Best iPhone Golf?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ReformatPlanet, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    So i see Ernie Els Golf in the app store today. Looks nice.

I still haven't picked a golf game for the phone, the selection feels slim.

I was curious if anyone could recommend a title, or knew of one on the horizon that would put all the rest to shame?

2. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

I know EA is porting Tiger Woods PGA golf to the iPhone, however I do not know when it is expected to be released.

3. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    well I have Par 72 golf and Gl Golf. Out of the two I think Gl is better graphically. In Par 72 the graphics are a little choppy. But Just from seeing the screenshots of Ernie Els Golf, I have to say it looks better than both Gl and Par 72. But like tizzylerO3 said EA is gonna make Tiger Woods 09. And after playing Tiger Woods on Wii and Xbox And seeing how great Spore was I don't think EA will let us down.

4. I would have thought a good way to control your shot in Golf would be to swipe the screen down and then up- the speed you swipe measures strength of shot, while the line of your swipe measures draw/fade.
    However, from what I have read, GL Golf and Par 72 do not use this method.
    Ernie Els says it has 'clever pull back and swing input' but doesn't really say what they mean by that, and I don't really want to spend £4 on it incase it's not what I expect.
    I think when Tiger comes out it will have the control I want as that's what they did for the DS version, but until then I'd like to see some reviews of Ernie Els.

5. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    well if you like putting I just released neverputt on the appstore today :). Only $0.99. I will work out how to put a link to it and post later !

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  7. That looks good! I have bought it as it's such a bargain price ;) , and I will post my first impressions. Thanks.

8. I've had a good go and think it's a great game! Obviously not a proper Golf game- rather Crazy Golf. But it does what it's meant to do VERY well. Nice easy controls, smooth gameplay.
    There is definitely room for improvement-
    1) the 'Play' and 'Help' buttons are too close together- I wanted to press 'Help' and selected to Play instead 4 or 5 times before I actually hit the right button.
    2) Exactly the same problem with the 'Back' button on the player select screen- if I try and select to go back, I often select 1 player instead and go on to play the hole when I wanted to go back in the menu, which leads me to...
    3) No way to quit a game once you have started. Perhaps double-tapping the screen should bring up a pause menu where you can return to the menu.
    4) On the hole select screen, how can you see the hole you are looking at the description of if you have your finger on the picture? You should be able to tap on one, then press a select button at the bottom of the screen for example.
    5) No sound. The sound of the ball being hit, it falling into the cup, and perhaps some crowd cheers would really help here.
    Other than that, good. I shall post my review on iTunes.

9. lazrhog

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK

Thanks for the comments. I will definitely be doing an update so Ill try and make that list happen (not sure about the crowd sounds though :))

On the hole/course select screen, you can hold your finger down, and just slide it around to see the text if you want to. It doesn't register until you lift your finger off the screen.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for any Appstore review

10. #10 wastedyuthe, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    Yes, I know you can move your finger from one course to another, and when you move your finger over a course, the text describes that course. My point is, when you have your finger on the picture of the course, you can read about it, but can't see the picture of the course the text is describing as you have to have your finger held on it. It's just not ideal, but then I suppose the picture only shows one hole of the course anyway. I would prefer the other points to have priority over this. I am definitely having a lot of problems trying to use the Help and Back buttons (being too close to other buttons). I know they won't be used that often, but it would be nice to have a menu that is easier to use.
    Good to play though- like it ;)
    I have posted my review- price taken into consideration- 4 stars out of 5.

[EDIT] Another idea- when you are playing solo, perhaps you could go without telling the player that it's 'Player 1's turn on every shot. It's pretty obvious it's player ones turn- there's only one player! When the ball stops rolling, it should just cut straight to the next shot if playing solo.

11. lazrhog

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK

All good comments. Thanks.

12. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I should have mentioned that i would also be interested in a mini-golf game. I picked up Neverputt and think it's fun. Basic, but great for the price, and the core game play is solid.

Could use a few more bells and whistles, but it looks like most of those issues are being addressed in this thread.

Thanks for the recommendation.

As for real golf, it may be Ernie if i can see some footage and a review. It'll probably price drop soon like everything else.

13. Ernie Els has been given 1 user review of 5 out of 5 stars, but all it says is "at last a decent Golf game". Not much help.

14. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    we can post something on Ernie golf tonight

arn

15. Thanks- looking forward to it.

16. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I only got to play it a bit. It seems quite good actually. Blake was going to do a full review. I haven't played many of the big golf games so I'm not sure I'm the best judge.

It does offer more options than I'm used to in my playing of rather simple golf games. Club choice, of course, direction, etc.... Strength and accuracy are well done I thought. You pull back with your finger and then slide up to strike the ball. You're accuracy hitting the ball determines direction. So it's more "realistic" a scenario than typical.

There are also differing types of swings you can choose from, as seen in the attachment.

anyhow, we'll try to get a full review up soonish

Attached Files:

17. Thanks for that Arn- might just buy this after all.
    I like your choice of words- "we'll try to get a full review up soonish"
    Love the site btw- my favourite site atm to keep me up to date with the apps.

18. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Yes, working on the Ernie review presently.

I still want Zany Golf for the iPhone.

blakespot

19. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
  20. Thanks Blakespot. I have posted a question comment, asking how you measure the strength of the backswing. Nice review.