Story-driven games on the App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Echoseven, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    So I have a game... It's a heavily exploration- and story-driven affair, just like the title says.

My problem is the audience. Is there room on iOS for another experience like The Walking Dead?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing my game to that one, but it's similarly narrative-driven and I was even considering a similar control scheme. The Walking Dead seems to be doing very well, but they have the huge support of the brand and the recognition and following that come with that.

If I release what I have, will it flop without the widespread appeal, or will a well-written story drive the game along on its own?

[EDIT: Or in other words, if TWD was released without being labelled TWD, would it still do just as well?]

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Gotta promote it. I like those type of game so give us the info and screen shots and lets see what ya got

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Thought someone might ask that, but that's still a very, very long way off. No announcements, but the core of the game is there. Just wondering if it's worth the effort it would take to finish, since it seems like a small niche.

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Hey do it why not. You got adventure fans here :)

5. Reza

Reza Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Software Developer.
    Mountain View
    #5 Reza, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Adventure games are a risk since most ios users are casual. So you'd be aiming for a smaller market. However if your game is engaging, polished and well promoted then it won't flop. There is a niche market for that kind of stuff.

Another thing you have to keep in mind, adventure games are usually highly dependent on dialog and storytelling (unless your artist are very talented expressionists). And they need to be translated for a more global appeal. Keep in mind that kind of stuff could be pricey...

TWD is a known brand, If you want my opinion, I don't think that game would have been as successful had it not been for the brand.

But something positive to keep in mind. Small niche markets are historically more dedicated. They're probably willing to pay more and are much more inclined to purchase 'episodes, acts, chapters,'

6. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    I'm weeks away from releasing a story driven adventure game and I share your concerns. A great source of inspiration to me is Fire Maple Games who've released some really cool adventure games and achieved great success. Last I heard, his two adventure games have sold at least a million copies! He's also done this with minimal marketing.

Interview with the creator

7. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    Assuming you can let potential fans know the game exists, I think you could potentially do quite well charging more to a dedicated niche market.

Have you considered crowd funding? Might be a way to guage interest before you commit to finishing the game?

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I didn't know Echo was a developer...

As for the game, I love anything that's story driven with a strong plot and well developed characters. I have very limited knowledge of how the appstore works, though, so I really can't say whether the game would take off or not. I do know that recognition is a very important factor in the appstore, not just having a good game. Crazy Hedgy is a sad example of a near perfect game that doesn't sell well due to little exposure.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm not, I've just been messing around with ideas for a while and finally settled on something better than the usual drivel of my efforts. :p

Crowdfunding isn't what I'm looking for, really. Just want there to be an actual end to one of my projects at least. If I'd crowdfund anything, it would be the $100 developer fee, hehe.