Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old Today, 06:56 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopop View Post
Thanks for the support I want to reach IOS 7 people, especially since folks like you are on it still. Right now the only way to keep A5 devices from downloading the app is to restrict it to Metal, which only comes in IOS 8.

i COULD not restrict it, and just keep the main version IOS 7 (or even 6) compatible, and just say that it's not compatible with A5 devices. I can set it up so that it will use metal if its available, and will use opengl if it isnt. Then I could still offer the older free version.

Its tricky because one way reaches more people, but also opens it up for incompatible devices to access it. The other was restricts it to compatible guaranteed devices but leaves out IOS 8.

Probably better to think forward and just do the IOS8 meta thing, but after reading that you're on IOS 7 i am going to give it some more thought. I should probably look at IOS adoption rates too to help me through this transition.
Yeah, I totally understand the difficulty in deciding which way to go. For me, when new iOS versions come out I know a lot of my favorite apps might not get needed updates right away. Or I might have to reorganize my files if I update.

I just know that on this iOS my phone can do exactly what I want at the moment, so there no need to go through the hassle. Plus, the whole metal thing gives me reason to look forward to upgrading my phone eventually and enjoying that next step.

But yeah, iOS adoption stats probably would be helpful. However, I just hate seeing one-star reviews from people who might not have read the description. Just not fair for devs like yourself.