★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dragon's Watch - A battle RPG - Dev updates

02-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Will there be a beta test? I registered on the site.
And do you have a discord channel?
02-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi Ivica - there will be beta testing, but we'll be doing it one country at a time probably.

Thanks a lot for registering on the site - we promise we won't spam you - what we will do, though, once we're ready to launch is let everyone who's pre-registered know that the game is live, and gift you some in-game stuff for free as our way of saying thank you for being a supporter right from the start!

Who we are thesecretpolice.org
What we make dragons.watch

02-17-2017, 11:19 AM
To be, or not to be online?

Hello all. We thought it was about time to give you a bit more info on the game.

One of the things that has frustrated us in the past is to load up a mobile game only to find that you can't play it because you're not connected to the internet. One of the great things about mobile games is you can play them anywhere, any time - or should be, at least.

So, with Dragon's Watch, we've worked really hard to make the game playable offline too. Basically, if you don't have an internet connection, you can still play, for up to 24 hours. As and when you have a WiFi or mobile signal, Dragon's Watch will automatically sync with our servers, make sure everything's OK, get hold of any updates etc.

And so onto combat... a few more details.

Each character in Dragon's Watch has an element, indicated by their color - fire/red, water/blue, earth/green, light/yellow, dark/purple. Fire's strong against earth, water against fire and earth against water. Choosing the right element to fight a given enemy gives you boosts - so a blue hero will perform well against a red one. Light and Dark characters both get attack boosts against each other - so light is extra strong against dark, and vice versa! Elements is just one aspect of combat strategy, but it's an important one.

Attacking with two or more heroes of the same element also gives a combo boost - so think carefully about how you position your squad on the revolver.

Lastly for this update, let's talk about special moves. Attacking enemies gives off mana, which you collect to power up a hero's special move. To trigger a special move, you pull that character's segment of the revolver out and release it to unleash the move. Some heroes have devastating attacks, others will heal or defend some or all of the squad. No two heroes are quite the same!

Let's round off with our character of the day - The badass baking bandit of Filchett Forest - Goodlove. You'll meet him pretty early on in the game, and he's likely to be one of the first people you recruit to your team.

More soon!

//Harry - The Secret Police

02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
This is awesome, guys. I really can't wait to play it! Being an artist myself, I'm loving how your concept is coming together. I'm a big fan of watching how the behind the scenes stuff unfolds as far as art direction.
02-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequence View Post
This is awesome, guys. I really can't wait to play it! Being an artist myself, I'm loving how your concept is coming together. I'm a big fan of watching how the behind the scenes stuff unfolds as far as art direction.
Thanks @Sequence!
I'm so glad you're enjoying these posts We've put a lot of hard work into the game and it makes us really happy knowing that people are excited about it!
I'll be doing another art related post soon, so keep an eye out!

In the meantime, here's a concept for one of the characters you'll see in the game

Gina / The Secret Police

Yesterday, 04:40 PM
Don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to be rude, but......

Last edited by yankeeblue000; Yesterday at 04:44 PM.
Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretPolice View Post
Hey TouchArcade community.
You may have seen the announcement about our game, Dragon's Watch, the other day on TA's front page, so now its no longer a secret, we can actually talk about it!

In case you missed it in the news article, here's the trailer.

YouTube: video

Rather than just throw a load of features right into your face and be done with it, we thought it may be more useful over the coming days and weeks to go over features in more detail.
There are a few reasons for this, firstly a list of features is just that, we don't want to make our game just a tick list and say "Here, this is what it is". It means more to us than that.
Secondly, we figure it may be interesting for you guys, to see what's going into the game in a bit more depth.
Finally, and most importantly, you guys are gamers. We're making the game for you, and we want your feedback as we go. It'll help make our game the best it can be.

My name is Squize and I'm the combat engineer on the game, there's no one from marketing talking to you here, it's the actual guys who are working on the game day in, day out. We want you guys to ask questions, and If you have a question I can't answer, then one of the other guys from dev or art will pop on here and answer it for you.

And I think that's enough for an opening post. We're really looking forward to being active members of the community here and getting to know you all.

Squize / The Secret Police

PS. Check our sig for links to the Dragon's Watch site. There's a rumour that signing up there will give you extra gems once the game has launched, but lets just keep that our secret for now.

Will this have timers and gem grinding galore? Will this have boring auto battle battles? Will this come with all the f2p trappings & shenanigans that most if not all these Asian Rpgs come with This looks like all those other soulless games in the genre but the art work is a little more inspired and there is the Battle wheel but that looks more like a gimmick than actual strategic value or fun There are so many of these games on the AppStore It's the horrible cash-in trend that will not die, to make these simple, unninspired, greedy, f2p cash cow clones Who knows I may be wrong Your game might be the exception We will see Good luck and not to dupe people out of their money but to actually bring enjoyment and satisfaction to people who don't ordinarily play these games That's when you know you have a great game When you can sway the gamer towards playing your game