Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #21 pjft, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Love this quote :D

Well, it depends on your tastes, of course - I did enjoy NSS quite a lot. This game is kind of meta in the same way, with just the right degree of "one more time", "pick up and play", and built for mobile.

As long as you know what you're going for, I believe you'll be fine. If you want further impressions - since, as I stated, I'm still only halfway through the first Campaign - do look through the Upcoming thread, since others have left their thoughts there.

I'm enjoying it so far - you can control the amount of difficulty you face, since you design the battles that are thrown at you (for the most part), and you get to customize how many members your party has, etc. In that sense, it's up to you to go for harder battles and earn more XP and gold, or play it safe in order not to die.

I hope you enjoy the game Fallen_Grace.

Also, a small heads up: the English is not 100% perfect, since English is not the developer's first language, but it is fairly unnoticeable asides from some typos.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Since you love the quote I get I copy right lol j/k

3. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I've never played New Star Soccer, but this game looks awesome. Well, maybe. Is this like one of those Kairosoft resource management "games"? I saw someone in that other thread make the comparison and I went from almost buying this game to being slightly apprehensive...

4. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Yeah I decided to buy it,was already on the edge so...will play it before sleeping,am sure it'll be fun :)

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    @runliketurtles: Not quite sure what you have in mind, but it is not like Dungeon Village at all (the Kairosoft game).

The gameplay is very, very simple. Think of this as a tabletop RPG simulator, with dice rolling, a Dungeon Master, etc. If you don't know how it is like, essentially the Dungeon Master is the one creating the story as you go along.

You have a party, and you're at a location.

You interact with the Dungeon Master, and either ask him to create a battle for you, a quest, or you can interact with some characters at that location - for instance, the "Enchanter" or the "Blacksmith". There are a few different quests, which will usually involve traveling some place and fighting some monsters. The story will go on.

You decide where to go, when to battle - or to rest - etc. You decide how many enemies to battle at each location, what's their type, in order to suit your difficulty level and your party's experience. You earn XP, you select how to upgrade your party members, and you also get gold. Traveling will cost you some minor amount of money, and you may run into a battle on your way there - a roll of dice, the danger of that route, and your luck stats decide that.

You can buy weapons - which means asking the Blacksmith to forge them for you, and then you roll a dice to see if he was successful in doing so. Weapon building takes real world time, a bit like Tiny Tower. Not a big deal. You could pay in-game money to speed it up, but it's not significant, since the weapon you purchase is usually an upgrade to your existing one - I haven't yet seen an absurdly powerful weapon that I could buy. You can also upgrade the Blacksmith with items that you find in game (or that you can also buy, but the items are easy to find), in order to increase his odds of success in forging the weapon. You can also upgrade the Enchanter to get more powerful items and potions.

And I guess that's the essence of the game. Battles. And travel. And following the story.

You can add people to your party, and you can buy stuff to decorate your living room, which will give you more XP per battle, or more gold, etc. It's just fun, accessory stuff.

You can also buy consumables for your party, but they're both very cheap and fairly weak, I believe. I never bought any.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

Feel free to ask anything you have questions about, but I'm sure Sanuku's video will clear up all your questions and help you decide if this is a game for you :)

6. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    @pjft, I'm not actually sure how to describe what it is about Kairosoft games like Dungeon Village that I don't enjoy. However, your description is not it:) Therefore, sold. Thanks!

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    The problem with the videos is, if I wanted to spend 10 minutes watching a video, I'd just buy the game and try it for 10 minutes. What I want is to get an impression in 1 minute. I don't know what the solution is, but watching all of the videos for all of the games I might be interested in, would take forever.

8. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #28 retr0spective, Oct 31, 2012
    I just picked it up and am really enjoying it. The similarity to Kairosoft Sims is primarily cosmetic. In a Kairosoft game you basically control the environment, stats, and direct the characters while they go about accomplishing activities on their own. This is more of an RPG which has direct control over customization of the characters and their battles. It is best described, IMO as a Desktop RPG Simulator. Your characters are roleplaying at roleplaying - an additional layer of imagination is superimposed on top quite beautifully.

9. ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    E-Discovery data technician
    Southern California
    New Star Soccer is kick ass. I was heavily addicted to that game for a stint there

10. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    New Star Soccer is an excellent game!

This also looks equally excellent so I will get this ASAP :)

I love rpg games and used to play a lot of D&D

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #32 Vovin, Oct 31, 2012
    Played for nearly one hour now and all I can say is that this is clearly a winner in every category.
    I feel like Dr. Who picked me up and brought me back into the 90's. I'm at home here. This game is a billet-doux - a love letter to my youth.

12. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Lot of fun so far... interesting mechanics and 'meta game' style... best of all, can play it vertically oriented.

13. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Totally bought this right now. Didn't even want to wait until I got home from work, needed it on my phone asap. =)

Although I DO have to wait until I get home to play. =(

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This looks so twisted I'm interested!

Does the game give you any incentive to risk? I mean what incentive do I have NOT to have my characters fully rested between each encounter?

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  16. BeholdStudios

BeholdStudios Member

Jan 13, 2012
    LordGek

The risk you can take is to make the fights more challenging: put together a bunch of monsters and it will be harder - but the rewards will be equaly greater in terms of xp, gold and item drops.

Also, every time you rest outside of town there is a chance you'll be attacked in your sleep, so even trying to sleep is a risk itself sometimes!

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, you can rest them. If you do so in a town or village, you have the inn. More often than not, you will have to camp, and that means to roll a dice to see if you get a good night sleep or if you are attacked by monsters. If you are attacked by monsters, you have no control over how many attack you. You can always try to run away from battles, though.

I feel that you have an incentive to fight harder battles because you get more XP and more gold. I think that it might be related to the bars that show up when you're selecting the opponents, though I still haven't fully understood the meaning of both red and yellow bar - one is meant to be difficulty, but the other one I don't know.

Does that answer your question?

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Each time you rest it claims to reduce experience and increase enemies. Given that you choose how many enemies you face I haven't quite figured this out yet. Then again I have been a little busy and didn't have too much time to dedicate investigating.

Whole heck of a lot of fun though!

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I can`t believe there are still a few who haven`t smashed the buy Button yet. This Game is probably one of the best Releases this Week besides Titles like Need for Speed Most Wanted and ARC Squadron.

What the hack are you waiting for?