customers. And no pirate is gonna buy the game if it's online only. They will just skip to another game.
Yes, it is ironic, but many times it is the pirates that gain from always online.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I refuse to buy IOS titles that require an internet connection. Obviously, I don't play multiplayer or social-based games either, and I usually do a bit of research if I suspect a game on IOS that requires a connection yet touts itself as single player. There are not many, at least not in my experience, so it's not a huge deal.

It's bad enough that IOS upgrades often break games because devs sometimes no longer update them (for whatever reason, some are legit) so I don't want to worry about the dev/publisher having to have their server up and running too.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

I actively turn off internet access for apps in order to improve battery life and to reduce data usage in my limited data plan.

iPadwantsa5.5"iPhoneWithDoubleTheOperatingTimeOfiP hone5C...
Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I think the always online requirement doesn't take into account problems the buyers may face in example a few weeks ago lightning struck my power line and in a blaze of glory my router exploded. At that time any game with Internet requirements would have been useless to me. So there is really no way to ensure this always online deal will be a benefit even if it works well.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:51 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Yeah - it's crazy.

I'm not sure what percentage of iPhones are even jailbroken, but I'm sure it's quite low - and I'm sure that the people who jailbreak to pirate games are not going to buy a game just because they can't pirate it.

The only thing I can see happening from the always on requirement is lost sales - and an extra overhead for the developers having to provide servers for the game to connect to.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteye5 View Post
I think the always online requirement doesn't take into account problems the buyers may face in example a few weeks ago lightning struck my power line and in a blaze of glory my router exploded. At that time any game with Internet requirements would have been useless to me. So there is really no way to ensure this always online deal will be a benefit even if it works well.
Well, if all games are always online, you won't be able to play jack.

And people's cell phone bills will be in the thousands from overage fees cause devs will abuse it and download video ads and also track where you shop and who your contacts are.