MajicRank Issues?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RockRidgeGames, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Did anyone notice any movement within MajicRank today? Neither one of my two games that have stats show up (Western Wind, Kitty Chorus) moved at all today, up or down.

I would expect them to move at least a little, not stay the exact same all day. Kitty Chorus is in the top 100 music games in 18 different countries, but other than a +1 in Japan at 8am, it hasn't changed since this morning.

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Golden Glover lite is in the top 100 Sports in about 35 countries and top Action (as well as sport) in around 10. It has moved quite a bit today in MajicRank, it moved up 24 spots in the US!

3. I guess that most of the countries I'm selling in were just asleep and that I was keeping up with the competition in the US because now it's updating and the ranks are all over the place.

Kitty Chorus... big in Romania!

4. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Most countries don't take much to get into the top 100. I was 32rd Top Paid in Mexico for Stick Escape, and it was only a handful of sales, most countries you will never get a check from.

5. yeah, I'm assuming we got to number 7 in Romania with 2 or 3 sales... not many iPhones over there. We did just jump up to #18 in the music game category in the US tonight, so I'm hoping that's got a few sold copies behind it.

Yesterday was our first full day of sales and we did ok. About 60 copies worldwide, which isn't much I know, but for not being on one of the featured lists, it's pretty good. Hopefully it'll keep going long enough to get us noticed by someone in Apple who can get us on one of the lists.

6. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    60 for the first day isn't bad. I have experienced 1st day sales from (literally) 1-300 and I have never been featured by Apple. 60 is a good solid number!

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I've seen crazy numbers in MajicRank all day long as well but I think it's the App Store going haywire...

The game sub-categories are back in some countries in iTunes (USA at least) but the Canada store is messed up - on the device it says "App Store" for every category, and when you hit those links it shows the "Featured" page. Screenshot: http://twitpic.com/heg5c :confused:

8. I almost wish I didn't have MajicRank... it's like watching an Ebay auction. Nervous anticipation, usually followed by the "doh!" when you see those minuses in red.

It has been really interesting, though, to watch how the world reacts to two different games that basically have the same gameplay but different graphics.

We created Western Wind as our answer to the fart app... a game where you can play songs with farts. We figured it would do pretty well. Good production value, funny audio and animations, and it's pretty unique, even if it is a fart app. Early sales were ok, and it's slowly started to decline since it's release.

Kitty Chorus is the same game but with meowing cats instead of farting cowboys. Simon Sez gameplay and a music composition mode where you can play songs, save them, and play them back for people. We made it as cute as we could stomach making it.

In one day Kitty Chorus outsold Western Wind by a wide margin, and it's moving up the charts all over the world. It was a semi-calculated afterthought to make a game that would appeal to the opposite demographic as Western Wind.