I hate being split between Android and IOS.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Teremei, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I prefer IOS due to the amount of games that usually stay on IOS. While Android is making strides, I don't know if it will ever catch IOS as far as my type of games. There are only 2 things Android has that I think about when I'm playing on my ipod touch. No waiting for SNES emulation, and Kairosoft.

With yet ANOTHER new game just out on Android. It's getting rediculous. Kairosoft is pretty much THE reason I got into smartphone gaming. I keep hoping there will be an influx of kairo releases like 4 in 2 months so IOS can catch up. But it's just slipping further away. We might get Beastie bay soon, that's nice. But android just got an apartment simulator dream house days, then they've got Pyraplex, Sushi Spinnery, Kairobotica, and World Cruise story.

No one knows why Kairo seems to have made android their system of choice. But as I look at the dozens of fun little games on my ipod touch. I keep wishing I could play Pyraplex or Sushi Spinnery for a little while. I want to just sell my nexus tab, because I like my ipod touch so much more. And with Gridlee, always having mame on my devices from now on is a huge lift. I just wish for a little more.

2. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    I'm right there with yah. I find my self putting my iOS device away to go fetch latest kairosoft games. They take forever in bringing their new games over to its which is where I would rather play them.
    I live the simplicity of ios versus that of android. And less garbage is running in the operating system so games run smooth. But android has more capabilities.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #3 bigrand1, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    I don't think the IOS has much to worry about, at this point. Just got me a new Samsung Galaxy Note ll, and don't get me wrong--it's a bitchen piece of hardware, what with the quad processors and all, but the Play Store itself is so buggy and has SO many hic-cups and issues, and the conversions of the games for the Android just is very disappointing compared to iTunes and the Apple Store' offerings. He'll, you can't even find Play gift cards hardly anywhere around! They'd do themselves right to imitate the Apple model, but it doesn't seem like Android is up to the task, IMO. Been spending a lot of time checking out life on the other side there, but other than some minor risqué titles there, and a few emulators, etc., it's not even close right now. Helter-Skelter is basically what we have as far as that's concerned. Look out if they ever get their act together, though. Lots of un-tapped potential indeed! I won't be getting rid of my iPad or my other Apple products and jumping ship anytime soon, that's for sure! All the spamming and crap you have to tippy-toe around all over the place really sucks, too.

4. Teremei

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm not worried, more annoyed. Annoyed that I can't have it all on one platform.

I can live with waiting for jailbreak for Scumvm and SNES (and hopefully some day, Sega CD).
    I can live with Kairosoft games taking longer. (as long as they all actually come out on IOS).

Because there are too many benifits I like. Being able to buy a capable phone sized player without a contract or $30 a month data plan (the ipod touch 5th gen is running everything I need it to run, mostly). Having games like Myst and Riven and Tales of Monkey Island. And the nice looking retina display screen. Yes I love the ipod touch and I always like to buy the newest update when they update the hardware that is.

I don't buy smart phones, would love too but don't want the $200 + $720 (after 2 years) investment. I just don't see a galaxy SIV as worth it for 4 or 5 kairosoft games. So instead I just want to rant and say "hurry up kairo, get them on my ipod!". :)

Like I said gridlee has made my ownership of the ipod touch 5th gen much more fun and the lack of new kairo games bearable. But I still pine for them, and SOOOOOoooooon.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you like I'll mindswap you the part of my brain that hates Kairosoft games because they're ugly, lazy phone ports. Then most of your problems are solved ;)

6. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I doubt the vast hardware differences and OS update rates is ever going to be overlooked by developers who are tasked with choosing between iOS and Android.

Kairosoft games don't have particularly big hardware requirements, so they really can just do whatever they want.

Personally, I think emulation is the most appealing aspect of the Android gaming potential, but I got most of my emulation needs--as far as what can be emulated well--several years ago on a PC, so there isn't much I want to play that I haven't played already or that would work well on a touch screen.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If you can afford both, then get both an iDevice and a Droid device...

This reminds me of the 360 vs PS3, XBox vs PS2, Dreamcast vs PS2, PSP vs DS debates...

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #8 bigrand1, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Yup, that's what I got! Can't wait 'til next week to get my brand new iPad 4 (or is that 5 ?) with 128GB of space! Time to sell this 'old' iPad 3 on Craigslist! That made me think---maybe there should be a section on this site where we can sell IOS hardware to fellow members who are interested! After all--who appreciates this stuff more than us? :D Just an idea.... Whatever, I'm just gonna go to the bar, put it down, say 500 bucks, and see who snatches it like a hockey face-off!

9. Teremei

Aug 14, 2011
    The only problem with the buy both argument is that, Kairo games look better on a small screen. I already have a nexus tab. No one makes an android MP3 player (the newest one is from 2010) yearly. So the only way to do that is to get a phone that will cost me $2000 + bucks.

So I think I'll just chose to wallow and rant instead.

Would rather that $2000 bucks go toward maybe a WiiU + a PS4 or something. Much better spent IMO.

10. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Eli or someone has addressed the possibility of such an idea before. It won't happen due to the risks associated with selling things online. Imagine all the accusations of scamming and such.