Universal H2FLOW (by Haptix Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Thanks we made the site simple. Yeah the FLOWID was a neat idea. Is there any stats that you would like to see about the game?

2. Level editor exists in some form...

@Richard

The level editor exists in some form, I had a prototype that was in game where you could draw levels with your finger, save and play. This was great for prototyping level concepts...

What it lacked was the ability to edit anything else... enemy placements, pipe/drain placements, power ups... etc. It would load two images, one the pretty one you see, and one that defines destructible and non destructible terrain.

Our current engine can take any 1024x1024 image and make it a level. A picture of your dog? No problem.

Here is an example of a level and its collision map.
    [​IMG]

I'd personally love to get some kind of level sharing/creation system going in the future...

I'd love to get the community involved and get some cool ideas flowing. You know how hard it is to work within the limits of gravity and water? I tried to design every level so that we never really repeated a concept.

Maybe in the mean time I'd release our terrain art assets and let people drag and drop in their favorite image editor.. gimp/photoshop set up levels and then work together with us to lay out stuff.

We use Unity and while most of the stuff is loaded via code at runtime, the enemy, drains, and pipes were all laid out in their editor. There is for sure a way to make it happen, but right now our goal is just getting it out there and building a player base!

/Sebastian

3. Level 12 - Basin Mason troubles.

Yeah level 12 might be a little bit too hard for early slot that it is in. Maybe we would take out the landmine that sits under the ice or move it elsewhere in the next patch.

We figured the level name, Basin Mason, would be a clue. A basin is typically a bowl or something round shaped for water. Masons work with stone... or bricks. Maybe a bit of trying to be too clever :eek:.

There are a few solutions... here is one where I dig straight down quickly... I did miss a drop though.

https://everyplay.com/videos/6421775

This is the typical dig down, grab the bricks, lay a brick path.

https://everyplay.com/videos/6421761

PROTIP: When you are flying and laying brick paths, if you hit the barrier button it should lay one at the spot you just flew past like I do in this video around the 17 second mark.

So plenty of ways to solve it, some I haven't even thought of yet I am sure.

/Sebastian

4. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Even knowing what to do, I find it very difficult to reproduce. The construction has to be very precisely laid down, which I don't manage because I bump into obstacles and the path leaks water in the wrong places.
    Starting from level 12, it gets an impossible game to drain 100% water within the time restriction. I see references to a store to buy power ups that are necessary? But I cannot find it :confused: There is a button(?) with a dino head in the main level menu, but it doesn't do anything

5. @movement controls

We are open to any suggestions you guys have in regards to the controls and movement... if you can think it, we can probably do it.

Chris and I have discussed and fought over the movement mechanics over the years.

We decided to go with this one for release because it is the simplest for non gamers to figure out. One of the MAIN problems is the iPhone screen is so small that it is hard to get a proper exact point from your wide finger tip.

iOS only registers the first part of your finger that touches and since our finger pads are so large it is hard to get that exact point - especially when you need some pretty accurate moves in some of these levels.

It DOES play a bit easier on say an iPAD.

We tried other movement mechanics. We had a joystick-like slide mechanic in at one point that would do a 1:1 ratio of your finger move which was a very neat move mechanic but *I* felt dragging your finger over and over across the screen would get tedious. This worked well when the maps were easy, but once they got more complex this move mechanic was put on the back burner.

Would you prefer a mechanic like in BLEK where you draw a line ... like a curved line that would essentially be a trail of waypoints for the character to follow?

So lets say you have that draw a line mechanic... how do you cancel or stop the character if you "change" your mind of where you want it to go? Does the character have to go through all the waypoints you drew from the first line before it can start on the second set of waypoints?

Does drawing a new line cancel the old one? How do you just "stop" in the middle of a line you drew? Would you introduce a two finger touch to stop the character where he is?

Now in regards to auto path finding like in a RTS game... it becomes a problem with destructible terrain because the path finding might decide to fly through a section of saw blades because it is the most optimal instead of the hole you just punched through the ground. It takes away too much precision from the player and then you are fighting with the auto path finding...

We are open to suggestions, we want to make this the best experience we can and appreciate any feedback.

/sebastian

6. saosijs, email [email protected] and we'll give you some cash so you can check out that store. The store is located on the win / lose screen - it is a big button that looks like a shopping cart.

The dino head you are clicking on is the "quick costume changer" on the level select screen that gets arrows going left and right once you buy another costume.

Sorry to hear about the difficulty. I've played the game so much that maybe I under estimated the skill level required to beat that one.

In the next patch we will fix it and make it easier with more time.

7. @saosijs +1,000,000 cash.

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I just put my review on the US AppStore. Still really enjoying this, and would love to see this awesome game and talented developers get the attention they deserve. This is a SOLID indie game.

Five stars.

Richard

9. thank you

Thanks a bunch! Hopefully word of mouth will help spread the game. We're a small team so every little bit of help is super important to us. Thanks again.

We've got a whole bunch of ideas to make H2FLOW a better experience... but would love to hear everyones feedback!

10. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Thanks for the cash!
    The store is hard to find. It should be available in options or in another place too. Not only when you have finished a level.

I bought the coin doubler and expected it to automatically be active, that is how a coin doubler usually works, but that is more for IAP coin doublers, I realize. Anyway, this coin doubler is a costume so I had to go to the level select menu to select it there (Dino at the bottom). It doubles the value of the in-level collected coins (a 25 coin becomes worth 50, etc); it doesn't double the final score of a level (which is also counted in coins) unfortunately ;). What I would like to see is the possibility to select the costume before the level starts. The hat (costume) you are wearing is a strategic choice and now it is only possible to change it in the level select menu (kind of hidden imo and which you don't see when playing a level and go to a next level).

The power ups seem to have different categories: costumes and something else. I think it would be good to separate them in the store. Examples of something else are "Add Time" (add 10 seconds to the clock) and "Gift Pack" (Max your inventory to +99 everything), which I bought, but I didn't see any effect :confused: [edit] Ah! found it, on the bottom right when playing a level there is a button with above it a small arrow. The arrow opens a menu with these items like this "Add Time" and "Gift Pack". Apparently they are consumable power ups. Ah! and now I see in the store that the consumable power ups have a name in yellow and the permanent power ups, the hats (costumes) are in red.

Also, there should be a confirmation popup for purchases in the store. I bought several times an item by accident by scrolling through the item list.

11. @saosijs,

It's a puzzle after all... ;)

/chris

12. Noted. This one is kind of harder to fix quickly because the store is not accessible from the level select menu code wise. It only exists "within" a level. Maybe we could add a button from the PAUSE screen.

Correct that it doubles the coins that you pick up in the scene. That coin value is the one that is multiplied @ the end of the level. So if you picked up 500 coins and the multiplier (for sake of ease) is 200% now you will get $1000....

If you are wearing top hat (1.5x coin value) or pharaoh (2x coin value) then those 500 coins you picked up are 1000 at that point due to the hat... then multiplied by the 200% is $2000.

Pretty much you want to pick up coins AND beat the level as fast as you can.

There are two ways to switch costumes. One is in the shop which is accessible after you WIN or LOSE. Once you purchase the costume, you can click on it again --- it now says "EQUIP"
    [​IMG]

the other way is on the level select screen, once you have another costume to switch to you will get arrows on either side of that costume button (dino head).

[​IMG]

Where do you believe the most useful place would be to place this costume changer that allows you to switch between levels? The costume switching functionality exists in the shop menu which you already have access to... let me know and we can do something.

Not the intention to have people mistakenly buy stuff. The ICON of the item is really a button, but dragging and scrolling the text or anywhere NOT THE ICON will let you scroll no problem without buying.

We will take a look at some kind of confirmation system.

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the first time! Was $€1.99 before. Very recommended!