Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaymon View Post
purple is a higher rarity than orange
White>green>orange>purple>gold(yellow)>black

Source-Tricket
Hmm, that's strange. The in-game text (Mike's Magic Mansion -> green Help! button -> Combine Slots -> Colors) says something different: "From common to rare, the colors are, in order, WHITE, GREEN, PURPLE, ORANGE, GOLD, STARS." Was Tricket right on the boards or in the code?

Quote:
It's a rough categorization, since you might have one orange card that was better than another, but it should be a reasonable visual guide.
I think that's probably what happened - my card must have been right on the margins. I liked the stats better despite the nominal drop in rarity, anyway.

Last edited by Marney; 04-22-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marney View Post
Hmm, that's strange. The in-game text (Mike's Magic Mansion -> green Help! button -> Combine Slots -> Colors) says something different: "From common to rare, the colors are, in order, WHITE, GREEN, PURPLE, ORANGE, GOLD, STARS." Was Tricket right on the boards or in the code?

I think that's probably what happened - my card must have been right on the margins. I liked the stats better despite the nominal drop in rarity, anyway.
Hi, everyone! Sorry about my recent silence -- the whole family came down with annoying cold/flu this last week, and I've been away from the boards for a bit.

For the text, sounds like I typed something wrong in the code. Purple *is* supposed to be the more rare one. Let me go fix that right now... yep, definitely a typo! Fixed now; thanks for catching it.

And yes .. there are definitely "fringe" cases where, really, a card could be either color, and a human might color it differently than the computer (like if a barracks gets an extra 5% range, do you really care?).

Meanwhile, since we haven't updated you in a while, things we're working on for the 1.5 iPad patch:
- Discovered there's a bug in the underlying 2.1 Cocos2D code that crashes a bunch on certain text and particle effects. We had upgraded to C2D 2.1 for the 1.4 update, and suddenly people are getting crashes. We've gotten a workaround in place, so those crashes should go away in 1.5.
- Added the achievements to Game Center. I haven't put in an in-game viewer for them yet, but you'll see them from the Game Center app, and earn points properly. I'll put in a button to view them when I get the chance.
- Some new specialty buildings like gold mines, that let us create slightly different game-play in some levels.
- Bridge defense cards -- can now overlap ground units and air units to have a doubly-defended bridge if you have both cards.
- Kamcord (the video-recording stuff) fixed so that you can send in videos longer than 5 minutes.
- Some new assorted cards like a "Farmers become Brutes" and things like that.
- Some new levels to show off things like farmers running around, gold mines, and other stuff.
- The usual various behind-the-scene tweaks and fixes to stop crashes and fix data values.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 PM

That update sounds good! I'm glad you guys identified and solved the crash problem. I had just started to notice it while developing an addiction to the various cannons. Noticed something else, too -

Bug: Inheritance (gold border)
I've combined this down to 30% deck cost (green sphere icon), 124% gold (coin stack icon). Further combinations seem to have no effect (4 tries now) and give me 60+ gems instead, while eating the lower Inheritance card(s). Is this like the Boys On Fire card, which doesn't seem to improve once the deck cost drops to 15?
Also, on the back of the Inheritance card, next to the 124% gold coins icon, it says: "Additional starting gold (beyond basic card)." However, this doesn't do anything. The basic card says it gives "39% extra cash," and this part works - if I go into, say, Festival of Lights at Master level, it gives me 1504 with Inheritance equipped instead of 1080.
Am I misunderstanding the intent of the text? Is the 39% in the main description a number that's already been modified by 124%? Usually this sort of thing is noted on the back, like "adjusted from 300 to 360" for range.

Oh, and a question: for the "defended" type (mage, catapult, and archer towers), if the defenders die, do they respawn? I don't think they do, but I might have missed something; usually, if one of them drops, it's getting kind of frantic.

Last edited by Marney; 04-22-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
That update sounds good! I'm glad you guys identified and solved the crash problem. I had just started to notice it while developing an addiction to the various cannons. Noticed something else, too -

Bug: Inheritance (gold border)
I've combined this down to 30% deck cost (green sphere icon), 124% gold (coin stack icon). Further combinations seem to have no effect (4 tries now) and give me 60+ gems instead, while eating the lower Inheritance card(s). Is this like the Boys On Fire card, which doesn't seem to improve once the deck cost drops to 15?
Also, on the back of the Inheritance card, next to the 124% gold coins icon, it says: "Additional starting gold (beyond basic card)." However, this doesn't do anything. The basic card says it gives "39% extra cash," and this part works - if I go into, say, Festival of Lights at Master level, it gives me 1504 with Inheritance equipped instead of 1080.
Am I misunderstanding the intent of the text? Is the 39% in the main description a number that's already been modified by 124%? Usually this sort of thing is noted on the back, like "adjusted from 300 to 360" for range.

Oh, and a question: for the "defended" type (mage, catapult, and archer towers), if the defenders die, do they respawn? I don't think they do, but I might have missed something; usually, if one of them drops, it's getting kind of frantic.
I'll take a look at Inheritance. For the maxxing out / extra gems -- what that generally means is that there are only a certain number of boosts that can apply to that card, and it's managed to hit that maximum but still has points left over, so it gives you them back as gems. It may be that Inheritance has hit its cap for 14 "points" of play-cost reduction (each granting 5% reduction), and ... possibly 6 "points" of increased value, each at 4% increase. And after that, it looks for other things to modify, but the card doesn't have a building range or building cost to effect, or trooper values to modify, or things like that, so it gives up and gives you the rest back as cash. Ways we could fix that could be (a) allowing the mods to go higher on that card, or (b) finding other modifications that would make sense for the Inheritance card (suggestions welcome!).

As for the percentages ... let me go check under the hood and see what it's trying to do. My suspicion is that the card starts at about 10% or 12% base increase (so call it 112% of normal cash). You then get a 24% bonus on that: 1.12 * 1.24 => 1.39 result. So ... yeah, that. It just needs to be explained more clearly. The problem is that there isn't a "base" like there is for range or damage, so all it will be able to say is something like "(adjusted from 12% bonus to 39% bonus)".

The "Defended" buildings ... ah, those poor things. They are all crazy, because I kinda hacked them in on a system that wasn't designed for it. So:
* As you've discovered, on buildings where you have something like an archer on the roof of the barracks, he vanishes when you upgrade, but cannot be hurt otherwise;
* When you have, say, a conscript defending a catapult, he will respawn when he is killed, but *only* while it is still that building. If you upgrade to a L2 catapult, he will stick around until he is killed, at which point no more of him will spawn.

Confusing enough for you? If I ever get a chance, I'll go back and rework those systems to try to make the various guys more permanent whenever possible, or at least make it more obvious what is happening with them.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all the clarifications That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricket View Post
other modifications that would make sense for the Inheritance card (suggestions welcome!)
Hmm, how about the gold mines from the coming update? I assume a mine will take up a tower position and generate gold over time. Two modifications would fit with the Inheritance card's theme, and use existing mechanics:
1) Free gold mine(s) - depending on the bonus level, the first 1 to 10 mines you place are free.
2) Cheaper gold mine(s) - as in the subcontractor-type cards. This could coexist with #1.

If you ever do go back and rework the Defended guys, maybe they could upgrade along with the tower, either for a cost - attached extra button, like the Explosive Arrows from the Boys on Fire card - or automatically? But at a reduced rate, so a level 1 defended tower would get a conscript, level 2 a Brute, level 3 a soldier, and level 4 a knight.

Hmm, what would you do about the Archer & Mage tower in a rework?

Other stuff:

Graphical weirdness: in Townbridge, the water current animation goes right over the bridge. I guess this is an engine limitation thing, because the same sort of thing happens in other places, but on this map the placement of the various graphical elements makes it glaringly obvious. Or maybe I've just farmed that one stage too often

Textual inconsistency: the Tri-Cannon is called a Hydra Cannon when upgrading to it in battle.

Bug: Boys On Fire / Phoenix Eyrie interaction
You can train Explosive Arrows either before or after converting an outpost to the Eyrie. The Eyrie will then fire explosive arrows rather than phoenixes, but with Eyrie range and target discrimination (flying enemies only)
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for all the clarifications That makes sense.

Hmm, how about the gold mines from the coming update? I assume a mine will take up a tower position and generate gold over time. Two modifications would fit with the Inheritance card's theme, and use existing mechanics:
1) Free gold mine(s) - depending on the bonus level, the first 1 to 10 mines you place are free.
2) Cheaper gold mine(s) - as in the subcontractor-type cards. This could coexist with #1.

If you ever do go back and rework the Defended guys, maybe they could upgrade along with the tower, either for a cost - attached extra button, like the Explosive Arrows from the Boys on Fire card - or automatically? But at a reduced rate, so a level 1 defended tower would get a conscript, level 2 a Brute, level 3 a soldier, and level 4 a knight.

Hmm, what would you do about the Archer & Mage tower in a rework?

Other stuff:

Graphical weirdness: in Townbridge, the water current animation goes right over the bridge. I guess this is an engine limitation thing, because the same sort of thing happens in other places, but on this map the placement of the various graphical elements makes it glaringly obvious. Or maybe I've just farmed that one stage too often

Textual inconsistency: the Tri-Cannon is called a Hydra Cannon when upgrading to it in battle.

Bug: Boys On Fire / Phoenix Eyrie interaction
You can train Explosive Arrows either before or after converting an outpost to the Eyrie. The Eyrie will then fire explosive arrows rather than phoenixes, but with Eyrie range and target discrimination (flying enemies only)
I'll see about making Inheritance work with gold mines -- neat idea.

For the water animation stuff with bridges -- thanks! Yeah, that's really the bridge's fault: normal foreground objects (towers, trees, etc.) know they are "above" the ground ... in order to let guys walk over the bridges properly, the bridges get pushed "down" in the game scene ... and apparently right now they're fighting with the ripples, which sit just above the surface of the water. I'll go tweak those.

I'll fix the cannon naming issue -- thanks. And wow, what a weird Phoenix interaction! Never thought of that one. I'll fix the data for it.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Short Interview

Oh, figured I'd mention that there's a short interview with Mike and myself up at DeveloPower.org: http://developower.org/tom-ricket-man-at-arms-td/ .. in case anyone's interested in yet more background info on us and the game.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

I enjoy this game quite a lot. It has an interesting change with the deck system. To decide how you want to build you deck, what cards to use in order to succeed is pretty rewarding. A small, but nice game in my eyes.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorat View Post
I enjoy this game quite a lot. It has an interesting change with the deck system. To decide how you want to build you deck, what cards to use in order to succeed is pretty rewarding. A small, but nice game in my eyes.
Thanks, Namorat! We'll try to keep adding stuff (cards, maps, whatever) to keep it interesting for you!