Discouraged from buying the 6s+ now, you?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ramzarules, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Was planning to, but as if ios 9 gamebreaking wasn't enough (Hi Capcom and Squeenix), now there is the "pulled from purchase history" thing. Would it be safer to buy an android smartphone for mobile gaming this year? Does it discourage you? Do you think devs will jump ship and we'll be left to free to flap clash of timers in the Appstore?

Please discuss and give me your opinions as fellow gamers, because 1k euro isn't something i can just shrug off in a couple of months as a failed purchase if these shenanigans continue on ios.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    How much of the smartphone capabilities do you actually use, aside from gaming?
    E.g. do you need access to Google Maps while on the road? Do you use it for Internet surfing on the go? Reading emails? Etc.

Tally it up, and if the result isn't high enough for you:
    Consider buying a dumbphone (I still use this http://www.emporia.eu/fl-be/producten/overzicht/elegance because all I need is like 5-10 phonecalls a month, tops) , and go e.g. for an iPad Air with only Wifi.

About gamebreaking:
    I am certainly not your average user case, with my very specific tastes (mostly RPGs and Tactics/Strategy) and very limited time to play. Personally, I don't see a problem for years to come. My backlog is huge, and new games keep trickling in constantly.
    Of course, for someone with a different taste in games games breaking and devs retreating might be a problem. A lot depends on which games you play.

Android:
    None of the Android phones (even high-end/high-price ones) I read reviews seems to be better than iOS/iPhone in total. Sure, they have advantages in some areas (e.g. one has a better display, the next a better speaker); but when considering the overall package, they all fall short.
    And Android tablets are even worse, from what I know.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    You think Android apps are immune to being broken by upgrades in operating systems? Read this. You may as well invest in a Vita and a flip phone if you are that worried about it.

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    It's not an exclusive problem of Appstore.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I was planning on getting a 6s+ this christmas but now im undecided. MHFU was my deciding factor.

6. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #6 chaos_envoys, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    I switched to android since they removed ifunbox compbility on ios 8.2... And really loving the droid!! For me, android performance and iOS performance is pretty much the same.. My dad's note 3 cluttered with junk antivirus apps are as laggy as my iphone 5.. But my note 4 runs flawless~

For me
    iOS plus:
    +Many good games on app store (Bastion, MHFU, Transistor, and many more, but this plus side is damaged by current app store problem)
    Minus:
    -Can't manually backup game savedata if the dev didn't implement it as of ios 8.2 (MHFU..... :( )
    -PPSSPP will not run well because no access to DYNAREC JIT (requires jailbreak)

Android plus
    +So many emulators (loads of PSP, GBA, NDS, and PSX games are on my phone now)
    +Savedata access
    +More customizing option (arguable)
    Minus:
    -Play store games lack some iconic game that I really want to have (mentioned on iOS plus)

Considering the plus and minus, IMO android is better. This whole app store problem makes me play emulator games more since my save can always be used in another device or OS~

@EP: MHFU is the one game that makes me keep my ipad mini 2.. Really love the native app for mobile gaming!

7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i bought the air 2/wifi-only a year ago for gaming and it has paid off marvelously. With the 6s+ i was aiming to have a sort of "air2 that could fit in my jeans with mobile internet everywhere.

So, after today's appstore news, and given that i would mostly use it for gaming, i started looking into android smartphones. sadly, all the benchmarks show the 6s+ smokes the galaxy s6 etc... But on the other hand, i don't trust the appstore now. What to do?

What is the single best android gaming smartphone? youtube sais a toss up between galaxy s6 edge plus and note 5?

8. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Let me speak from the experience of an ios and android gamer.

Look I own a Galaxy Note 4 as my phone and an iPad Mini 2 as my tablet which I primarily use as my mobile gaming device as I enjoy variety and believe me in all I am about to tell you now.

To begin, never consider buying any samsung device for gaming no matter how recent and innovative they appear.

This Note 4 is my last samsung device ever and I will never look back.

The Note 4 is a great phone in all ramifications except when it comes to gaming. The screen is splendid and productivity features are next to none and unrivaled. The S-pen is the best so far but since your concern is about gaming let's get to it.

For one you mentioned euro which means you are in europe and would most likely purchase the snapdragon version of the Note 4 if you decide to go for that phone as there are no exynox versions here in europe at least here in Germany.

Any single game you install on that device (Note 4) will stutter and lag to hell and back no matter how simple the game is. Anything you tap would take ages to open even with the 3GB ram.

Real Racing 3 is practically unplayable as the framerate would dip to a single digit and turn to slideshows once a race begins plus all the cars look overtly pixelated, ugly and with few details on them. Also they appear blurry compared to its iOS version.

Not just Real Racing but almost every game looks pixelated on it and stutters, what I believe is caused by the QHD screen.

Gaming performance on the Phone is terrible and I hear people saying same for similarly specced Android devices like the Nexus 6, even the current Note 5.

Compare any game side by side between my Note 4 and my iPad Mini 2 and it will look crispier, shinier and play much smoother on the iPad Mini 2 (check Asphat 8, RR3 or any game on both devices for that matter). It is like a special kind of care is put into iOS versions of games only.

Secondly, most games on the PlayStore are free to download even if they are paid games on the Appstore. This means you will rarely come across premium games on the PlayStore and there are countless games I play on my iOS that I have never seen on the PlayStore ever (Halo Assault games, Bioshock, Transistor, Battle Supremacy) and an endless list of iOS only games.

When you peep into the PlayStore you would be depressed at the lack of decent games, just junks. Compare that with opening the Appstore and going to the game section.

iOS also gets game releases weekly so there is bound to be something new everytime while developers treat the PlayStore as an afterthought sometimes after years.

I don't know about iOS 9 or iPhone 6S plus as I am still very contented with my iPad Mini 2 on 8.4 when it comes to gaming but in the future I am planning to switch permanently to an iPhone with a big display (may be 7 plus or 7S plus) or even a Lumia phone (like the new Lumia 950 XL) and even if I am to stay on Android, it will never be a Samsung ever again.

Be careful what you choose as you may end up regretting it. I chose a Note 4 for gaming, coming from a Note 2 and HTC One, and believe me my regrets ever since that decision has refused to go away.

It doesn't help that Samsung phones have useless resale values so I can't sell a phone I bought for 650 euro in January for 350 euro now.

Besides gaming, the Note 4 trumps iOS on any other thing a phone does as I have extensively compared it with my sister's iPhone 6 plus.

There is nothing like plugging your phone into any PC and having access to your files and documents immediately without using any third party software like iExplorer or iFunbox.

But whatever you do, think it through before buying an Android device strictly for gaming.

I wish you luck.

9. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I don't know about Real Racing since I don't like that game, but I play Chaos Rings 3 on my Note 4, and there is no framerate drops at all.. And Chaos Rings 3 is a graphic demanding game...

About the lack of games on playstore, there is Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Wars KOTOR, Shadowrun and Dragonfall to name a few... They are lacking a few like bioshock and transistor, but bioshock isn't playable on iOS 9 now.. You got the advantage of emulating many of psp and NDS games!! I play MHP3RD HD, Persona 3 Portable, Tales Of Eternia, and many more on my Note 4.. It's my primary gaming device for more than half a year now.. Don't know why yours are lagging like that..

10. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Nothing wrong with Android but I don't really think recommending people playing a bunch of emulated games (let's be honest...those are 99% pirated games) are a good alternative.

11. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Maybe Windows mobile with Windows 10 integration. Lol.

12. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #12 chaos_envoys, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    FYI, I have the real UMD of those games and I ripped the iso from it.. pirating is a choice, and you can always order the UMD cheaply from gamestop or something..

@Ramzarules 6s+ benchmark beat android phones on single core, but in multi core, even my note 4 still beats it since it has only 2 cores...

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Those are CPU benchmarks. Go ahead and compare GPU benchmarks. Since we are talking about gaming, those are the more important numbers. Well, as long as your games are running fine there is no need to bother about it though.

14. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    First of all, thanks for the replies and opinions guys.
    The GPU benchmarks for the 6s+ seem unrivalled right now, and from gaming review videos the games load much faster and run at least 10 fps faster than android devices.

The only reason i am considering the jump to android is this "remove from purchase histories" thing that is going on. Let's hope Apple gives an official statement and things get resolved, though it looks good that some games have returned for now.

15. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    IMO, just wait for a solution for this app store issue before switching to android.. people seems to have mixed opinion on gaming on android, so yeah..

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    That purchase history thing looks like it is resolved. Check the recent articles on TouchArcade about it.

17. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap! So 6splus it is :) now the question of 64 vs 128.. but i will have it for at least 3 years, so i think i will go with 128 :) Thanks everyone!

18. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    128 is the only option if you can afford it.

19. Darkmeteor

Darkmeteor Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Maybe the apps history download is resolved, but one big problem is still there, a lot of these old apps won't work anymore because of app breaking iOS updates.

20. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Or, well, developers who just dont care enough to update their apps.