Card Thief

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Tinytouchtales, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    #1 Tinytouchtales, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017

Card Thief has been released on the AppStore.

New game thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=302910

This "upcoming game" thread is closed.

----

Hi,

today we officially announce our Card Crawl follow up game Card Thief!

Card Thief is a solitaire style medieval heist game played with a deck of cards.

You can check out our Dev-Blog at www.card-thief.com. I will try to frequently update this thread with news too.
    Additionally you can follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

[​IMG]

2. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Pre-ordered :)

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Super excited.

CardCrawl is a masterpiece of elegance, one of my favorite games of 2015 (the constructed deck + quests really added to the game imho, loved it) so I'm super hyped by this one.
    I tried the prototype and it was really damn interesting...can't wait!

4. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Wow, I absolutely loved Card Crawl! Looking forward to play the new one! Instabuy for me...:)
    And I'm excited to see the new design.

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
  6. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #6 zen_mode, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    This looks amazing. I've only lightly skimmed over the blog so far, mostly looking at the gifs, but I like what I see. The mechanics look interesting.

My wish list from someone that still spends a lot of time with Card Crawl:

* Retain the art style from CC. It was obviously both unique and exceptional. Simply sitting in a game was a nice place to be. This was one of my favourite aspects and it would be a shame to see it gone.

* Balance CT around emergent gameplay, rather than complexity, just like in CC. The best aspect about the latter was the draw to keep coming back, even after unlocking everything. I hope the former will have at least the same level of depth arising from various seamlessly interconnected systems. I love being able to experiment with different decks in the constructed mode, and for me that is what still keeps CC interesting for me, the *experimentation* and of course the interesting choices that the player is faced with.

* A low power mode similar to CC. I'm not particularly fussed about animations and it's mostly about the gameplay for me. This was something I enabled straight away in CC as soon as it became available.

Of course there is other aspects like frequent save states, one-handed playability and a coherent UI based on best practices, however I trust you already have these in spades just like your previous efforts :)

If you need another tester let me know. I would be happy to give detailed feedback and suggestions.

7. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for all the kind replies.

@zen_mode Yes, we are trying to stay true to Card Crawls art style. Card Thiefs gameplay is quite different from Card Crawls since it's much more tactical, which one would expect from a stealth game. There's a lot of planning for each turn involved. This time i also focused on making the cards interact with each other a lot, which has more potential for emergent gameplay i think. Equipment cards in Card Thief will be similar to the ability cards, you can take a few with you an see which combination will fit your play style best.

8. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #8 zen_mode, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    That's good to hear. I remember playing this tactical stealth game last year, although it's obviously quite different to your current efforts:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=253968

It's the only stealth roguelike I've played on iOS, and although it was quite tactical the thing I didn't enjoy about it is that it got fairly tedious in later stages when trying to avoid detection.

L&V also shares quite a few mechanics from Hoplite, and although the latter received a lot of praise, I found that it also suffers from tediousness in later depths. I think it's a common design trap for highly tactical roguelikes, but it can definitely be avoided. For instance 868-Hack and Desktop Dungeons both have great game flow, although the latter is obviously a much more expansive experience.

Looking forward to seeing how this one evolves. Might give some feedback when I have time to read through the blog.

9. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah, i have only seen the vampire one, but i also put some hours into the awesome Hoplite. Obviously those games have a very high tactical depth due to their bigger board space. Card Thief in that regard will be more like a puzzle that has some tactical elements. And sure as soon has i have a solid alpha i will open up for testing as well.

10. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Super excited! The first game continued to get better. While I didn't originally like solitaire sage it grew on me and got addicted! The only problem is I have to many games to play and not e laugh time to play them. Getting old is hard with balancing responsibilities.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I want this VERY badly

12. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    well that news made 11 hours of nightwork brighten up a bit.

13. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I played Card Crawl for a while. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this one too.

14. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I'm really excited about this one!

15. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Is there a timeframe for when this is expected to launch?

16. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Well i try to keep my projects small. You can never fully estimate how long a game will take but as reference Card Crawl took us about 7 month. I will expect Card Thief to be on an equal time scale. I don't think we will manage to get it out before July, but you never know. As said i will keep this thread updated so you can see how far we are.

17. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Excellent. Can't wait.

18. Tinytouchtales

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany