iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    After reading some of the online reviews I was wondering after playing the challenges in single player are you still able to just play the AI or is it sort of campaign oriented: complete x amount of challenges and then there is still online matches kinda thing?

2. banjankri

banjankri New Member

May 18, 2012
    Everything about this game is fantastically well done.

Codingmonkeys set the bar for iOS app development.

I hope one day for an iPad release, simply because I can't wait to see what this attention to detail will achieve when it is turned on the larger screen.

3. banjankri

banjankri New Member

May 18, 2012
    Many of the single player challenges have online-multiplayer equivalents. I.e. "Achieve 20% success" and "Achieve 20% Success against online opponents" are two separate achievements.

4. I think I know why they didn't release this for ipad. Cuz they developed it having an ideal UI for playing with just your thumb on iphone. For ipad they'd have to rework it to be landscape and potrait and perhaps enable double clicking perhaps to play a card. They strive for perfection so I can see where they're coming from.

5. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #185 drloony, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    I don't know about perfection. It doesn't matter how great they make the game, some of the fools online make the game so frustrating. Ppl who don't make the last move when they know they're gonna lose, ugh. I guess that's the drawback of this kind of multiplayer set up, I'd prefer if they had time limits on moves and games, I mean a game doesn't take more than 10 mins.
    Edit: Shouldn't take more then 10 mins, but it gets drawn out cause of waiting, maybe if I had more friends to play with it'd solve my problem, thats not the games fault. If anyone wants to add me Gamecenter ID 4FINGAZ
    Edit: After going through all my board and card games, Coding Monkies does deserve some credit for making games play how we want, with features we want, you can find faults but the quality shines through

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=145530][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149285][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149287][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149284][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149282][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=149270][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149058][​IMG][/thread] [thread=141327][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149435][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149290][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]LOST CITIES[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    22/08/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this Reiner Knizia's journey to undiscovered countries and mythical place?

[size=+3][thread=149482]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    08-30-2012 at 12:16 PM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #187 crunc, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    You can still play the AI. You can also completely ignore the challenges or go for them, whatever you want to do. I like the challenges. They add value to the AI play.

I agree that the game needs timers, but so far I haven't had any problem without them (not saying I won't, I just haven't yet). I did have someone quit when they were losing. Grrr. Fortunately the game gives you the win in that case, but still that is so obnoxious.

8. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Thank you for the response. The way it was worded in one of the reviews made it sound more like a campaign based single player only. Have just download and can't wait to play.

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Top notch implementation by TCM. I wish I have the power to give them licenses like Dominion or Thunderstone. :(:mad::p

10. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    No doubt.

I finally realized that the tiny card in the top right next to your opponent's name is the last card they took (be it from the discard or an unknown draw pile card). I wish it also highlighted the last card they played. Sometimes as I wait for GC to connect after opening LC I get distracted and miss what they play:(

Probably doesn't matter. I'm not very good at this thing...

11. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Universal version is not a sure bet, according to the devs. Just got another email.

12. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You can. There are little lights above each of the opponents columns just below the scores. They light up where the last card played was. And if none are lit up, then they discarded a card.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I hadn't noticed those lights. That's helpful - thanks for pointing it out.

14. Gameblend Scott

Gameblend Scott Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Great Game

I think the devs did a great job on this. My first time playing, and was able to learn the game quickly with their tutorial structure.

Great stat tracking and ranking systems. A ton of thought went into interface to keep things simple to play.

Have already put in a bunch of hours, and look forward to many more.

My only small gripe is the color blind issue. I do have a hard time between the green and yellow cards. It helps that they are auto sorted in hand, but a little more contrast would help me out.

15. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    the only thing that really bugs me is that you can't control the sound alert when a new online move is there. I don't want to be informed with a sound but just visually, this really has to be fixed...

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Check your notification in the settings for Gamecenter and turn off the sound to see if this helps.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You can turn off sounds for Game Center and I believe that will stop Lost Cities from making sound alerts. However I have never actually tried this myself. It's worth a shot, at least if that fix is what you want. They should have a setting for LC only. Perhaps they could add that as a setting within the game, but I'm not sure if that's even possible with GC.

18. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I remember seeing that and wondering what it was. Then I forgot about it. Now I feel dumb:( Thanks:)

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    How do I know if my GC friend has this game so that I can send out invitation?

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    In the online games section it lists every single GC friend you have. You have to manually scroll that list and see if they they are ranked. If you see the ??? instead of a shield they may or may not have the game but they haven't played online yet. :/

The other option is to open Gamecenter, go to Games, Find Lost Cities, Tap, Switch to Players view, then it shows friends with the game.

In my case I have 3 Players (those are active games with friends)
    and 21 friends (which includes those 3)