GeoDefense Swarm Strategies here

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by skyye06, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ommo

Ommo Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I cleared "The Hatch" after many many tries. Unquestionably the hardest level so far. Just a sidenote on the strategy (I never got round to taking a screenshot): I felt it was too schizofrenic to upgrade all over the map so here's how I did it.

1) I set up a maze like the one in the above post.
    2) I used ONLY thumpers for the first three rows. And tossed in 4 shock towers towards the end.
    3) I set up 3 missile towers right at the exit (really the only way to deal with the star creeps).
    4) When my maze was set up I started upgrading like crazy. But ONLY at the end of the maze. The missiles got to level 5. The most strategically placed thumpers reached max level. The shock towers made it to 4–5.

I had only 3 lives left, but quite a bit of money. I didn't loose any lives until wave. If I had timed the upgrades better I'm sure I could have made it spotless.

2. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I must have attempted hard 1 a hundred times or more. I have tried every combination of towers and upgrade levels you can imagine and I have what Must be the best maze, but the final 2 waves just own me every time.

As much as it pains me to say it, I have to admit defeat. Somebody for the love of God, help me out here!

3. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I wouldn't say The Hatch is the hardest level, because the strategy is so obvious. It does take fast fingers though. The key to beating it isn't any specific setup, it's just that you have to spend the money as soon as you get it, or you will get caught upgrading too many things at once and creeps will get by.

I think Nucleotide has the least obvious solution, but then making long un-upgraded mazes seems to be a strategy that a lot of people start with rather than my usual strategy of maximizing upgrades.

I definitely think Looking Glass (Hard 7) is one of the easiest levels in the game.

As for Hard 1, you just have to make a REALLY long maze of blasters, and then fill in the extra spots with missiles and start upgrading.

4. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #84 maelstrom83, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Spoiler alert... attached photo. Just completed it again to get a screenshot. Not pretty, and I would ordinarily try to do it again without losing any health, but this should give you an idea of how I ran my maze. Blasters first until you build the maze out, then missile towers. Once all missile towers are down, begin upgrading.

Attached Files:

5. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hard 3 was really tricky for me at first. Every time I'd think I had an effective maze, I'd suddenly get overrun. Now I love the level. You're right about The Hatch. It's more about timing upgrades than tower placement, per se.

I'm definitely loving this version of GeoDefense, though. As so many have said, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy open-field TD, but it's been awesome. Frustrating at times, but awesome.

6. Kadath

Kadath Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Any tips on medium 2? I think I've made about the longest maze possible each time but I keep wiping around level 22 or so due to the fast movers... Can't figure out how to balance enough slows and missiles, though I have never really upgraded any of the pea shooters, not sur if that's a mistake...

7. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    #87 Elysium, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    One level 7 shock ought to hold you over for a bank of level 6 missiles. You can add a second shock tower so you don't get caught defenseless while upgrading your main.

Man, I just replayed Thump This! for the second time (originally beat it on the first try a while ago) and man, that has to be even easier than Looking Glass. By wave 5/10 my maze and upgrades are set and I don't have to do anything else to win.

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    You got me to skip ahead a few levels to try out Thump This! and you're right, it's pretty easy! I beat it on my third try after i figured out how the creeps moved and stuff...

9. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    can anyone give me a little hint with Singularity? Rockets or lasers?
    Thanks!

10. JaNeetoch

JaNeetoch Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Rockets.

11. MCHamster

MCHamster New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    How about a big hint? I'm about to break an iphone.

12. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    If you don't want a perfect clear, you can simply start building missiles at each green source hex at the same time. Force creeps along all four edges (so, for example, you could force them all to move clockwise). Once a path reaches the next corner, just sell a tower and connect the paths.

Eventually you'll have one long path around the entire edge of the map with a single exit. Upgrade the towers at this exit.

13. IanNas

IanNas Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    "Thump This!"

I was surprised about "Thump This" too. Took me 2 or 3 try's and then I was wondering why the heck is this a Level 5 Hard Map!!! [IMO - there's certainly a lot more Maps earlier than "Thump This" that are much more difficult!] I think it should have been, perhaps a High level Easy Map. This way some of the controversy regarding it's value and strategy might have been resolved or understood early on. I now use the Thump Towers when ever appropriate and like the new element they provide in strategy ...

14. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    #94 Elysium, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    I just made 4 vertical lines of rockets (about 5 towers long from each exit), upgrading periodically, then placed 4 lasers in line with the creeps. Should clear perfect.

Edit: Hmm, actually I'm having trouble replicating my perfect clear that way, but your clockwise method did it perfect pretty easy.

15. Ender17

Ender17 New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    anyone playing the endless levels?
    I've been playing easy level 10 ever since I got to it, but can't get higher than wave 143
    I see a lot of scores on the leaderboard over wave 220, I have no idea how to get that high, I've been juggling as much as I can

here are a couple of screenshots from my best game

Attached Files:

16. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    I haven't been able to perfect it with just missiles, but a few lasers in the right spots makes it easy.

17. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thanks! Welcome to TA!:)

18. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Yay, #47 on Hard 3: The Race is On.

I definitely used the spiral laser strategy, at the end, it may even be overkill!

This, just like the first geodefense, is my favorite game and honestly the best bang for your buck out there. I honestly would pay much more for it after all the hours i've spent on it!

19. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    Try beating my score in Looking Glass. I've been #1 since like the first day, and no one has come close yet.

Granted there are only 599 recorded scores, compared to 50,000 in level 1.

Speaking of that, if there are 50k scores recorded for the first level, and you have to imagine that at least half the people that buy Swarm will NOT sign up for openfeint (probably higher), that's at least 100,000 units sold. Of course, that doesn't account for piracy.

20. Lewisell

Lewisell New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Slightly Buggy

I'm having so much trouble with hard level 8. I've tried everything i can think of. Has anyone got any strategies? I'ts the only level I have left to beat.