Is there a game that is like playing with Legos?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    My nephew has asked me this about 10x. He just want to build stuff, so nothing like minecraft. He doesn't have an iPad but when he visits he uses mine. I think he is 7 years old. I looked on the AppStore and didn't find one.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Eden Worldbuilder?

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Minecraft Creative Mode.

Eden World Builder's awesome as well for creative mode. (And it's a lot less expensive...)

If you have a PC, you need to get Blockland yesterday.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Can't think of one myself and it seems like a pretty basic thing to ask for I'm actually surprised such a simple question doesn't have an obvious answer I can remember when I was a kid I used to play with 3d construction kit on my Amiga but even that was quite complicated.

I'm sure there must be one somewhere I did find this little flash game while searching but it's perhaps too basic and the iPad kind of rules it out anyway.

Maybe splashing out on some real lego might be the easiest way to go.

5. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Thank you. I may even have deleted that Eden World Builder from my iPad..... Will go check it out.... Sounds familiar.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't mean to be a pain and I'm not having a go but Lego is one thing that really irks me. The plural of Lego is Lego, not Legos. Yeah it's odd like Sheep, one Sheep, 40 Sheep. Sorry, had to say it ;)

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That's debatable. The true plural is LEGO bricks (LEGO as a noun simply refers to the company, not the pieces). When people choose to refer to a block (incorrectly) as a LEGO, pluralization becomes a contentious issue and a quick googling shows just as much support for LEGOs as LEGO.

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    The plural is lego bricks. The collective noun is lego.

"Legos" is always wrong under any circumstances.

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Reference? Oh just opinion...

10. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Lego or Legos, I couldn't care less..... I just want to know if such a game exists. :rolleyes:

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Maybe Blocks!, Bricasso, or Block Builder 3D (there are others too, just try searching)? There are also a couple of official LEGO apps that let you build specific things, but they also include game components, so not pure building as you requested.

12. Well, if you are open to PC suggestions, then this might be something to try out

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Sorry. ;)

From the official site:-
    [​IMG]

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    First of all, it don't have to do what LEGO tells me to :p Second of all, that's regionally biased. In Europe, where the company is located, it may be true, but in North America, people would give you a strange look if you used LEGO as a plural noun. Since the definition of LEGO is at this point, simply a proper noun for the name of the company, or an adjective referring to the LEGO bricks (even LEGO only states that people use LEGO as a plural noun, not that it is correct to do so), usage dictates definition. Depending on where you come from, either LEGO or LEGOs may be correct. However, let's consider common sense. Why would we pluralize the word without adding the conventional "s" to the end? There is no reason. It is ambiguous and potentially confusing. The only sensible answer is that the plural should be LEGOs. We don't say look at all those Toyota parked over there. We don't say that's a big cut, you'll need a couple of Band Aid for that. We don't say I need to put something in this soup, hand me some of those Saltine. Therefore we should not say go clean up all your LEGO off the floor.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Leggo my Eggo.

16. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    I did search Lego and building blocks.... blocks! Did not show up ever, even putting the exact name in. Brickasso only showed up when I typed in the exact name after you supplied it. Thanks for the help.

17. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Here's Blocks! although I cannot say whether it's any good. (I happened to have it boomarked to check out.)

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/blocks-3

As for the plural... "most Lego fans" use "Lego" to refer to one OR more blocks? Really? Most? Most would say, "I have three red Lego left?" No.

You can say "I have three fish." Saying "I have three Lego" is ridiculous. I will continue to pluralize "Legos" according the predominant conventions of the English language (among others) and the actual habits of "most Lego fans." LEGO corporation's opinion on the matter will not influence me, and I don't know why they would even wish to change the use of a plural that has been used for decades and makes total sense :)

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    To help protect their trademark. If the term LEGO/LEGOs becomes a generic term for interlocking bricks of this sort, they risk losing their trademark and their competitors could sell similar products and call them LEGO/LEGOs. Just like the example I gave above with Saltines. Nabisco lost their trademark on that word years ago when it became generic to refer to crackers of that sort as saltines. The real question is not why LEGO wants people not to call their bricks LEGOs, but why anyone would be foolish enough to listen to them. Boxes of Cheez It crackers use the plural Cheez It, as in "gimme a handful of those Cheez It". Nobody would ever actual say that though. Then again maybe they would. Apparently there are people out there who use LEGO as a plural :p

19. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I agree that they can't want people calling other blocks Legos. But why do they care if people call Legos Legos?

(Is is some legal quirk where they can't do anything protect the trademark with an "s," so they have to pretend to care?)

20. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    TY for the link Adams. I downloaded it. :)