Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    That's not the PS1 version, PS1 version didn't have a new translation. Or new content. Basically if you take the PS1 version...remove the cutscenes and ending viewer...you have...THE SNES VERSION lol

The translatation and bonus areas are from the DS version.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You are right. And yes, this version matches the DS version in that regard.

3. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Hope I didn't come off as stand off-ish. Re-reading it kinda looks that way. I meant my tone to be teasing.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No worries :).

5. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Just finished this game. Was lotsa fun definitely worth the price.

6. I love this game. Reminds me of my early times, haha.

But the price is $9.99, is it too expensive? After all, it's twenty years!

7. shinrukuszero

shinrukuszero Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    NY
    Tell that to the guy who just spent $150 on my SNES one... thank you ebay!

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im still not so hot with the game's controls. Using a free analog on an 8-direction movement doesnt really come as spectacular to me.

The game is fantastic on most of the platforms it came out from, but not so much on the iOS.

9. Dubstep

Jun 8, 2011
    I agree, the movement stick bothered me sometimes but I was still able to finish the game with it. Debating whether to do a new game + play through...

10. Dubstep

Jun 8, 2011
    Chrono trigger got an update. Just bug fixes although I wasnt aware it had any...

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    When i saw the update i thought it had to do something with the controls. I havent downloaded the update yet though, but i dont expect them to fix the controls... The controls arent buggy, they just wont be as responsive as an 8 direction fixed pad would be.

12. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Probably just iOS specific coding.

13. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    how does this look on ipad? ._.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    A little blurry... But still decent looking since it isnt a blurred HD attempt but more of an anti-aliased retro look.

15. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    If this is the DS version, where is the Arena of Ages?

16. Odank

Odank New Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Could have used a different form of upscaling/interpolation

Just picked this port up recently - it does remind me of the original SNES version I still have albeit a bit "soft." I have played all the versions (except for the virtual console port) of this masterpiece and I enjoyed the DS version but found that graphically, the IOS version is trying to go in a good direction actually. The DS version was very pixelated and blocky - and if one looks for example at the trees in Guardia forest, they are not pretty per se... Certain elements like this actually look more painterly and appealing in this version. I think that an update to the interpolation method and edge softening (as opposed to global softening) would go a long way to achieve a balanced look that would appeal to most players. Also, getting the virtual stick to give more leeway when one is using the "both" mode for walking and running (too sensitive at this point). Did anyone notice that the world map sprite for Crono was redone here - he seems to have more of his signature spiky hair this time. I would love to have an official retina display update tackling these improvements. Maybe someone will listen.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    What made the iOS version weak for me is the controls. VStick doesnt work well with 8 direction movement. Also, the targetting seems a bit confusing at first too.

18. Haoulelouch

Haoulelouch Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    how does this game compare to FF3?

I'm not one of those hardcore classic fans so the lackluster storyline in FF3 and the reworked mediocre graphics (in this day and age) didn't impress me. I thought the game overall was alright and it could have been legendary back in the day but it's not a game I can't put down whenever I want, and I haven't played it in a while either due to the loss of interest. so logically I guess FF1 and FF2 are less impressive in comparison.

so how does the fabled Chrono Trigger compare with FF3?

19. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chrono Trigger has a more engrossing story and actual characters. There isn't as much customisation as to what each characters role can be, but they don't exactly all have generic FF 'jobs' ie a Black Mage, a Dragoon etc.

I think CT will engage you more, and make you feel like you want to come back to play it. FF 3 made me feel like, I've paid so much for this I'd better play through it or I'll feel guilty.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chrono Trigger has more characterization and a cutesy cartoonish personality which service the plot very well. There are multiple endings and time travel to see environments change over time helping to shape the open world feel Chrono Trigger has. Final Fantasy 3 has more traditional RPG elements while Chrono Trigger feels more experimental with a good sense of gravity and diverse environments. CT has a motley gallery of colorful party members you can chose from and character specific scene interactions in some cases (i.e. Magnus in your party might trigger different dialogue at one point versus him absent). I highly recommend Chrono Trigger, which is in a league above Final Fantasy 3. Unfortunately the CT iOS port is slightly blemished by non-retina graphics and unreasonably large sound file size so the DS port is considered superior but still a worthwhile buy for any RPG fan.