Moon Drop by NimbleBit

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eeenmachine, Jun 20, 2009.

1. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    #1 eeenmachine, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    Hey guys, wanted to show you a little preview of what we've been working on here at NimbleBit (when we've had the time). The video below shows and describes the gameplay. But for those who wish to read:

Your mission: Colonize the moon!
    Guide ever-growing waves of lunar landing pods down to the surface of the moon to populate it with as many colonists as possible. Using your touch guidance system, maneuver the pods to the landing pad at a safe speed, only so many mistakes are allowed!

Submitted to Apple on July 2nd!

2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    That looks amazingly fun! Can't wait till it comes out! You guys put so much polish in your games and that's what makes them so much fun. Good Job! :D :) :cool:

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    looks like another one to pick up!

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #4 Mew2468, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
    Looks awesome :D! Another great NimbleBit game to pick up!

5. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Though I don't have either game I would say it looks a lot like Parachute Panic. Just sayin'.

6. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    seems like parachute panic but with the controls of inxile's shapeshape game.

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow. It may be similar to other games, but I love the control scheme. Can you use two fingers at the same time to propell from different directions at once? I think that would be awesome :D

8. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Oh cool, looks kinda similar to Parachute Panic but with a different theme. I'll be looking forward to this one's release!

9. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    looks awesome O:

10. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    A new take on Parachute Panic! I love that game and i love Nimblebit. That looks to be a great combo!
    I cant't wait

When do you think it will be released?

11. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Guess I better buy and check out this Parachute Panic game!

12. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It looks nice indeed! Another purchase... :)

13. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    #13 Palfince, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
    This looks really good. The graphics look great and I have a lot of ideas for this which will set it apart from Parachute Panic (which in itself is an excellent game).

I know that most of your games are "pick up and play" type games and they seem to do well in the App Store but I'd like to see this game have a little more depth to it. I'd like to see it change this genre the way that Knights Onrush changed the Defend Your Castle type games.

The first thing I think you should do is add 3 different difficulty levels. The easy difficulty would have a big landing pad, the medium difficulty would have a medium sized pad and the hard difficulty, of course, will have a small landing pad. This would add a lot more of a variety to the game and still keep it in the "pick up and play" genre.

The next thing I'd like to see is a campaign mode like Knights Onrush has. You would have a map and you'd have to complete a certain number of waves for each level. There would be no difficulty levels since the levels would vary with different sized landing pads, different numbers and types of people to land and different hazards (UFOs like in Parachute Panic etc). You could also put in a cool story line to this about how these people are travelling from the Earth to the Moon to start a new civilization, or something along those lines. Another thing that would be really cool is if as you landed more people and your population grew, more futuristic houses would pop up on the moon around the landing pad (kind of like in Textropolis). This would only be in campaign mode though and the houses would be the same for each level to make it easier, it would also help tell you how far through a level you are.

Of course you might not want to make this game bigger with a campaign mode since you'll probably want to keep it simple but those are just some ideas for you to look over. I personally like games with a bit more depth (like Sky Burger) but I've enjoyed all of your pick up and play type games so the way it is right now is pretty good. I would like to see difficulty levels added in before it is released though (since it would add slightly more depth).

As I said before though this game does look really great at the moment though and the graphic style is wonderful. This will be another day 1 purchase for me as soon as it is released (regardless of how much depth it has).

14. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I agree with Palfince: a campaign mode and a survival mode will be great!

15. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    looks very polished cant wait until it comes out

16. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks good. Would be cool to see alien spacecraft trying to land and you have to blow them off screen in order to just allow the pods to colonize the moon. If one alien spacecraft lands, they fight with the pods that have landed. Would add to the gameplay and give it a fun twist.

17. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for all the input guys! The gameplay certainly isn't nailed completely down yet. We were thinking of having your moon colony sprout buildings Textropolis style, and pods will not be the only thing being sent your way.

We tried multitouch but it made the game pointlessly easy since you could use a few fingers and stop every single ship from dropping. I'm hoping for an early July release.

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Looks........interesting. Like a new take on Parachute Panic.

19. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I downloaded Parachute Panic and played it for a few minutes. Moon Drop really doesn't have much in common.

20. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I agree. It does not look or play like PP.