Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradPat

BradPat Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    any news when this will come out? :)

2. Guibs

Guibs Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    ok I just stumble into this and fell in love. If it's anywhere as good as Game dev story with the star trek theme properly handle and expanded upon, this will be a winner.

hopefully we can get an ETA on release soon.

3. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    ooh yeah, make them funny ones :D

4. jpcoombs

jpcoombs Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Were looking at an August release. Hopefully right before PAX (and were thinking about having a booth at that as well).

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    OK... this game has got my attention.

*subscribes to thread*

Hopefully not everyone will have yellow / blond hair and XY chromosomes. :)

6. Cmdr_Overscore

Jan 26, 2011
    Yeah I wish I could go to PAX but I can't...so make sure you livestream your keynote! :D:D

Are you planning to have many major updates after release?

7. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Not aryans in space. Just the first character model we did. Lots of different of genders, colors, races and species in the game.

8. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Hahahaha - keynote. Good one. Tiny booth in a dark, damp corner 3 floors beneath the main section where dreams go to die and canine sized rats are king. You can find us there giving a keynote to transients.

On a brighter note, yes there will be some major updates after release. New ships, missions and rooms - all free.

We also plan on offering expansion packs that will have fee (like .99) but be major league updates with tons of content (away teams for example, or the ability to be the captain of an alien ship...)

9. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Oh man... I am almost drooling with anticipation for this game. It better be awesome! :D Can't wait for August. Work hard, devs...

10. NinKuji

NinKuji Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Socialworker
    Germany
    hmmm.. august is far far away :mad: ... for such an interesting game :)

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    It will be worth the wait. ;)

12. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    It will be - you have our word

13. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
  14. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    i think the question everyone wants to know is are you going to hire a guest star or booth babes.

15. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    i hope this game is going to be like game dev story but much more massave, almost a cross between game dev + star control 2.

i liked the other games but once you found out how to win it was easy. there wasnt much else to try. with space and ships and stuff you have ALL KINDS of places to branch out.. races...languages.. all kinds of items.. translation devices.. weapons.. etc.

16. Cmdr_Overscore

Jan 26, 2011
    LOL. Speaking of GDS (I think unless you're serious:p), how do you hire new staff? Do you put up a poster at the local space pub or ask the Intergalactic Supreme-President's secretary for a referral?

:D

17. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    If we could afford women we would have them.

18. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    We agree 100%. When GDS was done - it was done. Not a lot of replayability past getting GOTY and builidng a console. In Star Command, you can't play every mission or use every room/weapon because ships have limited number. So if your ship only has room for 4 rooms, you may want to focus on a military ship or science vessel and pick rooms that compliment that to get extra bonuses. But you won't be able to use all the options, so repeated playthroughs will be neccessary.

Play once as a huge battleship then play it again with the fastest ships in the galaxy. Its up to you.

Also, research trees and caps on how much you can do in any one single game should give the game legs.

19. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Quick question, long reply.

To begin with you have a limited pool of XP. You tap into this similar to money, but when you're out you're out. You gain XP by managing daily tasks, taking missions and dealing with events around the galaxy. XP is used to build rooms, upgrade stations, give promotions and a lot of other things. So you have to pick and choose where you want to really use it. If you want the fastest ship in the galaxy you may have to hold off on building that badass gauss cannon.

When it comes to hiring crew members you can look at the available cadets at any given moment. Better cadets will cost you more XP, and ship transfers of veteran officers will cost even more. We want to encourage new cadet recruitment. Why?

One of the goals of the game design is to build loyalty to your crew. Eventually you know everyones name, what they're good at, their rank etc just by interacting with them so much. So when Luitenant Spiking gets electrocuted to death at his console during a battle it really is a big loss to your ship. Replacing his skill set is going to be hard. We want consequences for your actions. And cool funeral sequences.

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    After you finish the game, will you be able to continue playing like in GDS? Because I would love to be able to assemble the ultimate ship with the best crew members and best guns. But obviously, it doesn't seem possible if you finish after completing the story.

Also, how many save slots will there be?