For Fun - Estimate the "Value" of the @AppStore tweet

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TinyTechnician, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Hello

For any of the devs here, that are also on twitter, I'm sure you know that the App Store has an official twitter account (can't remember when it was created...couple months ago maybe or not even that).

Anyways, I monitor (or try to monitor) anything Apple or App related and was curious as to what the "value" was of the official @AppStore Promotion tweet. The ones they do on a regular basis with the #appstore hashtag.

At first I was thinking maybe $10,000 or so but then I remember reading all those figures/stats posts from indie devs who basically state...as soon as Apple decided to notice/feature them...the downloads and money just started rolling in. So maybe the tweet is much more valuable or maybe less valuable since it's only a one-time thing.

So what say you...throw out your guesses. This is just for fun :)

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Anything Apple touches turns to extremely must have gold. Whether the product is good or not, it will sell very well. This includes their own products, as well as apps.

3. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    So throw out a figure...what do you think the "value" of one of their tweets is (in $$$)?

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

$19.95 if you order now! (plus applicable sales tax)

5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    If it was an open auction system where the highest bidder get the tweet, then it would likely go beyond $10k. There aren't that many ways to get massive number of downloads and a tweet from @AppStore goes a loooong way to accumulate downloads in a short period of time.

But to accurately put a price on the tweet, I'd need to do a lot more research. I don't follow @AppStore and don't know if tweets are accompanied by a feature in iTunes or the device. I'd need to follow it for weeks and check every tweet against iTunes/devices and isolate apps that are only tweeted and not featured. It'd take a few more days to confirm the movement on the charts. I'd also want several more data points to really be able to value the tweet correctly.

Even after all that, I'd be able to figure out the value of the tweet to only me. Large companies with lots of ammo can afford to pay a higher price expecting to make it back when the tweet combined with their other marketing efforts push them into the top 10.

6. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I understand what you're saying here...if the tweet is attached to other things in the App Store listings then yeah it's hard to figure out if it's the tweet that is giving an app more value or the "other" areas.

I started this thread just for fun though and for the sake of making it fun and simple...lets say it's just a tweet and nothing else. :)

The value of 1 AppStore tweet is what roughly?

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We had one of our games tweeted in the first couple of weeks and it amounted to a boost of a couple of thousand, and it was all over within a couple of hours. Features on the App Store are more worthwhile.

8. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Wow, congrats! And thanks for sharing the info.

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    No problem :)

10. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    So their tweets are sorta like the featured section, the people at Apple decide which apps go on?

11. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I'm not really sure how the Apps they tweet about are decided but I'm sure it is a similar process to how Apps are listed/featured in the App Store. Basically someone at Apple decides using...magic formulas.