iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  2. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While the concept of fighting stacked decks initially had no appeal to me, I'm kind of liking how the first few have worked so far. Almost like a "Surreal Batting Cages for Magic Skills". How good does your deck do against a seemingly endless supply of flying weenies? How about fighting against a dark deck that simply forces you to discard your hand and deck while using your tossed out beasties against you? While these sort of situations could occur in the midst of a standard duel, since these AI decks are completely stacked they can be setup in a way so as to guarantee these obnoxious combos (nor are these Encounter decks hindered by the ol' no more than 4 of kind like you are).

3. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Can someone explain how blocking works? When my creatures get targeted, it then shows a pop message, 'block!'. I pause the game then try to assign my creatures to block. I have land and flying creatures. I drag the cards, I double click the cards, I look for 'block' tabs on the zoomed in cards, nothing happens. Aren't there supposed to be lines going out from my card to the creature card I want to block? I also tried not hitting the pause button and hitting the 'block' button. This also does not work.

4. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Why isn't this explained on the actual card?

5. caffo

caffo New Member

Dec 20, 2008

Having the same issue with my iPads 2 and 3.A real shame, the sound effects are a nice touch. Maybe its just a bug?

6. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    So progress is saved locally? Meaning if I delete the game and later reinstall, I will lose my progress?

To be clear, I'm not talking about restoring a backup that was made while the game was on my device. This should restore the save. But what if I want to remove the game to save space?

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, Magic cards use keywords which are defined in the rules. Partly that's the history of the game as originally a card game.

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Drag from the card that you want to use onto the card you want to block, an arcing arrow will appear between them. This is in the tutorial.

9. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yes, I know this. Have double checked tutorial. It seems to work as advertised in the tutorial but not in actual gameplay. I wonder if my game got bugged after I bought the full version.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I found tapping once on my creature and then the target works good for blocking and attacking duelists.

11. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Is there no limit to a specific card in your deck? I am playing against a black deck in campaign and he has used 7 'horrifying revelations' on me so far, practically one every turn.

12. caffo

caffo New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    That's a encounter deck. Encounters dont follow classic duel rules. They use a stacked themed deck.

13. Earthdweller

Earthdweller Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UK
    Just to report a couple of snags maybe.

I cant remember the exact details so not much help I know but I've had a couple of games where I thought a win was in the bag, 10 or so points left, and then suddenly get the defeated screen for no apparent reason. I'm a long time magic player BTW but maybe I missed something.

Also had a freeze up when I was attacking with about 20 creatures (loads of tokens) and it wouldnt let me add another token then the screen froze completely. However I exited the app by pressing the home button, double tapped home to close Magic 2013. restarted it and my game was back to where it froze but working again.

Also a problem on one of the stacked deck games where you continually have to discard cards, I found it difficult to be able to discard 6 cards by dragging them to the play field (as instructed) the cards kept going back into my hand.

I also keep missing the window to counter a counter spell if you get my drift, I havent got it right yet. Practice needed with the interface I guess.

Overall though very pleased well worth the iap which I paid right away.

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    The last time I seriously played Magic was back when the ice age expansion was still the latest one. I've tried getting back into it here and there over the years, but just felt overwhelmed with all the new stuff.

This app has fixed all that!

For a measly $10 I'm getting a full blown, modern Magic experience! Anyone who's ever tried getting into Magic with the actual cards knows you'll spend WAY more than that just trying out a couple of different decks. What's a deck now days, like $12 or so? That's just one deck. This game gives you a bunch of decks for a ten spot, just gotta unlock them all.

I'm freakin' loving this!

Good lord, I haven't even turned on Diablo 3 today...

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does this game actually include the Planeswalker type cards? If nothing else, at least representing each of the personalities in the game? I just read about them and they sound like an almost Vanguard like twist to gameplay.

16. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Is there anyway we can make the game go a bit faster? It is really slow with all the phases. Great game by the way.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It might just be me being slow but while I see your point, especially early on, once you have a lot of guys on the field and there are several complex interactions in play, you'd hate it if the game just decided to skip onto the next phase on its own. I think you can at least turn off the "card play confirmations" every time a card is played on the field, but unless you are really familiar with all of the cards in play, this could lead into some confusion when your opponent activates some obscure effect from a card you never saw coming.

18. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The screen where you need to select cards to discard or an effect like that needs working on, I sort of have to just keep flicking something and hope it selects it.

I'm sure it'll all change once more people unlock all the card and decks, but I'm very much enjoying my position in the leader boards at the minute.

19. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I am forced to discard four cards on my turn. I have about 11 in hand. I try to discard a land. It won't discard. Don't lands count for discard?

Where do you discard them to? It says 'drag to select'. Okay, I drag it up, down, sideways, dropping it everywhere and it won't leave my hand. Is there a special spot to discard them to? I don't see a garbage can icon. Stuck from proceeding.