Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. zakonnick

zakonnick New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Poland
    #81 zakonnick, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    So far I'm enjoying the game very much. There are few glitches, but overall it's really great app.

I have one extra promo code (US AppStore) for Neuroshima Hex and i'm willing to give it to one of you for free :) If you're interested, just PM me and i'll send it to you right away.

Cheers!

Edit 1: Lan was first, so I sent him the code. No more codes, sorry.

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
  3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Maybe it is just me, but I shared the view of needing help for the tile info for the first few games. But then I went and actually read the manual. Since then I haven't had to look at the help screen one time and I ended up bumping the difficulty on quick games up to hard.

For a really fun challenge, try a 4 player ffa on hard. Haven't beaten one of those yet, but I have been getting crummy tiles.

So what does the speed do in the AI settings, anyone?

4. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    AI speed affect's the animation speed when AI plays the tiles. It's basicly for begginers, so they can set it to slow to see what exactly AI does.

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Game is beautiful. I'll be putting up my review sometime tomorrow on the AppStore.

I cannot WAIT for (GameCenter?) Multiplayer.

6. Lan

Lan Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Really enjoying this game. I've considered the actual board game on BGG many times and it's great to be able to play it on iPhone. The games feels nicely polished and it's a great job overall.

A few things
    - Being able to easily pull up the unit info for any piece in hand or on the board would be nice (like double tapping on a piece)
    - Asynchronous online multi would be awesome. Then I can convince some friends to get in on the game
    - Game Center

7. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Instabuy

Nice polish.

This has the polish and feel I got from Carcassonne when it released. This looks very good on iphone 4 or ipad @ 2x. Yes, the symbols are a little challenging for the noob or a player that hasn't played in a while, but 2 games and you will be comfortable.

Now, Carcassonne is a little simple and dry for my tastes when playing against the AI. It is also counter to how I like to play. I prefer to make a move or two a day as part of my routine and play against real humans. I don't tend to sit down and play for 2 hours at a time unless I'm mastering a game's rules. The days of playing games for 6-9 at a stretch are gone for me. I suppose it might be all those kids running around...

Games such as this, Carcassonne, Words with Friends, and others when offering casual turn-based play tend to be evergreen. They provide huge value for the $$ and they get played daily for a long, long time (at least by me and the people I know).

Online async play is a must. IMO, this is exactly the type of killer app that takes gaming to the next level. High polish, established IP, and asynchronous casual online play with the worldwide community. I guess we only need the online play... :)

Congrats on a top-notch release.

Oh, and I expect the other armies/expansions, boards, limited edition tiles, etc. real soon now. :) But please, online play first, then expansions. You'll get my IAP dollars, don't worry.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I would like async, but I would a version like Carcassonne as well if not more so. The games do not last long at all.

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Ooohh... if you do release expansions, PLEASE, if you choose to do it via IAP then consider also releasing a 'Premium' version with all expansions - else those of us with Jailbreaks would not be able to give you our money!

Jamie.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That "Babel13" variant/expansion looks VERY cool with the introduction of terrain and all!

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It also allows even more players at a time (I think up to six?) you just use terrain tiles to expand the board. I think it would do AMAZINGLY well on the iphone/ipad because all the resolutions are handled by the game.

My biggest problem with the boardgame (both the normal and babel13 versions) was that I hadn't played enough to know how to resolve things so my opponent had to do it... he always seemed to win to... :(

12. peilei

peilei Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    By my math there are 8 armies released for NH total. We have 4 today on iDevices. Also, 2 expansions that include new boards, so 3 boards total. Also, terrain tiles, and some form of campaign play as well as a several expansion tiles that are usable in battles.

That's a decent amount of expansion capability.

I own NH and all expansions and extra tiles except The Duel expansion and the Duel Chain Reaction Cards.

What I have found is that it is a relatively complex battle simulation due to initiative and some of the powerups and it hasn't hit the table in my gaming groups very often due to this. With computer resolution of the battle results, I think this will get lots of play both in person and with net play (in the future.)

13. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Enjoying this game a lot so far. One kind of (?) bug I've found...

After you discard one of your three tiles, there appears to be no way in-game to undo the discarding and restart with your three tiles, if you've made a mistake. However, if you pause the game (say, to go look up something in the rules) and then go back, your turn restarts from the beginning, and you can choose to discard a different tile. (Presumably you could also quit the app to restart your turn, but pausing and unpausing is a lot faster). I admit I've used this on purpose a couple times since discovering it. I'm not sure if you want to disallow this, or simply add an undo button so players can undo their tile discard in-game...

14. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Meh I'm gonna wait until online multiplayer is out. Not having it in a game like this upon launch is a maaajor failure IMO

15. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I really wish i could get this game. Too bad i have $2.97 in my account and the game is $2.99....

16. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Really enjoying this game....

Bought it and didn't now the rules so i'm still trying to figure out all the stuff but nonetheless i'm really loving this.

The artwork and everything else is just top notch.

Don't know if it's because of the rules but i also think an undo option after discarding a tile would be nice.

As for multiplayer i can only say that i'm wanting that if it will be an option for multiplayer with something else then gamecenter (still on a 3G here :( )

Overall i give this a 5* rating and really hope the other stuff existing in the board game come soon (new armies boards etc etc :p)

Keep up the excellent work :D

17. Dinodog

Dinodog Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Great game really enjoying it .....to the devs how long will we have to wait for the 1st expansion...babel 13 looks good hint hint..

18. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Will not buy without multiplayer.

Will buy instantly with... Poor choice to launch without.

Add asynchronous soon before people move on and we have no one to play and it dies that way

19. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    What does asynchronous mean?

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Not at the same time.

So instead of both players being forced to stay online and play the game in it's entirety, players can log out and make their next move whenever they like. Usually a game will notify a player when it's their turn to play