What are your "game deleted" pet peeves?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by geoelectric, Jul 28, 2012.

1. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    For me, it's using notifications as advertising. Nothing pisses me off more than a lock screen full of "buy my new game" or "you haven't played me for 7 days, come back and buy my IAP" type messages. This is doubly true for games that, for whatever reason, don't honor the Notification Center iOS settings. I'll take a game off my device immediately for that.

I know we have some prominent members that won't buy any games with consumable IAP. There must be other lines in the sand.

What are yours?

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I use an iPod Touch 4G with only 8GB and I have 1.9gb always occupied due to MC3. So yes. File sizes make me remove games. Too big files of course. I try to finish it or at least get stuck, then I use appbackup from cydia(I never use iTunes on pc:p)to backup the applications data and I'll go back to it later. If I remember.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If a game doesn't respect the mute slider on the side of my phone.

It's a shame really, since I deleted some games I would've otherwise enjoyed, but it's an automatic delete and blacklist in my book.

Also notifications popping up even if the app asked me and I said "no."

4. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    • Game shoots an ad at me before I can even start playing
    • Game somehow bypasses notifications, even after I selected not to allow
    • If a game passes itself off as free but is really a demo with the full game locked as IAP (games such as Ghost Trick notwithstanding)
    • Arbitrary difficulty designed to force "optional" IAP
    • Any game that has IAP that costs more than a premium Square Enix game (i.e. $99 IAP that basically insults the intelligence of its audience)

As you can see, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to apps, and there are other reasons I've deleted games within the first few seconds of starting them up. I'm not generally a douche, but I have standards, even when I'm down and out. I'm stubborn like that. :cool:

5. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    You do know you can turn off notifications like this, right?

6. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Forgive my ignorance but which app/game is MC3? Thanks ✌

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Modern Combat 3. Gameloft's flagship first person shooter. Should be coming out with the sequel soon.

8. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yep. Dunno if it's an iOS bug or a noncompliant game, but it doesn't always work. Either way, it's misusing the mechanism.

9. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I don't mind the odd ad but when you get, like, 4 or 5 in a row..

Games that are nigh-on impossible to progress without IAP.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    What he said:

11. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Certainly if they aren't up front about it! Problem with ads scales up the more games you buy. I tend to keep my devices mostly full of games (I don't carry music or video on them) so I'm pelted constantly if I have more than a few ad-notifying games installed.

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    When games that I paid for go freemium...

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Games with file sizes so big I have to delete a bunch of other games and then forget about them.... Also since it's sometimes triple the size I can't even tell how much I need also games now are just not even loading for no reason, it says unable to download get it on iTunes or retry when I already have enough
    Memory etc..also happens with updates. Also when u pay for a game that u don't even end up playing cuz it's not that good and/or u sti have 50 other games to play etc...

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #14 awp69, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    This. I hate ads and the like, but if a game goes from paid to freemium, if it's not done in fairness to those who purchased it, it automatically becomes a huge strike against the company. I don't know how many games I really got pissed off at because of the way "early adopters" are treated.

There's ways to keep both populations happy, but in the end I think the only true way to keep things good is to release a second freemium version. That way no one feels "burnt" by a dev who decides to change their business model.

Oh, and games that are "bloated" like 99% of Gameloft's games, size-wise, they tend to get deleted rapidly. Space is a precious commodity for me and while I fully support pushing graphical limits, etc., I think a lot of devs are just too lazy to optimize games. Madfinger is an example of a dev that's completely the opposite of Gameloft -- great looking games without having to have huge file sizes.

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This. Hate it.

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Games that don't include audio options which allow you to mute the music but keep the sound effects will usually not remain long on my phone.

17. Only conversion that I have seen go well is Major Mayhem, they gave early adopters coins to unlock levels and buy things, made it retina ipad, added game modes, and added more costumes and characters. Too bad more freemium conversions couldn't be like this.

18. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I insta-delete any game that steals assets from Torchlight.