New and Noteworthy in apple store -- different for everyone?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CodeCritical, Nov 19, 2010.

1. CodeCritical

CodeCritical Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    So, a friend just sent us a screen shot that shows us up on his app store's "new and noteworthy", but when I pull up "new and noteworthy" we're not there.

Any thoughts? I'm trying not to get excited, but am just a little ;)

Melia

2. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    OK. We found it. It's new and noteworthy games.

Very cool.

How are these put up there? Are they chosen at random or is it based on some weird combo?

3. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

rand

They are choosen by an editor who played the game and liked it.

4. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Really?? I didn't know that. Thought it was some sort of random thing.

Good to know .. I'll pass that along to the team.

Melia

5. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Congrats guys, this is well-deserved. Your game looks really polished!

6. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Heh hehhhh.. not to sound like a jerk, but take this as constructive criticism - if you are doing the PR for your company, you absolutely need to know how stuff like this works. What N&N means, how exactly one gets there, and what to expect once you are actually on there are all some of the most important things you must deal with during the whole process of app development and promotion. If you don't finesse it properly (mostly before reaching the point you are now at) than you might waste a huge opportunity, and the biggest chance for exposure of your app that you'll ever see.

Anyway, congrats on reaching that lofty plateau, now go do what you can to make the most of it :)

7. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Nope .. you don't sound like a jerk (OK, maybe a bit, but point taken). I'm doing the marketing for my husband's band of developers and have absolutely no experience in this market (mine is all retail based).

That being said, I thought that this was a coup, but then some folks told me it was just dumb luck. Should have stuck with my gut.

I have re-sent all press releases with "Frog Checkers makes New and Noteworthy" in App Store as the subject line and am in the process of posting on forums.

I think that's a good strategy, but would love any insights.

Melia

8. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    it's got a good icon, nice screens, a descriptive name, and very fortunately for you, nimbleBit's "pocket frogs" app has been sitting nicely atop the charts for a little while now. Maybe Frog is the new Zombie!

*goes off to make "180 Frogs"*

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #9 mr.Ugly, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

but 180 was featured too under the same section.. in several countries..

so maybee frogs are not neccessary :).. i would have assumed you would use the "sunshine" to lower your prices but well you aparently didnt

@melia:

i think you guys could improve on a few things..

for example the icon is not really telling much.. because its missing the obvious "checker"... yes its there but
    only an artist might notice it.. i think if you made one of thoose 2 frogs your icon

http://www.codecriticalsoftware.com/frogcheckersiphone/images/phone.jpg

this would make the checker part more obvious, and making the tokens they play with more colorfull.. dark brown is hard to distinguish them.. brighter would be better.. and the token on the icon.. is imho.. not visible

then why do you have only one screenshot on the iphone version? on the german iphone appstore there is only one screenshot visible of the gamefield..

did you tried to localize the itc texts and didn't finished it properly? if so check all your countries where you did that.. you might miss pretty much any good screenshots there..

and for your sake.. show the picture above with the 2 cute frogs playing with the tokes in your screenshots..
    they are supercute but you just your "standard" screenies with frogs who barely have any motion.. they look at each other and have a little smile thats it?!?! the other image has a alot stronger cutness to them..

at the end i was a bit disspointed by the game art itself.. i actualy suspected to see 2 cool animated frogs play checkers with normal tokens.. and tongue action for token movements or whatever else.. and then.. there was just a group of frogs jumping over each other.. yes its ok.. but it doesnt continue the cuteness factor you guys startet with

at the end don't hide your art.. push it into the screenshots.. put your descriptive text in a shortened version into the pictures.. they should go at least the same amount of work into a "screenshot" slot like a single view in your game... thoose 5 slots are your add space.. use them wisely.. don't put "just" screencaps in there.. thoose 5 screenies are selling your game! they need to make the viewer want your product..

10. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    -wrong thread- :eek:

11. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Mr Ugly

Thanks for the good critique. I passed it along to the dev guys and they are working on some of your points.

Unfortunately, we can't find a way around having to "update" the game to change the screen shots and we don't want to do that while it's hot and good reviews are streaming in (would hate to loose those), but do plan on it as soon as we get knocked off N&N and sales slump.

Melia

12. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    You don't need to release an update to change the screenshots.

Itunes Connect -> Manage your apps -> Click on your app -> View details -> Edit screenshots.

Hope I didn't miss the point here.

13. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    You ROCK!! I'll pass that on to the lead dev (also my husband .. heh).

Many thanks

Melia

14. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Mr Ugly!

Thanks for your feedback .. it was good. We did update our screen shots. We did NOT re-tool the game, heh, but appreciate the honest opinions.

We've gotten a great deal of positive feedback on the art and are considering doing a whole dynasty of games in which the frogs star. Perhaps making them more central and interactive.

Still pondering this as it's a balancing act between how much time you spend and how much revenue comes in.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

Melia

15. fanstudiouk

fanstudiouk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 21, 2011
    Male
    Game Development Company
    London
    What do you think about our new game Sweet Froggy?

Sweet Froggy - a new challenging puzzle game for iPhone http://goo.gl/Fu9Ue.

If you like Cat Physics or Angry Birds you will love this one too! Promo codes here http://goo.gl/Aigw2