Netflix Dragon Up (by East Side Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jimwagner, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jimwagner

jimwagner Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I admit the tutorial has WAAAY too much info in it, that's one of the things we're working on once we get our new quest system in.

How far did you get into the tutorial?

2. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    The valhalla idea sounds great. I know exactly what you mean by Tiny Tower feeling like work. I quit that game a little after I reached 100. It is odd to me that the types of dragon isn't even. I think the yellow dragons have two rare items (bone sword and flower thing) compared to the rest that only have one.

3. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Yep, we're working on filling those out now. There are actually 4 tiers of dragons:

Common
    Uncommon
    Rare
    Epic

And 4 tiers of treasure:

Common
    Uncommon
    Rare
    Artifact

Right now, only the Rare and Epic Dragons have artifacts, we're working on a better presentation for that stuff...

Have you hit the cap yet?

4. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    #44 Seil, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    I watched Sanuku's video and this game looks pretty interesting to me. I like the art and the game's design. Feels like the design takes the base of Tiny Tower in that you build upwards with the new nests, and the elevator etc haha. But then it runs with it, becoming something new entirely - which is something I love to see. The App Store needs more new and unique takes on concepts like this and less imitations.

I'm always fond of developers that are interested in feedback from the players, too. Taking note of the value of being generous with premium currency and giving a variety of things to use it for is also great.

I like this execution by developers like NimbleBit and Godzilab, and this is the type of system that I support when done well. I dislike the crippling of games in favor of IAP, but I'm not against the use of IAP entirely. Making a game fun comes first, and it seems there's emphasis on doing so here.

I look forward to the launch of Dragon Up on the US App Store so I can give it a go.

5. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Yes I hit the cap probably a day or two after I told you I was at 22. Still have yet to level a dragon to 10 though. Quite a grind! Haha.

I realized that trying to fuse a common item to level 10 is quite hopeless. I did the math awhile back and I think it would have taken over 500 of a level 1 item to get it too lvl 10. Have you guys ever thought of having the fusion working by an experience method rather than just two of the same item?

6. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I think you'll be pleasently surprised once this game goes live in the US. I have probably been playing this for about a month now, which is saying a lot as I usually play freemiums for a few days then delete them when I hit a wall or it just gets really boring.

7. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    512 common treasures to be precise! Yeah that's alot... We've been thinking of doing something cool with Fusion, like maybe when you fuse 2 level 5 commons, they turn into an uncommon. But then that clashes with the idea of having dream treasures that increase gold production, cause you don't want to lose that Common treasure... In any case, we're working on more fun things to do with fusion.

8. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Yea two commons to uncommons would definitely be a bad idea as you would be stuck with only one maxed out dream item, and two gimped dream items. Haha.

I think it'll be cool to have an experience system for each item. Like a lvl 1 item could take 10 xp to lvl up. Fusing with any other items could give them a certain amount of xp. The higher the item used as a catalyst, the more experience given. This would give items without a dream dragon use.

Unless of course you guys do have some other awesome ideas for the current fusion system, then I can't wait to see it. :)

9. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah I like that system, kinda like Rage of Bahamut or other Card Collection games. That's kind of where the idea for fusion came from in the first place!

We're submitting an update today that includes new quests, Food Wizards, and more variety for dragon trips. Opening the door is probably still a month away... It's going to introduce a new mechanic where you take your level 10 dragons and send them off to a dragon paradise from which you are trying to dispel evil and stuff. And once a dragon is there, you know longer have to manage it, but it still makes money for you. And that opens up a new slot for buying a new egg! We're excited about it, but it was kind of a Uturn from where we were headed so it's taking a long time to get it in there AND build out the game features at the same time... Silly us...

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Geez I wanna play this it sounds fun.

11. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    We hope so! Definitely the pressure is on to hit Feb 1 as worldwide launch, so stay tuned!

12. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Updates live! Downloading now. :)

13. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Hope this will be good when it comes to the US

14. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Keeping an eye on this. My girlfriend LOVES tower building games. :)

15. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    So with the new update, the game runs a lot smoother. I'm guessing why the barfing animation was toned down? I liked how it looked before, but the loss is worth the performance improvement.

I'm not a huge fan of the balance updates though. Some of the special chance items are really late in level, and the cost of hearts for a lot of the jobs are extremely high now. And there doesn't seem to be any uniformity to the balance. For example, some of my dragons still cost the normal 50 hearts for a chance at an artifact, while I saw one that was 75.

Maybe I was just spoiled to play pre-balance or it's the fact that I'm in the "end game" right now and coins don't matter to me and I'm only trying to grind for specific items, but I'm not liking this balance change too much! Haha.

16. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Good point, I was definitely balancing for a better experience for new users, I can take a look at the higher level trips with an eye for higher level players.

The performance bump was just a happy accident actually! The barfing was toned down because it was very polarizing. People either liked it or HATED it. But eventually we're gonna bring back a similar animation (except with rainbows, it's awesome) for high level trips or when we have a concept of treasures contributing to coin earning.

Let us know if you see any other problems with the update!

17. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    I think we're aiming for early Feb launch worldwide! It will still be an early version and there's lots to come, but get in early cause we're generous to our early adopters!

18. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Just watched your video -- Looking forward to your game :) Very beautiful graphics!

19. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Some of the jobs for the red dragon with the small horns and beard seem to have errors. "Troll a Troll" looks like it's supposed to cost 40 hearts, but it costs 140. That job, "Make Treant Kindling" and "Tallgate an Airship" all don't have time stamps. Not sure if any other dragons have any of these problems.

Also, I'm able to equip the same items if I swap an item with one in the hoard. This was present in the older build.

20. jimwagner

Nov 15, 2011
    Whoops! Fixed that 140 heart trip, that will get updated in the next submission on Friday. The missing time stamps seem to come from trips that have hours and minutes, rather than just hours. I'll look into fitting them in there. And I'll get that bug assigned this week!

Thanks for the help! It's awesome having great fans when you don't have a QA department!