Game Engines

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by futuresgreen, Nov 9, 2012.

1. futuresgreen

futuresgreen Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Hi :) What would you say the best game engine is to use ? Do you use different ones for different projects/games ? Does it make any difference in terms of features or quality ?

Thanks

Darren

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

All three are Free* to try so if you still haven`t decided yet with which Engine you or your Team should go then my Advise would be to simple Download the Client and read or watch a few Tutorial for those Engine and sooner or later you should have decided with which Engine you will move forward.

*= The Mobile Build of the CryEngine can be requested from Crytek directly.

3. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    If you're talking about a "complete package" engine, I'd have to say either Unity (if you need to run on Mac AND Windows) or UDK (if you're ok with having to run it only in Windows).
    CryENGINE 3 is also amazing on a technological and visual level, but the lack of documentation (and possible higher system requirements) makes it the weakest link, in my opinion.

All in all, I'd go with Unity. Powerful (especially now, with version 4), multiplatform, user-friendly, intuitive, uses C# and/or Javascript, has great documentation and support, etc, etc, etc.

4. gambitph

gambitph Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    If it's just 2D, you can try CoronaSDK :)

5. CSE_Dave

CSE_Dave Member

Nov 8, 2012
    At City State Entertainment we have been using Unity for most of our needs, it gives us the flexibility to produce for multiple platforms without a lot of hassle and it provides a great core for making the products we have and will be making.

That's not to say its the end all of engines, its good for making indie mobile games, and that's good enough for what we are doing.

6. CockyCulture

CockyCulture Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    If you're aiming for 2D try Multimedia Fusion 2 at www.Clickteam.com. I created the first version of my game, Pocket Ninjas, with it in just over 3 weeks. They also have Windows Phone, xBox, Flash, Java, and Android runtimes so you can pretty easily port your game to other markets.

7. FlowStudioGames

FlowStudioGames Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Co-Founder
    Europe
    We have started developing in Unity 3D half a year ago after one simple game in Cocos 2D. Unity is amazing in terms of speed, flexibility and many plug-ins. Our new game is also 2D but still we can make it in Unity pretty easy. The only bad thing is price of Pro version but if you don't mind Unity splash screen and missing Profiler then it is free.

8. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Adobe AIR

9. jlauener

jlauener Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Using cocos2d-x. It's 2D only C++ engine, lightweight, free and cross-platform.