iPod Touch 2nd gen compatible games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by trev2hi, Sep 11, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You can have mine for $100. Better condition than your sister's.

2. Frustrated-iMum

Frustrated-iMum New Member

May 31, 2013
    #42 Frustrated-iMum, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Can anyone advise? My son has just been bought a reconditioned ipod touch 2nd generation (4.2.1, 8GB), and is really fed up, trying to search for any free games which are available to him now. I just want to throw it out of the window, so I'm trying not to be Luddite and thought I'd ask the experts (you out there). Can anyone help? He'll be so happy to have 4 or 5 games to get him going. All the games he knows about are for much more recent games and he's now feeling the £70+ present is worthless...

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #43 Fleabag323, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    2nd gen is a bit tough because developers that want to support the iPhone 5's whole screen (pretty much every release since September plus apps from before then that have been updated) can only target iOS 4.3, which isn't available for it.

Because of that, you want to look for games that came out a while ago but haven't been updated recently. Try looking at TouchArcade's top games until about 2011. Most of the games will be paid though (2nd gen was before the freemium trend). Just make sure that the app is compatible with 4.2.1 before you buy or try to download them. Part of the problem is that a lot of the best games are also the most successful ones, meaning they will have been updated for iPhone 5.

Of the games you'll find on these lists that will work, I recommend Space Miner, Hook Champ/Super Quickhook, and Rolando/Rolando 2. Not sure if it's on the list, but I Dig It Expeditions is also good. Obviously what games would fit depends on your son's age though. Of all of those, Rolando 1 and 2 are pretty suited for every age.

http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/25/best-of-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-a-2008-holiday-guide/
    http://toucharcade.com/2009/12/25/best-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-2009-buyers-guide/
    http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/24/best-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-2010-buyers-guide/
    http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/23/best-ios-games-2011-buyers-guide/

4. Solverguy

Solverguy New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    #44 Solverguy, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    I wrote an iOS app called VintApps 3.1.3 that will really help with this.
    Information on nearly 35,000 apps which require iOS 3.1.3 or earlier. Of those, there are nearly 9,000 game apps. It works on all iOS device iOS 3 or later and is only 99 cents.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vintapps-3.1.3/id639274910?mt=8&uo=4

I also wrote an an app called VintApps 4.2.1 which includes over 35,000 more apps requiring iOS 4.2.1 or earlier but Apple 's one man review and appeal board is rejecting new app store finder apps so unfortunately it will unlikely ever be available to help Apple customers.

5. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    your application is not on appstore,can anyone suggest good horror game for ipod touch 2G 4.2.1?

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Wait seriously? You mean in general or because it to closely resembles an alternate "store" which was their previous rejection stance. I hope this doesn't mean AppShopper and AppZapp will never get any more updates...

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Would Prisoner 84 work on it? Or maybe "The Crimsons"?

8. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    the Crimsons,thanks for that friend :)

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Did you find it on the AppStore? Because I can't...

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    How about "Hysteria project 1" and "Mystique 1&2".

11. There's still the free tool I made to find apps for older iPods:

https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/

All legal, by the way. Nothing hacky.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know not everyone is made of money but ipod 2nd gen ???

I couldnt believe how cheap my ipod 4th gen 64 gig went for on ebay, sold so cheaply. Prices of ipod 4th gen's on ebay are very low

13. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    All of my old games should work fine on even a first generation iPod touch, be sure I've been out of the app dev scene for over three years. :p

Fastar is a lot of fun!

Blue Defense is unique on the App Store (second wave may not be compatible, but we just put up the original again)

Blue attack and Red Conquest are more complicated, so depending on your kid he might just not like them.

14. Please excuse this mini-rant. It's not aimed at you. But It's too bad you had to sell it for a big loss. It was expensive when new, and you should have gotten many years of good use out of it. The iTunes store makes it very hard to find apps which are compatible with the older iPods like the 2nd generation. Apple could easily include an option to filter out incompatible apps, but for reasons I can only speculate, they haven't done so.

Apple makes its money by selling hardware, but it also makes money selling apps made by independent developers. But guess what? When customers find they need to get a new device after only a couple years, they're going to start looking at Android.

I like Apple. I don't mind paying for a quality device provided that I'm going to get years of good service. But Apple's policy of discouraging development of apps for older devices and the aforementioned roadblocks for customers who want to pay money for apps that work on older devices is corporate suicide.

So I made a simple tool to help Apple despite themselves, to help developers who did the hard work is making good quality games and useful apps, and even to help gamers with the latest iPod who don't want their little sister to mess up their personal device. (There are really lots of games still available for the 1st generation devices, so you can find something nice for her!)

As far as I'm concerned, the proper reason to get a new device is because there's some new game or feature you just want so badly you'll buy a whole new device (Think Halo when it was new, or the Grand Theft Auto 5 for the console players). When Apple tries to strangle the older devices, it's really strangling itself.

Oh, by the way, the App store recently began allowing downloads of "last compatible versions" but this is a poor solution because it guarantees you're getting an out-of-date app. If you want a shot at a current, supported app, you'll need a tool like iOSSearch.

Rant off.

15. mirandalou

mirandalou New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    hemphill tx
    hi everyone!
    im geting really frustrated! i know its christmas and i got a used ipod 2g and i cant find any games! i know if i want games i have to look for old games but like when ppl list the games for the ipod 2g i go and try to download them but they wont let me... and i dont wanna tell my mom that i cant do anything on the ipod....
    help. please :eek:

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hey, welcome to TA and Merry Christmas. Did you try the games on this list? Most of these should still be supported: