"The Making Of Princess Birthday Party Puzzles" blog post

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by batgirl717111, Jul 8, 2014.

1. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    hey everyone!
    since my new app was just released today i wanted to share a little more about it beyond "hey check out my new app" ;)

so i did a writeup of how i created the animated art for Princess Birthday Party Puzzles- it's got a lot of image examples and shows how i did the art. here is the link: http://lauratallardy.com/the-making-of-princess-birthday-party-puzzles/?ref=ta
    [​IMG]

i also made a lot of animated gifs for the post, lol.

[​IMG]
    whee!

app download link

thanks for reading! :)

2. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Very nice, thanks for sharing this! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the hard work that went into your app, and the art has a great vintage storybook charm to it.

Also, the horse leg gif is absolutely priceless. :D

3. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    That is some impressive work. I really hope the app does well. I don't have much experience in the apps for kids area, so would be really interested if you can post a bit later with how well it does.

And what tools do you use for the animation?

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I need a new cup of coffee!

Really enjoyed the post.

5. batgirl717111

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to share some of this behind the scene stuff- it's a shame none of the sketches or anything gets into the app.

Except for the horse leg. It's a good thing that one didn't make it in. XD

When the leg thing started happening I just had to get up and leave the computer for a while. I was like ooooook.... break time!! :p

6. batgirl717111

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    Hey OnlyJoe,
    Thanks for the compliments & encouragement! :) Fingers crossed it does well too- it was kind of a gamble sinking so much time into it but once I was halfway in I didn't want to abandon all the work... whatevs. It's out now, finally :)

Kids apps are really fun- there's a lot of extra safety requirements and regulations that apply to kids apps that dont apply to general audience apps, so you have to be aware of those. But it's a lot more fun in my opinion!! I love making up the worlds and bringing them to life with children's characters and making everything really friendly and fun and safe.
    #thinking of the children ;)

i used spine for this- photoshop to create all the art and then esoteric software's Spine program to make the little skeletons and do the animations. it has a bit of a learning curve but can do a lot of cool stuff.

7. batgirl717111

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    Haha, I did by that point too x_x

Thank you! :)