The Best Approach To Advertising A Camera Application

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by IconicDigital, May 14, 2012.

1. IconicDigital

IconicDigital Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Freelance Developer, London
    London
    Hi All,

I have a video camera application that will hopefully be ready for launch in the next few days and I am looking for some advice on how to approach the launch and choosing the best category fit.

The application is video based and uses the Iphone camera. The app can take a live vide stream and edit it as its been filmed using a number of different effects. There is also another part of the app that lets you take videos from the camera roll and also edit them with effects i.e. black and white, sepia etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best approach to marketing and positioning this type of application on the app store. Previous app launches that I have done haven't been a massive success. Here are a few questions.

What is the best primary category for this type of application? I was thinking Camera but I can imagine that the volume of traffic would be higher if I was to pick the entertainment category.

Ideally I would like to have a fixed tier 2 price but i'm not sure whether or not to release it with a discounted price as a promotion i.e. free or 1/2 price. Is it worth doing this?

Does anyone have any specific advice on how to market camera apps? I am not a marketing expert so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Oliver

2. AppVersal

AppVersal Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Hi,

Sounds like a fun App. For marketing, the entertainment category would be better. As it helps users add more exciting effects. It would also be a good idea to make it sound as if the App could be the next Instagram considering their success. Not to mention it outright, but with the choice of words that would make it seem so.

Have a website and reach out to media outlets in that way.

Good luck!

3. IconicDigital

IconicDigital Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Freelance Developer, London
    London
    Thanks for the advice, I think the entertainment category might be the better choice.

Oliver