Universal [UPCOMING] War in the Skies - Air combat / Dogfight Arcade mobile game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Aleid Cross, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Aleid Cross

Aleid Cross New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    #1 Aleid Cross, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Hey Guys, i know that we should had think about this before, but i have a few questions for you and i'll really appretiate any help:

1) How do you think that we can monetize our game?
    - Ads?
    - Rewarded videos?
    - Selling it as a premium game?
    - In-app purchases?

2) As a gamer, the game catch your attention?

Well, here's the game that we're working on and is just about to be finished:

First, a video for you to check our progress:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIRQ7MxyZ5s

As you can see:

- It's a mobile game (iOS & Android) controlled by acelerometer or joystick, were you have to complete missions against enemies in air, ground and sea. Destroying enemy objectives or protecting allies airports or units from destruction. You have to fly around the world fighting against a unknown enemy that will reveal himself as the story progresses.

- You can choose between 3 pilots with different abilities and 3 airplanes that you can customize upgrading their indicators such as attack, defense, energy, among others, adding new weapons or personalizing the skin of your fighter.

- Also you can hire mercenaries with different abilities that will help you to attack or defend the missions objectives.

- We're planning to release a testing build for you to test and i know that is a little difficult to give me feedback before you play the game, but what do you think? any suggestion will be really appretiated :3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you so much :3

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/warintheskies

2. EvilKyo

EvilKyo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Cool graphics, planes and explosions!

I think this is a refreshment over the Ace combat-like games. It looks very arcade, i love the easy to pick up and play kind of games and filled with destruction XD
    This game looks like it.

Anyways, about your questions, i think that you may sell this game has premium, but it depends on how much content do you have. But if you have multiplayer, maybe is best to use videorewards to offer cosmetic changes or level ups to increase the plane’s power

Looks good overall

3. Aleid Cross

Aleid Cross New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Hey, thank you for your comments and suggestion.

The game has 23 levels and a survival mode, but no multiplayer. At least not for now, but if you think that it is completely necessary, we should think about it.

About the premium sell, i think is a good choise, but we don't have much experience in this area, all our games are free with ads or with in-app purchases. I wonder if it is much difference. Another alternative is to give extre $ or upgrades to the player with video rewards.

Maybe with a good placement, marketing and feature in the stores, it would be a success, but we don't have much budget, so, we'll have to find a publisher to invest in that part. However, we are looking for publishers :)

Does our plan sounds good?

4. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I'm going to be brutally frank - if you are just now considering your monetization plan, it's too late. F2P hooks (or lacktherof) need to be built into the game's foundation, you can't staple them to a finished game and expect them to work. F2P games rely on voracious user acquisition to work, since almost all of your player base will never spend. This presents a huge problem with single player games because social competition and virality is a big driver of new users and retention. I would look to games such as SkyForce Reloaded for some ways you could incorporate some social elements.

Do you have a significant, sustained marketing spend set aside to get the word out? Even featuring in the AppStore isn't enough to keep a game afloat in an overcrowded market. I worry that your plans involve the AppStore equivalent of winning the lottery, because "If this happens..." should not be the lynchpin of your success.

You will always get the regulars on this forum telling developers that they should make their mobile games premium. From a consumer standpoint I agree with them. From a business standpoint it's suicidal. The premium games that succeed on AppStore fall into two basic categories - mobile studios that built a reputation before the AppStore turned into a complete cesspool, or ports of successful games from other platforms, Steam especially. Add to that the fact that accelerometer games are inherently divisive with mobile players, and you have an acquisition problem right off the bat.

If I was your publisher, I would've recommended you kill the mobile version and release it on Switch, a platform that needs content and can support premium gaming. On mobile you would be called out as a greedy developer for charging even 3 dollars, while the same players would gladly pay a fair price on Switch, because it's Nintendo or something. I don't know, I gave up trying to understand hivemind gamer hypocrisy years ago. Apart from that, you're already using the usual tricks. Sadly, there are no magic bullets in mobile game development, even with a huge bankroll at your disposal.

5. Aleid Cross

Aleid Cross New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    I was terrified since i read 'I'm going to be brutally frank', but also is exactly what i needed to hear.

To be honest, i launch this game at 2010 at web platform, but it was so much ugly and it has less functionalities. I though that if i can remaster it and launch it to mobile, it could be a big hit. Your post bring me down to the earth, it's such a bad idea to think about monetization at this point, but talking out with some friends that had lauched games and succeded, i get the the conclusion that videoreward are the best choise, offering the player to multiply his gained $ after a mission, offering a free upgrade or hire a team of mercenaries for free.

Launching in Switch sounds like a great idea, but is very difficult to get the devkit, spetially because i'm in Chile and the devkits are only delivered in USA or Japan. Maybe if i get a publisher that have a devkit and is willing to test the game there, it could work.

In the meantime, i don't think that a mobile version can be a bad idea, or even a PC version for Steam, at least until i get the chance to publish in Switch. Getting a little cash to survive.

Thanks again!

6. MarryKen

MarryKen New Member

Mar 31, 2018
    “free to play” games are only growing in popularity

Probably one of the best known business model types for games in the mobile space, “free to play” games are only growing in popularity. The concept is simple: you give your game away for free, and you sell things inside the game that lets the player customize their experience. Although dominant in the mobile space, this model is spreading to social games, MMOs and even many desktop titles. Don’t be quick to dismiss it!

7. Aleid Cross

Aleid Cross New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Good advice, but i think is a little outdated, the model is in the gaming world for a long time and we have to go a little further to get revenue. I'm fan of the rewarded videos, since the user decide if they run the ad or not, is less intrusive and the user is rewarded with something valuable for him. Also is very easy to integrate.

About the in-app purchases, always is a good idea to integrate them with the precaution that it's not become something that unbalance the game.

Thank you for your opinion :)