Is PocketGamer feeling Ok?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lost_Deputy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    PG is one of my fav sites. Mainly due to their sharp writing and often refreshing take on the industry. However, lately their reviews are seeming more and more lost and inconsistent.

I don't really want to go into the philosophical argument over objective valuation over art or media as it has to be in context. An excited gamer listing a pretty new gesture based fighter "best fighting game on ios" an hour after its release may be misguided but they have less weight in their comments. Many forum members given their history DO carry a profound influence in their opinions on games for other members and rightfully so. Given their history of objective opinions they have almost become a official voice on the genre or brand. A step up from an expert voice is an official publicated opinion.

A site offering a "Buyers Guide" based off their reviews and has a direct influence on Metacritic unarguably carries significant weight in its assessment. It has a responsibility to at least follow a constructive and consistent review process. Subjectivity will be a factor but by looking at the variables of game design and implementation then at least an honest assessment will be in the ballpark.

Sometimes it seems like they are either not playing the game for long enough, taking preconceptions about what the game would've been or are just plain tired and disinterested.

Super Hexagon raised a flag for me in only getting a 7/10 but on reflection I thought that it's probably just subjective even though many list it as a classic.
    This year though it has been just flat out strange!

Alien vs Predator got 3/10 (it was obvious to anyone that read the review and played the game for over two hours that they hadn't played it for long.)

Badlands just got a 6/10 (saying it was bland and the random physics made it feel like you weren't in control)

The Other Brothers 5/10 (Saying the nostalgia will only get you so far without good controls yet He-man got 9/10 with controls that the reviewer liked ((but many didn't)) in addition to great nostalgia)

Sorry for the rant but I feel bad for some of the indy devs not getting a fair go. They are stacked against many large companies who directly aim for solid metareview scores and reviews. While they're game might not have the same production values as the other big guys they should be entitled to be reviewed fairly and consistantly on their games merits.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The quoted part is the one I'm going to directly respond to first:

You say their reviews are inconsistent.
    You say that indie games don't have the same amount of polish and production as the higher-budgeted big publisher games.
    And yet you want them to be reviewed to the same scale? A universal measuring stick is exactly what puts the indie developers at a disadvantage.

What you should ask for is to allow more leeway to the indie developers due to the limitations they face - but that's not fair to the big publishers AND it implies that less effort is okay, as long as you "did your best".

But everyone does the best they can - and you can't expect reviews to tell you that a game is good or bad. You will only ever find that out for yourself, as everyone has different tastes and preferences. Reviewers are people too and their reviews are barely anything more than a recounting of their experience with the game.

For argument's sake I just read through both the Badlands and The Other Brothers reviews - and I agree with everything they had to say. I don't know if you focused more on the score that they gave rather than the text, but the reviews I felt were spot-on.

3. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I disagree that a universal measuring stick would put them at a disadvantage. You take off the shiny coat of paint and whats left is gameplay. If this was looked at objectively then there is no reason why a indy gem can't go toe to toe with any EA game. Yet with inconsistent scoring they cannot.

The score is what people check on Metacritic and influences PGs best list. Based off looking at the gaming and development components objectively if Badlands is a 6/10 game then I must be experiencing a different game.

4. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #4 SimianSquared, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Personally I feel indie has to be judged on the same merits as AAA, but with a little slack in terms of if they make an easily fixable mistake (like our lack of dpad options which is getting updated for soon).

But I'm sorry, badlands is a class act and our guys admire that title greatly. I feel personally as a gamer it could be a little cheaper, but that might be because I don't actually have a lot of money.

But 6/10? that's... a little harsh I feel... I would have rated that a fair bit higher. And I won't mention how demoralized the team felt when we read 5/10... it crushed us. But heed my warning: without us little indies plugging away, everyone would be spending $40 per app on their mobile devices, crammed with extra IAP :D

By contrast, Touch Arcade has been around since time began so they have had time to mature and get a system going. I like the TA guys personally and it's why I post here.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #5 awp69, Apr 5, 2013
    I never go by just a review or really any review....but I did think the 6/10 for Badland was pretty harsh. 148apps gave it a 9/10 and AppSpy gave it a 5/5.

I actually usually have more respect for Pocketgamer because they do tend to be more critical and not just hand out 9s and 10s all the time. I just disagree with them on this one. I know there's others that don't feel the same, and I respect that, but I honestly am feeling like Badland is one of the best games I have played on iOS this year. It just feels like nothing else and I mentioned in the thread it's one of the few games that strangely seems to be both relaxing and challenging to play.

To me when God of Blades was getting great reviews (particularly from TA), I was kind of wondering why because it seemed to be all looks and not all that when it came to gameplay.

Badland to me has the whole package - the beauty, sounds and gameplay. But there are probably others that feel the way I thought of God of Blades.

A review is just one person's opinion. Your own opinion is really what counts.

All that said, it does seem like PG has been a little more critical than usual this week. PMS? :)

6. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I don't think there are too many people on TA will buy a game just off a review but sadly we are (as EA is more than happy to point out) a vocal minority. Many people do use scores to decide on their purchases orrrr they just go freemium titles.

I agree Simian that TA do seem to take a more considered approach which is cool. I too was gutted by seeing The Other Brothers getting a 5/10. Especially considering the game controls fine for me. Its my fav game of the week:) The control issue has obviously been highly subjective though and hopefully the word will get out sooner rather than later

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I think the vast majority of iOS gamers probably don't even look at review sites. The casual crowd probably just sees things like "New and Noteworthy" and crap and buys games just because they seem popular.

As for The Other Brothers, it's on my wish list as it does look like fun. I just, admittedly, saw the back and forth about the controls and figured I'd maybe wait for the update. (And I have a large backlog of games....)

8. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Oh you! You'll make us blush if you carry on lol

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #9 Echoseven, Apr 5, 2013
    Numbers don't matter and I'm of the opinion that it's unfortunate that sites like Metacritic are popular.

If you think about it, a game with incredible graphics but mediocre gameplay and a game with amazing, fun and thoughtful gameplay but terrible, 20-year old graphics can both have a score of 6/10... That can't be right.

That's what the core of the issue is at - not with the arbitrary number assigned to the score. Like I said - I read the reviews and I agree with everything they had to say. From my point of view, both the reviews are fair. You haven't mentioned the body of the review - do you think what they said (rather than the number at the top) is fair?

I know 5/10 is obviously demoralizing, but what matters is the review. If they mention a problem that needs to be addressed, if it's an easy fix then you guys have done nothing wrong. Obviously if the reviewer had a tough time with the controls, they're not going ot enjoy the rest of the game.. no matter how good it may be. So, cheer up!

And hey, since when is 5/10 a bad score? It's not great, sure, but to me a 5 means that the game is a decent pick with a small number of issues.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #10 awp69, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    Well, I read the review of Badland and the only part of the review I really agreed with was that it was gorgeous. Calling it bland and questioning whether you really are in control of the game didn't seem like I played the same game. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and it's actually the physics of the game -- like the clones drifting behind you that makes the game more of a challenge because you have to balance how high or how fast you go to keep them from getting killed.

But, again, it's ONE person's opinion. Obviously there were two other people on other review sites that felt the game was excellent (148apps and AppSpy). But those also are just two people.

That's why I like these forums more than I do reading reviews. I feel like I've gotten to know quite a few people and know if they like similar games. Knowing that, I sometimes will jump on a game for those reasons. There are still games that aren't my type of game and I won't buy them just because people say they're good.

No matter what, there's always going to be a game that you like better than the critics or other forum members. And there's going to be games you hate that critics or other forum members love.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    See, that's interesting, because the point from the review that stuck out to me was when they said:

Because that is, in fact, exactly how I felt.

As for the rest, I feel that it's good, sure, but it didn't grab me in the slightest. Does that make it a bad game? Hell no. Just that it's not for me. If I was to write a review of it, then I would arrive at a similar conclusion at the end.

12. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Any review to me is just one persons opinion. I read them more because I enjoy reading them than for advice on whether to buy a game or not. The beauty of the forum is just that; it's a collective opinion that I choose to trust if I'm on the fence. I usually know if I'll buy something at first glance. Sometimes I regret it, most of the time I don't.

13. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed that numbers don't matter....to us. It is unfortunate about sites like Metacritics popularity but thems the times. People want scores. They want the ability to see a game, check a score and download. It could be seen that many of todays media sites like IGN, IMDB and Rotten Toms are based off this public interest in scores.
    Because of this it would be a positive step for sites to try to be as objective and consistent as possible. Orrrr just don't do scores

I should be writing an essay right now. If I get a 50% I know I will think it's a bad score and my markers sure as hell don't have to pay for the chance to read it:)

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    To me, it feels like Pocketgamer has been more critical lately (at least a few of their reviewers)...but I find their taste, a long with Andrew from Appspy more similar to mine. And I like how some reviewers on Pocketgamer and Touchgen to be more critical and less affected by hype or the shiny coat of gloss for the most part.

15. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Than again they could be TA where every game gets a 4 or 5, if its retro and has pixel art and chip tunes than 5 for sure, if its arty and controls like crap once again a 5, if it has anything to do with magic the gathering 5 stars...if it is widely regarded as one of the best games for the genre on ios than they will say it is too niche and won't review it. But I'll be damed if they won't review some other niche tile that most people will never play,say it has crap controls in the review and still give it 5 stars, because its art.....

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^I think Touch Arcade mostly review decent titles, they could do lots of 1 or 2 star reviews but whats the point ?

But at the end of the day we're all different, you're being sarcastic above about retro games with chiptunes and pixellated graphics. To me a game is good because of gameplay, not graphics/tune (obviously adds to the game) but i've seen too many games where they look stunning but the gameplay is dull. So give me blocky graphics or chiptunes anyday of the week as long as the gameplay is key.

I do think some of the reviews on Pocket Gamer are harsh, but as other people have said i like to read the reviews but i dont take their ratings as gospel and often try out the game myself or check out a youtube video. Sadly the app store game reviews are a complete joke, any 'rating' on the app store which is only one line or a few words i just avoid as there seems to be so many fake ones.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #17 metalcasket, Apr 5, 2013
    I didn't go through all what's been said here, but if you notice something...all of those reviews have been posted by Harry Slater. Harry, if you're reading this, please forgive me, but nothing in any of those reviews indicates those games have been played for more than half an hour. I said it in the AVP thread, and it's obvious with these new reviews that it's no different. I understand being critical and exposing the flaws in titles, but seriously...you can't pick up a game and say "the controls suck/it's bland/whatever. 3/10!!!!!!!!!!" and then move onto something else. Put some frickin' time into these bloody games before coming to a decision. Again, no offense, but I'd take these reviews at face value...seems to me someone's trying to be the "bad boy" of iOS reviews.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Ha ha i agree, i did click on the reviewers name to take a look at his other reviews. To be fair i never think reviewers spend ages and ages on a game, often its first impressions and move on it seems.

I've downloaded a lot of iOS games, havent been keen on them and then come back to them and suddenly loved them. Again Slide2play seem to update their reviews (because of updates which might fix issues) which is a great idea and some games might be say 2/5 but then go to 4/5 because the bugs were quickly fixed etc.

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I'm by far not the only one who thinks TA is overly generous, go check the neogaf ios thread for April, there is a perfect parody of a TA review, " I turned it on and it worked-5 stars!"

Anyway it's to the point, I don't ever read their reviews anymore, and just come to the forums, heck even their font page news items are boring. Oh we'll the forums are good.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I agree. I wasn't a fan of that AvP game and agreed with many of their complaints, but it's not a 3/10. A score like that is for games that either don't work or are just terribly painful to play; AvP had issues with controls and repetitive combat but it certainly wasn't game breaking. I could see how someone who is a fan of the genre or the movies would greatly enjoy it.

About the whole PG thing and their reviews slacking off, well, I agree. They've lost most of their credibility IMO. Often their complaints are just tiny niggles, or they give high scores to terribly boring games.

For instance, look at (I know it's old, but a good example) their dead space review. If you all don't like the horror genre, at least we can agree on one thing: the controls in that game were STELLAR. Very intuitive, very easy, no HUD, no buttons, just gesture based and taps and it actually worked: you felt in control of your character. Yet the controls are the one thing PG bashes in their review.

Look at the 9mm review. While I certainly am not a fan of the game, it's a fairly solid TPS and doesn't deserve a 5/10. Their reason? The dialogue was too cheesy (Parody? Hello?) and there were too many "difficulty spikes" (I beat the game on hard and found it FAR too easy and short). They also bashed gyro control (something I almost always love in shooters) and in effect told the reader it was a stupid, useless addition.

I remember being rather irritated at one review in particular, but for the life of me can't remember the name of the game. Anyway those are two examples that really helped turn me off from their site as a whole.