Games Like Dungeon Hunter 4 That Won't Put Me in Debt?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Just finished playing DH4. I fell in love, then it broke my heart and tried to take all of my money in the span of about 2 hours.

Does anyone know of any great games like this that won't charge me to use a potion?

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    DH 1 & 2 (not 3), Orc: the vengeance, pocket RPG, Solomon's Keep (awesome), and in some sense Bastion. Bastion being somewhat similar in ways. And one of the best games on the AppStore.

3. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Solomon's keep or boneyard? I see folks go back and forth between the two. Boneyard LOOKS like a more extensive version, but do these games got that loot factor?

DH 2 is looking really appealing. I really liked DH 4, didn't even know I wanted a dungeon crawler so badly until I played it, but those IAPs killed me. If DH2 is all that, with no IAP, then I guess I'll make the jump, but $7 is a pretty hefty price tag...

Orcs, does that have IAP in it? I hear lots of folks gushing about this one.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #4 JBRUU, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Orc doesn't have loot like the dungeon hunter games, just different weapons and shields. Kinda like Diablo without the loot lust.

Pretty graphics though. Not on par with DH4 but very nice indeed. I believe it was free for quite some time; might still be.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Solomon's Keep feels like a twin stick Diablo to me. Boneyard is like a condensed, arena version of Keep...where you play for high scores and since you level up faster, it lets you experiment with skills. I play Boneyard when I want to mess around with skills..and play Keep for a longer game..

Orcs is decently fun for me..but I'm not crazy about it. It's a pretty slow game to me.. It's definitely high quality though.

6. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    i planned to buy Orc:vengeance but i've heard that you only play in 1 area till you defeat all the monsters then move on to the next one. Is that true? I mean is the gameplay the same as DH4?
    I also planned to buy DH2 but I just wondered if the graphics are outdated and I've heard about the no-sound problem with newer devices.
    PS: Try The Bard's Tale! It's awesome! I'm suprised you havent tried that one yet

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    DH2 is worth the cost.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    AurumnBlade and CrimsonHeart

9. ruka

ruka Active Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Programmer
    Internet
    Seconding Bastion. Great art style, action, control, and narrative. Also no IAP.

Bought it when it was discounted to $0.99, what a steal. The hardware requirement is quite heavy though, so no support to older devices.

10. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    This. I was about to go grab DH 2, but App Store reviews suggest it runs poorly/crashes on the iPhone 5.

11. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    I'll second The Bard's Tale. Pretty humorous, but an all around solid dungeon crawler type game. Instead of recruiting party members, you essentially spawn them, and later on you can spawn several at a time to build up a well rounded party to explore with.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Anyone tried/recommend Dungeon Defenders?

Ku is pretty good too.

13. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    How have the graphics on DH2 held up over time? DH4 is really, really pretty and DH2 looks pretty good in screenshots, but I wanted to get an opinion from someone who's played both before making a decision. I really, really like pretty games. ;)

I gave this a try a while ago, around the time it first came out, on my iPhone. It's supposed to be solid co-op, but playing it solo was awkward and kind of difficult. That was a while ago, though, so take that impression with salt.

14. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    This. I was about to go grab DH 2, but App Store reviews suggest it runs poorly/crashes on the iPhone 5.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #15 JBRUU, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Dungeon Defenders is excellent, in co-op mode. Make sure you have at least an A5 device.

As for DH2, it should run fine on any device but requires the "sound fix" for iOS 6 - open the app to its menu, then press the home button. Then reopen from multitasking.

As for the graphics, you'll have blob shadows, jerky animations, lowres textures, etc. But it controls nicely, has zero IAP and is easily the best dungeon crawler on iOS. Keep in mind this game was quite a looker in 2010 ;)

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Also make sure you realize that Dungeon Defenders is a combination of tower defense and hack n' slash. Fun game but it's not a dungeon crawler.

17. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Have you tried Underworlds by Pixel Mine? That's another old one though; not sure how it has held up against time. :)

18. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I think I can make due with a little hank in the graphics if the content is good. And if that fixes the sound issue, even better. Would you say that the reviews in the App Store saying it's continuously crashing are blowing some issues out of proportion?

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I've never had crashing issues with the SD or HD version, but I haven't tried it extensively with iOS 6 either.

I'd say it's fine.

20. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Bah, I think I might cave in to one of these 2D dungeon crawlers or Dh2 soon.

I tried Orcs and Solomon's Keep.

SK is fun, but admittedly feels a bit too much like a twin stick shooter than I'd like. Loot rarely drops, if ever, and combat seems to be mostly strafing, getting stuck in a corner, and then running through potions. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, but it doesn't scratch that itch in the way I was hoping it would. Still pretty nice for a free game, though.

Orc: Vengeance is really, really pretty, but the combat is just a little too stiff. To be fair, I'm a little new to dungeon crawlers with only the first Torchlight under my belt, but still. When fighting larger enemies, it's hard to get any good attacks in without depleting almost all your health. Even when using a sword, the fastest weapon type, it's hard to even get a swing in without getting hit a lot, and the character doesn't move quickly enough to allow you time to outrun attacks AND get a good hit in. I guess it essentially makes it feel like it doesn't matter much which weapon type you choose, so long as it has high attack values and you've got a stash of potions. Even worse, I'm really only able to swap out my sword/axe/hammer and shield. I got armor equipment at the beginning, but so far, I've yet to see an opportunity to improve my armor at all.

TL;DR: Both Orc and SK make me feel like I'm relying more on potions than anything else. I just wish my armor and weapon choices felt like they made more of a difference, or allowed me to employ more unique strategies.