Anyone noticed weird changes in Ranks?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cramzy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I use appFigures, and observe the ranks of all our apps on hourly basis. I noticed extremely weird change over the last hour...almost impossible change. For example, our app 18,000 COOL JOKES was (for US AppStore) #20 in Entertainment, and it got to #24.It was #104 in the overall charts, and got to #126...just in an hour...it sounds very weird to me.
    Another of our apps, EXPERIMENTER was #96 in Education and got to #83 in this hour.

The most weird thing is that the other apps do not seem to have moved so significantly, but I just don't believe the apps could've made so much difference in such little time.

Anyone observing the same?

Cheers,
    ILIYA

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I thought that was just how the rankings worked, with a floating window over several days? I don't have any exact details, but for arguments sake let's say it's a 3 -days floating window:

Day 1 sales: 300 copies = 300 copies counted
    Day 2 sales: 100 copies = 400 copies counted
    Day 3 sales : 50 copies = 450 copies counted
    Day 4 sales : 0 copies = 150 copies counted
    Day 5 sales : 0 copies = 50 copies counted

3. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

The thing is that such huge changes when you are near Top 100 overall, usually mean huge changes in sales, which are not much probably in my experience. The weird thing is that all this happened over 1 hour which makes it even weirder to believe. And on top of that, ranks are now frozen.

I guess Apple is doing some maintenance + bug fixing, but I wonder when was it buggy- before that 1 hour or after it? I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Cheers,
    ILIYA

4. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    I noticed similar strangeness. Expect some app store changes this afternoon with a renewed focus on media for the new iBook.

5. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    I mean media for the new iBooks ! I forgot the s :)