Any reason not to put a full fledged game on the iDevices?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ShadowsFall, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Well, ever thought there would be a Halo port to the iDevices? Or a Counter-Strike (A fps game for the PC) on the iDevice too? Maybe even a Fallout 3 (just joking ;P..)?

Well maybe you can!!! With the help of a 15-20$ price tag on the game! And with controls (which arn't very hard with the help of the Forums) into a long hour funbomb for the iDevice... As said from a Dev at Ngmoco, iDevice >= PSP + DS... Or something like that.

You tell me if this could happen or it CAN'T happen...

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    how many threads have their been that are like this heheh :D

3. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    First off, thinking that Counter Strike or Halo could ever be on an iPhone or iPod Touch is absolutely ridiculous. Like seriously, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Even if it does, everyone including you will probably be complaining about the controls. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Second, none of the big companies like Valve will want to target the iDevices as one of their markets because it will make them little to no money. From the current price range that the App Store is going at right now, Valve could not sell a decent game for $20+

"Well, why not lower the price to $9.99? How about $0.99? Let's go with $0.99"
    Why would they do that? If they do that, Valve (or any other big game company) would not make money off of it. The main point of companies making games is to make money off of the games they develop. If they just sell a full-fledged game for only $9.99, they would lose so much money. They would much rather target the PC market where they could sell it for MORE money and have MORE customers. Not everyone has an iDevice.

Sure it's possible that a full-fledged game could arrive onto the App Store, but no company is that dumb to do that.

4. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Disadvantages: Downloading. Downloading a 1-2GB or more game would take a long time and use alot of bandwidth. Also if the game has frequent updates it could become annoying.
    Controls. Even with the help and suggestions from customers, playing a full fledged game like Halo on an iDevice would most likely be a frustrating experience compared to a Console or PC. The controls in Terminator Salavtion for the iPhone were decent though, so maybe a smart developer could pull it off.
    Screen. This is minor, but playing large games on an iDevice wouldn't give you the same experience as on a console/PC. Controls and HUD would get in the way and minimize the viewing space.
    Cost vs Revenue. Due to the large number of apps in the App Store it is difficult for a dev to get noticed and make a significant revenue from the game. And the price expectation for App Store games (like $9.99 being the 'premium' price point and the large number of 99 cent games means that devs wouldn't make much money compared to selling the game for a PC or console. Of course a game like Halo or Fallout would get a lot of downloads though.
    Overall I do see full fledged, high profile games eventually coming to the Idevices as the hardware is upgraded, but not anytime soon. Also iDevices have proven themselves to be ideal for 'pick up and play' type games, which is proem by the large number of 99 cent games in the Top 25. Personally, I would love to see high profile, large games come to the App Store and think it will happen eventually, but not anytime soon. But who knows, developers ARE starting to realize that iDevices have serious potential as gaming consoles, so we might see devs making full fledged games soon.

5. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    1 reason this isn't going to happen: Apple.

The current app store "top 25 games" list is made by volume sales, not sales price & volume.

Example: A $20.99 app selling 100 copies a day ($2099 total sales) vs a $2.99 app selling 105 copies a day ($313.95 total sales) it would show up in the app store that the $2.99 game is of a higher ranking. A $0.99 game selling 110 copies ($108.90 total sales) would appear even higher in the rankings.

*This* is what causes the apps to race to $0.99. It has retarded (literally, it's slowing the growth of their market in a non-linear fashion) the process of development for the platform.

Also, it makes no sense for apple themselves. Selling a larger volume of content vs a more unit sale per product, even with automated sales, still requires bandwidth etc. from their servers.

However, it *does make sense* in the case where they don't actually want to pay for bandwidth (200mb games and such) and so they make it so that the prices are so low that the large-content projects simply *cannot* exist.

6. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    No why would devs spend time on creating a game when they can create a shitty one like the idiot test and make thousands of dollars :)

7. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Well, i'm not saying they can do that, download will take awhile, but it's like downloading something off the computer. Same speed, not much of a difference.

The reason why games come up to $0.99 is because they are basically just pickup and play games, not the full thing.

It doesn't have to be large too, it could be compact. Just online features, or just a simple rpg game.

These are just some ideas that MIGHT be possible. Myst made it through to the iDevices, Zenonia has quite a lot of gameplay, and of course some other games.

What i'm thinking is maybe upto 200mb at most, $10 would be a fair deal to everyone, so think... Something simple that doesn't take up much space but has a lot of gameplay. There are many who own a iPod Touch or an iPhone, profit will raise up dramatically depending on how much gameplay, graphics, and etc.

Of course people already thought of solutions of controls for different genres of games. Well, someone already created a demo of Portal for the iPhone, so why stop there? Valve seemed very happy for their making. The iPhone will have the potential to acually run these games, then again.. As I said earlier, there is probably a limit to how much memory the game has.

So lets stick with this... Livefire/Killtest has a great ability to do just that, and the game Touchpets is just like Nintendogs from the DS.

So yeah. I kinda made my point since i'm in a rush to go to sleep lol...

8. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i wouldnt say that about valve, theyre porting portal to the iphone as we speak >_>

the gameplay video is on the main page

9. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    That's just an example.
    Plus, that isn't Valve, I'm pretty sure.

10. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    nevermind, it isnt "full-fledged"

11. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Reason: direct result of people saying "I will wait till the 0,99 $ sale". Right now, future of appstore is going full speed to a pick and play 0,99 casual gamestore ONLY

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Haven't you read the 10 commandments? Commandment #7: Thou shalt not sell full-fledged games on the AppStore. See? If someone did, God would smite them.

13. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Yes, that's the real reason!