★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium is a fad?

09-04-2017, 08:30 PM
One thing I would like to point out is that even though Days Of Wonders has released several apps of their board games in digital format, they're still primarily focused on publishing physical board games. That means they rely on their digital board game implementations more so to drive sales of their physical versions. As such, they can better afford to release products on the cheaper end of the spectrum, whereas someone who's an indie dev may not have other revenue streams.

I will acknowledge that modern board games are still quite a niche market. Even though Ticket To Ride has sold 3 million copies, that's on the very high end for modern board game sales, so in some regards, the overall digital board games market is a niche market of a niche market.

As for freemium itself, I will confess I'm still into them, despite having quit 2 of them in somewhat recent years (Plants Vs. Zombies 2 after about 2 to 3 years, and Castlestorm: Free To Siege after about 8 months)... I just don't go crazy with them since the usual time, and I still have many premium/non-freemium games I need to get through, that I already purchased.

It is nice to have tried out games for free. Yes, ads do cost battery and data, but at least on my Android phone (as opposed to iPod Touch 5), I can get internet in most places (as opposed to being tied down by wifi), and can swap in a new battery if I'm running low. I'm currently doing that with Tomb Of The Mask. However, if a freemium title has too much drudgery, I'll delete it (which I have).

Last edited by ackmondual; 09-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.