The apps you've bought and the next gen iphone/ipod touch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rozzwell, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Rozzwell

Rozzwell Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Hi everybody,

What will happen to the apps you've bought when the next gen ipod touch or iphone comes out? I imagine that a lot of us will automatically buy the new model of iphone/touch as soon as it comes out, and will want to install previously purchased apps onto the new devices.

I also imagine that the next gen iphone/touch will have superior graphic capabilities or some other type of advancement. So this may lead to some complications.

For example one of my favourite apps is a Spanish dictionary that I paid $30 for. If for some reason I was not able to use this app on the new ipod, I would 'be forced' into re-buying the app. And this is somethng I would be reluctant to do. This example could be true for any number of apps.

Of course, I guess this issue depends on the app developers and whether or not they decide to release a completely new version of their app and sell it as so.

I wonder if anyone else has thought about this.

I have spent around 200 dollars so far. And this is, I have to admit, the first time in a couple of years that I have actually PAID for software. But if the next gen touch comes out and I find that the apps I've purchased are not compatible with next gen touch then I would be very annoyed. So annoyed that I would probably contemplate jailbreaking.

I would like to know your thoughts on this potential issue.

I love my ipod touch, it's probably my most favourite gadget of all time. But this nagging feeling is starting to affect my purchasing habits.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I have an awful headache.

2. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I don't believe this would be a problem as your apps are all located on your computer and i believe they can be transferred to any iPod Touch or iPhone that is connected to it.

3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Well, this tends to happen to all electronic devices. They, like us, have a life-time as well. Eventually there will be more powerful iphones/ipods with better graphics and faster processors but it won't happen for quite some time (at least a couple of years in my opinion). I guess it will be the same thing that happens with the PlayStation consoles: sure, you are allowed to play the old games on your new machine but no one really wants to because they look like crap. Thus, we will have to face the imminent death of our beloved gadgets, but it won't be soon; i mean, they just introduced the app store and all. Buy yes, we will more than likely have to start over and buy new apps. You're thinking too much into this OP, just crack open a cold one, pull up a chair, and watch the future come...

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    There's really nothing to worry about, as most devs update their apps to be compatible and such, and you would never have to repurchase a single thing anyway

5. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ahaha that is the attitude. Do not be afraid of the future, young ones