iPhone SDK on Windows?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Monopoly, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Im considering giving development on the iPhone a hand but sadly I dont have a Mac :(

Is there an alternate way to use the SDK or am I out of luck.

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Sh!t out of luck my friend.

3. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Damn...Ill never by a Mac...never!

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Why? They are gods creation...

5. No Mac, no SDK. That's pretty much the end of the discussion.

Macs aren't that bad. I bought one specifically for development. To be perfectly honest it takes a lot of getting used to if you grew up on Windows, but it's not a bad system. I already had some Linux familiarity, though, so that helped with some of the transition.

6. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I personally LOVE macs put do not have the money to afford a MacBook and I refuse to get a Mac Mini (cause i dont have the money for it and cause i need a laptop to be my computer). I wish I could get a Macbook sooooo bad.

I wish they could port the SDK somehow cause I really do wanna try to develop. Me and my friend have some pretty cool ideas. I still would want a mac even if they came out with the SDK for windows.... but then i could make some apps and maybe that could get me the money for it.

*sigh*

Maybe someday....

I'm actually pretty surprised that no one has taken this into their own hands and ported it. I guess it would be a lot of work though...

7. Closest thing but still need mac to compile build it though so maybe just ask your neighbor with a mac to do it for ya.

#2 he had an article on arstechnica

8. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    wow. nice find. maybe i will try that out. i have 2 friends with macs and im sure i could convince atleast one of them to let us use it for the finalities.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wouldn't it be possible for hackintoshes (IBM compatible PCs hacked to run Mac OS X, or, rather, the other way around) to run the SDK?

Or is the SDK updated so much constantly that keeping up the hackintosh update would be an issue?

'Cause, I mean...there are hackintoshes out there that run the official OS X and even allow for actual legit Apple updates. But they have to match the specs of Apple's hardware.

And why the hate on the Mac, TC? Very well built computers, and if you don't like OS X you could always set it up as a dual boot system (one partition for OS X, another for Windows). Hell, you could even go tri-boot if you wish (OS X, Windows, Linux or BSD). And the Macbook Pros are built to last a while, and they've got excellent resale value should you wish to trade up in the future.

Even with the new Pros out, my last years model Pro will last me quite a while, and if I sell it in, say, two years or so I might make back anywhere from almost half to a little more than half of what I paid for it new. I've seen the original '06 models, with the ATI Radeon GPU and older Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo, but Core Duo) go for $800 - 1000 on ebay, and those, iirc, were sold originally at 2 grand a piece (less with student discounts).

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well Unity 2.5 will have Windows support and will allow you to make iPhone apps I believe.

11. Yes, with a caveat: You need hardware that is supported by whatever OSX86 build you're trying to run -- ideally, every piece of hardware needs to be supported, but in particular, video (or else no Quartz = no graphics = no SDK development), audio (obvious), and networking (gotta download the SDK). If you've got something that fits the bill or can build it then yes, you can run the SDK on a Hackintosh.

Not completely. You can probably develop and test in a basic native framework, which will get you most of the way there, but you won't be able to compile to the iPhone. You'll still need the SDK (and therefore a Mac) to do that in order to compile to Cocoa Touch and generate the necessary certificates and such. Also, you'll need to pay the extra license for Unity for iPhone (in addition to the standard Unity license) to compile it for the iPhone, which will set you back an additional $500 per title.

12. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Yes I know. I believe it is $600 for the whole thing not $500 a title. Also, Unity is a app on it's own. It has it's own simulator and let's you run a Unity app on your iPhone. This is how you test the game. When done you export it and it exports as a XCode file. So I believe there is no need for a Mac. But Mac is still the way to go.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Unity iPhone only works on a mac, also you need to use a mac for the final compile before you send the files to apple.

14. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Unity is about to be released for Windows. And from the sound of their page it will let you make iPhone apps.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Following their forums the iPhone add-on is staying on mac, remember that when you buy Unity, the iPhone package is a different application (but you need unity first).

Really, when you own Unity iPhone you have two installs, Unity and Unity iPhone.

16. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Sorry to rain on your party guys, before you can put your game on your iPhone or iTouch, you need to compile and do a lot more things in Xcode (MAC ONLY). Even if you can make it in Unity and run it in Windows, you'd still need a Mac to transfer it to the iPhone.

So to put it simply, NO MAC NO IPHONE DEV.

(Oh yeah a MAC with Mac OSX 1.5 or higher)

17. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I think someone needs to make a bootcamp for windows to run Mac OSX in the background. Macs have it and it lets them run Windows and play windows games, so if someone could make this then it should allow us to use the SDK right??

If only.... *sighs again*

18. yayaba

yayaba New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Well, look at this way. Microsoft would never port Visual Studio and C# to Mac right? The same could be said for how come I can't program .NET apps on my Mac.

19. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I don't have time RIGHT now but later today or tomorrow I will post the details so you see it IS possible to make an app on Windows using Unity.

20. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It isn't exactly a For Dummies guide, but it's probably about as simplified as it can be made, really. You still need to find the right hacked OSX package though. (And for legal reasons, I do not recommend doing this without owning a legit copy of OSX.)

We know it will be possible to write an app on Windows. It's compiling to the iPhone that it won't be able to do. Even ignoring all else, it can't generate the certificates necessary to submit your app to Apple, nor even a developer cert to install it on the iPhone for testing. That must come from Apple and must be done through XCode.