Forgotten Memories - A psychological survival horror

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kugi_igi, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    I'd pay $1 for that!

2. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    Hehe.

3. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    I would like to see peoples opinion about FM once we get really close to release and let them decide an honest (but also competitive) price for the game. :)

4. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    In two years, I'll let him get FM free if he buys FM2. :D

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Damn. I'm a hardcore settings tweaked on PC and I don't know what a few of those are.

Lemme see if I have this straight:
    A6/A6X: 60FPS with maxed out settings
    A5/A5X: 30-45FPS with nearly maxed out settings, texture quality reduced
    A4: 25-35FPS with low settings, only one light source and low texture quality.

6. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    I'm adding NOAH picture, otherwise other peoples won't be able to see it. :)
    Again, this a sweet sexy character from the game. Image effects are done in real-time (sepia an noise filters). Jpg compression artifacts aren't part of those filters. :D
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    You got a pretty accurate guess. You are right.

8. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    I'd actually be willing to pay $10 for this, easily. I'm sure many others feel similarly.

$10 is today's iOS "serious gaming" price. Too much for the kids. Imminently affordable for those of us who earn a living, and not too much to elicit too much of an Internet stink.

I say go for $10! ;)

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Still amazed that you got this to run on A4 devices that well, seriously that's a big accomplishment IMO. Look at the Walking Dead - it's mostly realtime rendered cinematics and it runs at about 20FPS with constant crashes on A4.

10. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    This!!

11. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    That could go on forever in a loop! :)
    Speaking of time and releases, now that our framework is completed (or almost completed :)) we will introduce at least 1 game yearly. The biggest development time spend was for our gameplay framework (F.O.G) and lot of researches/development into graphics techniques too. But they will be the foundations of our future games and hopefully we should release with that solid based all kind of horror games more often (instead of a 3 years time frame base).
    Cheers,

12. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    Can I ask how you guys are funded?

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #2513 JBRUU, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I think EA should recruit you for another Dead Space game. I'm not kidding the controls are already there, PERFECT controls for a touchscreen, and with your heavily modified Unity engine and FOG it would be unbelievable.

Especially since the game is mostly just rendering hallways and minimal enemies onscreen at a time, it would be very, very close if not on par with the console version graphically. Take the audio and a lot of the console assets/animations and there's a bunch of the work already done.

14. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    The way we do lighting in our game it's totally different of traditional ways.
    I'll write a postmortem about our techniques once FM is published.
    We already got approached by several AAA studios asking to license our rendering system. :)
    The issue we are trying to resolve now (well, optimize could be a better word) is memory for 256MB devices. Our scenes have enormous amounts of data. We've been a bit lazy on that side, like adding gigantic textures to small objects and then tweaking texture scales multiplier globally, which is pretty bad way, so basically what we are doing now is inspecting every single object in the game and tweaking his texture resolution/compression in a case by case scenario. I can't even write a tool to automate that, as the artist must see by his own eyes how the object looks. But yeah it takes lot of time. Just think about it, every scene have about 60-100 objects in overall (some of them have even 200-300 instances or more), multiply that by the amount of scenes in the game which is about 100. Pretty much. :)

15. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    #2515 tatoforever, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    We actually can render a pretty huge amount of stuff on the screen, due to the fact that we do everything in one single pass we can double or even triple (depending on the scene) the amount of objects on screen. What we've shown till now is nothing to what you are about to see in our comming videos.
    Our overall outdoor scenes are fully loaded with complex trees and grass of all kind (and animated)!
    I would like to extend any existing console franchise on iOS. Resident Evil, Dead Space, Silent Hill, whatever, I'm a hardcore survival horror fan. That's also one of our plans once FM is over, approach the big guys and make some sort of deals with their existing license and make out something with our framework.
    I'll be glad to transform Resident Evil/Silent Hill into a bloody gruesome fest survival horror again with an old school emphasis. :D

16. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Tato can you remember 7days salvation fron old symbian device?it was i good game:D

17. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Are you actually planning on making sequels? It would be great if you are!!!

18. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    Pretty nice little survival horror yeah.
    My fav are the ugliest ones (which by their time was pretty advanced in tech). :D

19. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    We want to establish a survival horror franchise. It doesn't mean it have to be a direct sequel of FM1 (i can't comment on that now). All i can say is that our F.O.G framework is there to produce upcoming survival horror titles quicker. :)

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, more power to you. I love survival horror, just there isn't barely any on iOS!

Been meaning to ask this for a while: are there physics are enemies? I mean, ragdolls for when they die, maybe a few dynamic objects in levels that can get knocked around, etc. Adds a lot to immersion IMO if everything doesn't have a scripted animation :D

Edit: oh, and I'm pretty excited that now mobile devices have some serious power, did you hear that the iPad 4 can now do more GFLOPS than the Xbox 360? :D