What's up with Apple and Adobe?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Phoenix526, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Phoenix526

Phoenix526 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    #1 Phoenix526, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #2 debtOFskittles, Apr 11, 2010
    Apple hates flash, especially on mobile devices, because, in all truth flash is a terrible runtime environment. It was designed to be an animation platform, not a robust application development environment. Flash is a resource hog and should be left to devices with enough power to waste on it. Flash is outdated and inefficient - Jobs is smart to keep it from crashing our idevices.

Apple doesn't hate Adobe - Adobe is a pretty good company; flash was originally not an Adobe product

3. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #3 Psykikgmr, Apr 11, 2010
    I'm actually kinda with apple on this. Adobe flash is badly written, it's slow and problematic, more so on non-windows machines and they require more power than it really should.

With the introduction of HTML 5 there really is no good reason to keep using flash anymore, it's much faster and does not take as much system resources. That's why some mobile devices have a very limited version of flash (it's too taxing on the system).

Flash needs to die off and eventually will, though those old flash games will probably never be ported over, but the newer ones in the future, most will hopefully not use flash anymore. Most of the big sites are migrating away from flash, such as hulu, abc, and much more. I cant wait until flash is a thing of the past and will be waiting for Hulu to finally migrate over to HTML 5 as they already stated they're doing.

I'm glad one of the big players I's doing something to block flash, it needs to happen.

4. Phoenix526

Phoenix526 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    So what you're saying is the ipad doesn't need flash?

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    "Never wound what you can't kill", Eddie Brock.

A decade ago when Apple was dying, Steve Jobs returned. He proposed a kind of partnership with Adobe as almost Adobe user base was made up of significant Mac users (you know, almost all professional creative in the industry use Mac). Looking at history, Photoshop was first released on Mac-only, so naturally Jobs was hopeful.

Surprisingly, Adobe ignored Jobs and waited for Apple to die. Adobe kept treating Mac users as second class citizens, especially with the slower Mac version of Flash. They jumped on the Windows bandwagon even if at one point 90% of their users used Mac. They didn't fix the bloated code of their Mac softwares.

Unfortunately for them, Apple didn't die. Apple grew bigger than ever and now, able to buy Adobe with a fraction of their huge cash cushion, Apple have no sympathy for Flash.

Thesedays nobody wants Flash. Microsoft wants it dead so Silverlight could flourish, Google doesn't like any proprietary tech and Firefox isn't friendly either. If anything, it's a karma lesson for Adobe.

6. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    As much as I hate Flash, the real problem is that there currently is no good alternative available for many things. Videos can be handled by H264 or Theora, but can you really suggest a viable alternative for the sorts of games you'd find on Newgrounds?

I'm also quite puzzled as to why Apple is taking such a strong stance on this. They don't have much of a reason to truly hate Flash from a business, because the only thing they're remotely competing on is video; it's not as if Apple is pushing their own scripting platform to complete with Flash. I can only guess they're doing it because they don't want to deal with the customer support issues it would cause.

7. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    well I think the reason why Apple is like this because this will limit there overall control of the platform. I am only speaking about the clause which bans CS5. I think that this all stems from multi-tasking for iPhone 4.0 Since the new iPhone OS uses these APIs to be able to multi-task then let say that CS5 becomes all the rage for iPhone development, Adobe pretty much have Apple by the balls because they can choose to use this as a bargaining chip against Apple to include Flash and this also stems from Flash uses on the Mac because Apple said that they sent numerous data back to Adobe to fix it but they never did so Apple is quite bitter and they don't forget. All in all this stems from Flash on the Mac being buggy

8. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    What?? U sure cuz I heard that Adobe Flash will be integrated into Google Chrome.
    Unlike the other users I think that they are having a dispute because Apple blocked Adobe's new cross platforming tool for converting Flash apps (Flash CS5) into the code Apple uses for apps. Apple is now only allowing the apps to be codes in one of three languages. Steve Jobs responded by saying, "We've been there before, and intermediate layers between the platform and the developer ultimately produces sub-standard apps and hinders the progress of the platform."

9. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    That's one thing I can definitely agree with, having seen the crapfest that's resulted from Microsoft's .NET framework (and its many, confusing, and often incompatible versions).

10. doubler

doubler New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Android, WebOS and BlackBerry will be supporting flash, so it will be another war on formats and standards.